• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Exhaust flange nuts

Is it dry or lubed torque spec you want?
Both lubed and dry torque specs would be great. I wasn’t planning on using never seize, because I’d rather them not fall off on me, but if you suggest it, it’s easy enough to put it on there. I was reading on some other thread and they were saying 7 ft/lbs, which seems like too much. I want to get them good and tight but also don’t want to pull the stud out of the front of the head.

John, I was being facetious. I don't know or care what the torque value is. I use a 100mm (4") ring spanner and tighten as hard as I can with this pathetic amount of leverage. My arm is calibrated in ft-lbs (not Newton-metres, I'm old skool :angel:).

If he's worried, then the Nord locking washers mentioned above work very well in my experience.

As an aside, I once tried stainless steel locking nuts on one of my Cali 1400s. Now that was a mistake, three of the four galled so tight that they all screwed out of the head, and were impossible to undo even when placed tightly in a vice and a socket bar as long as my arm. Lesson learnt!
I definitely want to try the Nord locking washers if I have any problems with all new oem nuts and washers.

IMO, some fasteners just make using a torque wrench a "too hard to do."

IMO, header flanges can fall into that category. Getting a torque wrench to fit and operate on, e.g., my Norge's "inner" header nuts, at least with the tupperware in place, is an [expletive deleted :swear:].

John Z likes the term "wrench art." He isn't talking about decor. :giggle:

That's what I use for many applications. Plus -- again, using the Norge as a nonexclusive example -- one cannot trust all Nm values in even the official service manuals.

I may not be a Michelangelo in wrench art, and thus always -- as in ALWAYS -- pull out the torque wrenches for some applications, e.g., remounting wheels and peripherals.

Still, for many to most tightening jobs, I prefer to be as "artistic" as I can. I also use "small brushes," i.e., the smallest, short-handled drivers and sockets I have if I have any concerns about ham-fisting.

The only thing that's fallen off my Guzzis in years was a H-B C-Bow pannier that I was too stooopid to seat and lock before launching. :fubar:

Bill

25nm on my Griso.

Not sure about small block torque settings. As Im sure you are right about lesser values. I was refering to 1200, my motor. Also, here is my assembly formula step by step on what I did to never have a loosened or leaky header on my 1200 through the course of normal operation. Due to a problem with the exhaust flange nuts. I loosened one when i layed bike down misjudging apex on a end of traction senerio. But thats something else all together. I used a very little bit of copper antiseize on the posts long ago. Havn't felt the need to try to remove them corroded devils since then. They are the originals. Copper anti is amazing... When tightening flange nuts I use 1 drop of Loctite 243 on each post and 1 drop on each flange nut. I snug them, all (4) ha ha at 20 nm and tighten all of the rest of the exhaust system up to silent block except the (stock) muffler. That is at the end of my install. Once system is pulled, yanked, jerked and talked nice to I then go back and do a final tighten of them there flange nuts to 25nm. Thats 4 exhaust system removals. And 4 back on installs and I'm at just under 50,000 miles. Also, the flange nuts and super thin washers are originals as well. Those I do not apply anti seize directly to. Also, the header gaskets i use are directional. The metallic side of gaskets always faces towards the headers. Always.

Obviously, eventually I will have to replace posts, washers, and nuts. Most likely last usage this time...thats how I avoided exhaust issues with my bike and its been 100% effective. Good luck. If this helps resolve this issue out there then supercool!

Last edited:
I use Triumph domed flange nuts off a T120 I think, $14 for four and because they are domed and copper grease is applied, they seem easy to remove and then likely the threads wont rust either. They also look a lot better than the rusty originals imo. As for using a torque wrench when putting them on a Stelvio, its likely the torque wrench would have been thrown across the garden instead of the small cheap spanner I used!

Forever I have been doing smallblock exhaust stud nuts to 10ftlbs and they don't come loose. New bike PDI I check all that stuff, 8mm studs get 23ftlbs and they usually stay tight.

Back