• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

bad luck or stupidity??

Christhesweep

Just got it firing!
Hello does anyone have any ideas about my predicament? I was topping up the oil this afternoon on my 2007 norge, a very frustrating job, at the best of times, I have a piece of1/2" pex water pipe 6" long attached to my funnel, so I can reach the filler in the crankcase,behind the lower fairing its been attached for about 3 years, today it decided to fall off, and Murphys law it dropped into the crankcase!!! any thoughts on its extraction, other than the obvious of removing the oil pan, to make things worse I was due to leave on a week long trip around BC in the morning.

Only option is to drop the pan. Be careful as there are two parts to the pan and screws where the oil filter lives. You will need two gaskets if you have to drop everything to get that line out. Be sure to check a parts manual or workshop manual before you go in there.

Oh my Brother. I feel your pain!

I have used tubing just like that but Duct-tape is used to secure anything to the end of my funnel to prevent this exact thing from happening.

I’m sorry you are going through this. Good Luck!

If you know a friendly doc or medical supply store a pair of ear forceps may be your best friend. I also dropped a piece of extension tube into a V11 and as the pipe was still on end the forceps grabbed it and it came out....they are about 9" long and have tiny jaws at the end operated by a scissor type handle and can either grab the tube or be inserted into the end and by expanding can bring it out...good luck

I haven't done that (yet) but have used something similar to this ready for such tasks:

grainger.com/product/19LZ12?cm_mmc=PPC:BingPLA-_-Hand Tools-_-Inspection and Retrieving Tools-_-19LZ12

Versions are all over the place, from HF to Amazon to down the street.

Bill

If you know a friendly doc or medical supply store a pair of ear forceps may be your best friend. I also dropped a piece of extension tube into a V11 and as the pipe was still on end the forceps grabbed it and it came out....they are about 9" long and have tiny jaws at the end operated by a scissor type handle and can either grab the tube or be inserted into the end and by expanding can bring it out...good luck

Yup, my first thought was M*A*S*H and Hawkeye Pierce...

images

I don't know how it came to be, but I have a pair like the above at home. They've come in handy for home surgery, plumbing and some minor motorcycle repair. Everyone should have a pair in their home.

Thank you for the reply's, I have tried everything, flexible pickup tool with light so I can see, also a flexible inspection camera, unfortunately there is hardly enough room to get both bits of kit in the filler hole, and not enough room to maneuver when you do, the flexible pickup tool was good, but the offending bit of tube is lying diagonally across the bottom of the oil pan and would not move enough to grab one end. just ordered both bottom gaskets (sigh) now I wait for delivery! and then remove the oil pan. oh well, we all learn lessons the hard way!! I have just got a funnel from Princess auto its a Measu funnel, sku number 8099673 so no more *uck ups I hope,
if anyone is interested I made a dipstick removal tool from a length of 1/2" copper pipe with a shaped slot in one end that matches the top of the dipstick, crush the top end flat so you can use pliers to loosen dipstick if required, the dipstick cant fall off because the slot in the tube is key shaped, as the top of the flat finger grip on the dipstick is wider at the top and bottom. seems to work,and it fits under the seat.

if anyone is interested I made a dipstick removal tool from a length of 1/2" copper pipe with a shaped slot in one end that matches the top of the dipstick, crush the top end flat so you can use pliers to loosen dipstick if required, the dipstick cant fall off because the slot in the tube is key shaped, as the top of the flat finger grip on the dipstick is wider at the top and bottom. seems to work,and it fits under the seat.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/stucchi-luigi-oil-extension-tube-dipstick.1429/

Hello does anyone have any ideas about my predicament? I was topping up the oil this afternoon on my 2007 norge, a very frustrating job, at the best of times, I have a piece of1/2" pex water pipe 6" long attached to my funnel, so I can reach the filler in the crankcase,behind the lower fairing its been attached for about 3 years, today it decided to fall off, and Murphys law it dropped into the crankcase!!! any thoughts on its extraction, other than the obvious of removing the oil pan, to make things worse I was due to leave on a week long trip around BC in the morning.

I haven't done that (yet) but have used something similar to this ready for such tasks:

grainger.com/product/19LZ12?cm_mmc=PPC:BingPLA-_-Hand Tools-_-Inspection and Retrieving Tools-_-19LZ12

Versions are all over the place, from HF to Amazon to down the street.

Bill

The operative word in my reply yesterday was "yet." ;)

In the "too weird to be real" (in several respects), after reading about your plight, and, apparently not considering the consequences of my own folly, I managed to have the long end of a baster decide to separate from the top and visit my Stornello's innards. :eek:

Yes, incredible. :banghead:

I guess that not only great minds think alike, but also small ones. :giggle:

I am now engaged in dropping the sump to retrieve same as my "grabbers" failed. Besides, I was a bit concerned over marring some polished parts in the bottom end.

Bill

Here is the pair of forceps I have that allow "deeper penetration of a small orifice" (the ear canal for those of you with minds in the gutter), and tips that allow you to pick up pieces that fall into otherwise inaccessible openings

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    17 KB · Views: 4
Well, its a problem the human race has, we know it can happen and it will be a bugger if it does, (this applies to anything not just Guzzi oil pans!) but we just think no, what are the chances? it'll never happen!, even though you have that niggle in the back of your mind, and usually it never does, until one day Mr Murphy is looking over your shoulder!
Bill, so sorry you had to find out the hard way what went through my (admittedly) tiny mind when it happened, at least yours is now resolved, Im waiting on gaskets, and still kicking myself. Do you think there will be an upsurge in extended dipstick tubes!!!

Awesome Bill.

For Bill, I'm not as sure as I am for Chris.

In the future, you could just cut yourself a longer piece of PEX, say 16", and attach the funnel to that. If it separates, it's absolutely too long to fall in to the hole.

I wish you good luck as well!

Just as a matter of interest, would it do any harm just to leave it there untill the next oil change? I don't see any way it could foul or block anything...probhably wouldn't hardly move or am I missing something ???.

Just as a matter of interest, would it do any harm just to leave it there untill the next oil change? I don't see any way it could foul or block anything...probhably wouldn't hardly move or am I missing something ???.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried!

If you had ever actually removed the oil pan and looked up, you would see the crankshaft and connecting rods. Having that plastic in there, and the highly likely chance that it would be bounced up into the rotating crankshaft, would be disastrous.

Full 17272 16495 46e571025649159e5221bfc397ce96d7 performance engines motorcycle engine 2

Last edited:
yes that was my thought, the cavitation from the crank and big ends dipping through the oil would probably lift the tube off the bottom of the oil pan/sump, and the results of that little interaction are not worth thinking about!!!

Just received the two oil pan gaskets, sent priority international mail from the US to Canada 12 days!!! anyhow now I have them I can remove the plastic tube and start riding the bike again.
can anyone tell me the torque settings on the oil pan Allen bolts bolts?

Back