• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT trans failure--help?

jonnirado

Just got it firing!
I apologize in advance for the length, there's a lot going on here—

I'm trying to ask around on behalf of my father, who is having a rough time with his new V85TT. As a bit of a background, he bought the bike towards the end of April and while trailering the bike home from the dealership, the left hand protector bolt and handlebar weight came off. Then a few hundred miles later, the starter switch housing broke. Little things, not a huge deal, but kind of annoying. After about a month and with 1700 miles on the bike, while on a trip, it started making a horrible noise. He got it limped to a parking lot, had that vacation ruined, and I went and picked him up and we hauled the bike back to the dealership.

Initially he was told “something” had come loose in the clutch (still not sure what) and that somehow also caused the starter to fail. While there, they discovered a crack in the driveshaft housing. The dealership initially started going down the road of rider abuse to put the blame on my father, but saw from the motorcycle the problems were not rider error and there were no signs of abuse.

As an aside, my father has been riding for over 30 years and has owned multiple motorcycles. This one was the first new bike he has ever bought and it is his baby. He was not out rallying the bike and I know because I've done a lot of riding with him. He's not so young anymore and has no desire to beat himself or the bike up.

After 5+ weeks of waiting, the dealership finally got parts in, put everything back together, and the bike was still making the noise. They then thought it might be the transmission, so they drained the oil from the trans and found it only had 25cc of oil (apparently there should be somewhere around 7500cc). The dealer said there was no evidence of any oil leaking out anywhere. My dad keeps it parked on a cement floor in his shop and there have been no oil spots there.

The dealership is now saying Moto Guzzi will not cover the transmission under warranty because “if it had that little oil it should have failed sooner.” The dealer already admitted to not checking the transmission oil level on initial bike setup. The transmission is not something easily accessible for service—it's not like my dad somehow drained the transmission oil when changing the engine oil and then did not fill it back up. The manual even states the transmission should be serviced by the dealer. There was no reason for him to even be in the transmission, especially with that low of miles. They are implying that at some point, for no reason, he drained the transmission of oil, didn't fill it back up, and then kept riding. They have not specified how many miles it should have taken for a problem to crop up when running with low oil, just that they won't cover the repair because it should have been fewer.

They are also now saying that the transmission failure caused the clutch and starter issue as part of a “chain reaction.” They still haven't said how that would work, and before they were willing to acknowledge defects in the bike, which tells me they did not (and do not) know what the actual problem was, they just found a convenient way to pin it on the customer.

The point of this long story is the dealership says the warranty won't apply and a new transmission is $2000 + labor costs. They have exonerated my father of wrongdoing, but said Moto Guzzi still declined to cover the fix. So, with less than 2000 miles on the bike, and more time in the shop than on the road, he has to shell out that kind of money to get his bike back, with no guarantee the final drive or engine won't grenade in another 2000 miles and he'll be right back in the same spot.

My question for you guys is, does anyone have any connections at Moto Guzzi? The dealership has thus far not provided any contact information for their Moto Guzzi rep. He would like to go to someone at MG directly instead of working through the dealer, who hasn't been very helpful thus far. If any of you people know anyone at MG, or anywhere else, who might be able to do something, that would be greatly appreciated. The lemon law doesn't apply to motorcycles in his state and he will be talking to a lawyer next week about a breach of warranty claim, but that would be a stretch. The best option would be to work it out with the manufacture, but he doesn't know who to contact.

If you made it this far, thank you so much for reading. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and take this as a caveat emptor if you are considering a V85TT.

Last edited:
My question for you guys is, does anyone have any connections at Moto Guzzi?
Sorry to read/hear of these issues. Start with customer service in NY; https://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/customercare/customercare/ -- probably too late for today until Monday with the Holiday weekend.
Do keep us posted on the outcome.
Can you post his VIN# and related for this thread; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85tt-registry-and-pic-thread.19358/ -- or email to me direct; Info @ GuzziTech.com

Jmo, but no oil in the transmission that the factory fills and has removed a check plug for checking level is their fault.

Also I think checking fluids is part of the PDI, (it was in the past) so either Guzzi or the dealer is on the hook in my opinion.

My V9 had very little oil in the gearbox from new and i have read of others who found this too. I would suspect the factory is underfilling these bikes as this is the 4th case of this i have heard about, bearing in mind that the only folks who would discover this are the minority who do the first service themselves.

Sorry to read/hear of these issues. Start with customer service in NY; https://www.motoguzzi.com/en_EN/customercare/customercare/ -- probably too late for today until Monday with the Holiday weekend.
Do keep us posted on the outcome.
Can you post his VIN# and related for this thread; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v85tt-registry-and-pic-thread.19358/ -- or email to me direct; Info @ GuzziTech.com

I appreciate the link, we'll try that on Monday when things open up. I'll have him look up the VIN and email you with it.

My V9 had very little oil in the gearbox from new and i have read of others who found this too. I would suspect the factory is underfilling these bikes as this is the 4th case of this i have heard about, bearing in mind that the only folks who would discover this are the minority who do the first service themselves.

Did you measure the amount or just make an estimation? Just wondering if it was under filled just how much underfilled it was. I did not measure the amount when I did my own first service on my V9 and just refilled with the amount listed in the service manual. The amount did appear small but having only owned big block Guzzis up until this bike I expected to see about half as much as in the big block five speed units.

