• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gel seat insert or Airhawk??? - GEL INSERT for the WIN!

Mayakovski

GT Reference
GT Famiglia
Greetings;
Does anyone here have experience with adding a Gel insert to there seat?
I have a V7 III Anniversario that I love, but not so much the seat. I love the look and shape of it, but after a couple of hours my sit bones get sore. I was thinking of an Airhawk, as many say it is a good solution. But I am wondering about adding a Gel insert into the original seat.

I am looking at the Gold Gel insert from Luimoto.
https://www.luimoto.com/?my=189

Any opinions or experience with adding a Gel insert to a seat versus adding an Airhawk on top of it?
Thanks
Maya

gel gets HOT when left in the sun and seems to never cool down. can't beat sheepskin for cool comfort. airhawk is ok as long as there is very little air in it like an air mattress.
there was just a post on another site about something better but similar to an airhawk but less $$$. I'll see if I can find it for you. maybe the V85 one.

I used to use an AirHawk for several years - until I discovered the "Coleman MadDog Gear Comfort Motorcycle Seat Pad" -

Cheaper and (imho) muuuuuch better. I had about 50,000Km on my AirHawk. I tried out the MadDog on a trip from Albany to Tas, to the Snowy Mtns and home again. So far I have about 30,000Km on the MadDog and won't be going back to the old AirHawk. I've since done from Albany across to Adelaide and up through central NSW and Qld, across the Barkley, down through Alice and home again.

Try a MadDog and you won't look back.

Try a MadDog and you won't look back.

I saw that post and looked into it but the MadDog is not shaped well for a V7 III, it is shaped for offload bikes and I am not sure how much I could cut it down to fit well on my bike also not sure how well it would mount to the seat.

Thoughts?

Been thinking about this too. My seat is good for an hour and a half. Isn't terrible but I feel it the next day. I read somewhere that the puffier seat on some previous model might be more comfortable. Not sure where I saw that.

I'll be dropping off my Milano for it's first service and know that Cadre has a few different seats there. Including the comfort gel. Plan on asking Enzo about it and maybe seeing if I can try one or two out around the block. If I do I'll let you know.

Plan B is sticking it out with the stock seat and sending to GTM or someone else to rework for meover the winter. I tried adjusting the Mustang seat on my VN750 myself. That is the reason it had a Corbin seat when I sold it. :oops:

I went ahead and ordered the Gel insert, once it's installed and I've ridden it a bit I'll report back as to the improvement level.

I did not want to deal with a strap-on seat like the Airhawk, and I have heard from lots of people the a sheepskin cover offers very little improvement for long rides. Plus with the insert the seat and the bike will look like they are supposed to.

all sheepskins really do is allow airflow under your butt. big improvement in hot weather.
I went to a sit and fly and it's easy to take on and off and it's like airconditioning.

added free bonus is you aren't sitting in a puddle of water in the rain either.

Well, installed my insert yesterday and took a 300 KM ride today. Before the insert after 100 KM I would be shifting a fair bit and trying to get comfortable. Today after 300 KM I was still completely comfortable. As an added bonus bumps like expansion joints and railway crossings are significantly less annoying.

The install was a piece of cake (the hardest part was finding a powered stapler to borrow) and took about 1.5 hours start to finish.

A very good investment in my opinion.

Just got back from a 3800 KM, 13 day trip. Had 4 days of 7 plus hours riding and the insert was worth it's weight in gold. Did not have sitting issues even one time on the trip. Cannot recommend this enough. FANTASTIC!!!

I have an Air Hawk - overpriced and under performing. Better option imo is Sit & Fly, best option imo is Coleman's MadDog.

I bought my V9 Roamer a couple of weeks ago and after an initial ride, I knew I was going to have to do something about the comfort of the ride. I'm addressing the suspension through some purchases at GTM, but I thought that it couldn't hurt to update the seat in the process. Besides, as the Roamer sat in a carport for a few years, there was some good fading and it was making crinkling sounds whenever I put my hand on it.

Buying a cover from LUIMOTO and then a gel insert from Amazon, I took the items to a local upholstery guy and for $75 he cut out some of the original seat so that the gel insert would fit in seamlessly before stapling it all together. I'm really happy with the end results. I won't be doing any lengthy rides until the suspension components come in, but short jaunts out give me the impression that there's both more firmness as well as an additional layer of comfort (if that makes any sense.) I can't wait until the shocks and fork springs come in to really round out the bike.

Back