Also I think checking fluids is part of the PDI, (it was in the past) so either Guzzi or the dealer is on the hook in my opinion.

The owner's manual (page 142) sez that the gearbox and final drive oil doesn't get replaced until 30,000 kM (18,600 miles) is reached. I was told by my local dealer that it was required for proper break-in of these components, and that the warranty on these items may not be honoured if the service was done early.

I do find this hard to accept, but have decided not to change the oils until the warranty period is over or the motorcycle's odometer reaches the prescribed distance. I do remember that there was some early issues with gearbox leakage, but I haven't experienced this.

The owner's manual (page 142) sez that the gearbox and final drive oil doesn't get replaced until 30,000 kM (18,600 miles) is reached. I was told by my local dealer that it was required for proper break-in of these components, and that the warranty on these items may not be honoured if the service was done early.

I do find this hard to accept, but have decided not to change the oils until the warranty period is over or the motorcycle's odometer reaches the prescribed distance. I do remember that there was some early issues with gearbox leakage, but I haven't experienced this.

Checking fluid levels doesn't mean changing. As to not changing until 30,000KM, that excuses sounds like BS to me. I've always believed in doing an early change on engine and gear oils to get initial wear material out of the bike.

Checking fluid levels doesn't mean changing. As to not changing until 30,000KM, that excuses sounds like BS to me. I've always believed in doing an early change on engine and gear oils to get initial wear material out of the bike.

There's no oil level to determine how much is in the gearbox, although there is one for the final drive. So even if you replace the drained gearbox oil with the specified amount, it might be overfilled due to the residual oil remaining. If you measure the drained gear oil and just replace this amount, it doesn't account for any oil previously lost.

It didn't help that the factory initially over-specified the correct amount for the gearbox. In fact, I'm loath to trust any of their capacity specifications. A good example is the engine oil quantity specified for many models; I hold back about half a litre until it's been for a run.

Whether the information supplied is BS or not, I can appreciate their argument.

Hey guys, I appreciate all the replies and wanted to give a bit of an update. He was able to get in touch with someone from Moto Guzzi, who said the repairs will not be covered under warranty. The reasoning is "if it had been that low on oil then it should not have lasted that long." Crazy, because they can't say how long it 'should' have lasted with that amount of oil, just so long as they can throw the problem back on the customer. The dealership said they would split the cost, which I don't know why they would offer that if they really thought my dad was actually culpable for the damage. They might be great bikes when they work, but I will never touch a Moto Guzzi. Just something for everyone else to be aware of.

It never ceases to amaze me how bad Guzzi is for warranty work and customer service. A friend of my daughter is a service manager at a dealership and she said it is next to impossible to get paid by Guzzi once warranty work is completed. It's not just the customers who are treated badly.

Warranty money is not cash, it's credit on parts. If you don't sell much parts, you don't get the money value at all.
Funny I did PDI's and checked the level w/a plastic tie wrap. If you just put gas in it, it's on the dealership, and they know it. That's why you do the work, it'll bite you if you don't.

I appreciate the link, we'll try that on Monday when things open up. I'll have him look up the VIN and email you with it.

John,

Consider asking them who their agent is for service of process in your dad's state.

Seriously, that is available on the secretary of state's website in the state where your dad lives. Is the dealer located in the same state, thus making all of this easier?

This is all way below the intere$t level of any but a starving lawyer -- and there are a few! :giggle: -- so I think you might be better off to look into using small-claims court for this.

If you or dad didn't burn any bridges with Piaggio or the dealer by temper tantrums -- tho that would be understandable! -- they might respond to a SCC filing.

Sometimes big companies blow it off until they get a default judgment served on them.

Anyway, appreciate your frustration. Best wishes with this.

Bill
Retired Lawyer

P.S. All of the above said, without regard as to "why" the dealer would do that, I suspect that the least expensive course is to accept the dealer's cost-sharing offer. [Edited to add to the P.S. why that "settle" may be the best option by far in terms of cost in dollars and PITA. Remember that old prayer/curse: "God, please give my enemy a lawsuit in which he is right." The obvious moral is that "the enemy" will plow resources of all kinds into the matter and, even if he wins, will enjoy a pyrrhic victory. In addition, while the "retired" in my sig above surely makes it clear, let me say directly that nothing I have said is intended to be nor should it be construed as legal advice, but simply offered by someone who has had experience dealing with government and corporate entities, all of which have deeper pockets than most of us. It's hard to out-attrit Big Brother. :banghead: Again, buon fortuna with this. As I have bought five new Guzzis in past 20 years, I have had my share of headaches, but, overall, the joy has so outweighed those that I can (almost ;)) forget the negatives. :giggle:

Last edited:
I am going to make a simple statement here.
If the dealer charged for set up on the invoice or shows it on his price placards on the showroom (and almost all do) floor he is responsible for checking it. even if he doesn't say it he is still responsible for delivery prep according to the contract with Guzzi I am sure.
Guzzi says do not touch it for I believe 18,000 miles and they made no way for it to be checked by the customer. only changed. I really think you would win in small claims court.
as to why did it last so long with almost no oil. they now use synthetic 85/140 with 700cc'snot the 500 they had on the v7.

Hi John,

This thread has me worried because I just picked up my new V85TT on Saturday, and it has a loud transmission whine in 3rd and especially 4th gear. I did not notice any transmission noise on the V85TT that I test rode, so I don't think it is a normal noise for this bike.
Did your dad's bike have a similar noise?

Back