• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Error code 60

MattsStelvio

Just got it firing!
Hi All. I have a 2014. I was riding through rain last week for about 2 hours and got the ECU 60 error stepper motor. Rode in the dry weather for a week but it was stiill there. Did the reset and everything else. The bike won't idle when cold - keeps stalling. Once it warms up it runs fine. I replaced the stepper motor but it didn't help even after resetting the code in the menu and disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. Any suggestions?

Have you run carb cleaner down through the stepper into the TBs? The passage from the stepper to the throttle bodies could be an issue. I am making the assumption that replacing the stepper eliminated the code 60. If not it could be a different issue.

I have read this carb cleaner through the stepper motor a few times. I am wondering what the approved method to this is. Such as remove hose, start engine, spray brand X in hose for so long or till engine stalls then reassemble or more complicated? Does this remove the necessity of cleaning the throttle bodies which I have also read about.

Since you have replaced the stepper motor itself, it is most likely not that. Even if one of the lines was plugged with crap, it will still not throw and error. May run like crap when cold, but will not cause an error.

Start from the beginning. Eliminate the stepper motor since it is new. The Error 60 is basically saying that it is not seeing the motor. You did not get an error 61 or 62 (power and ground) which means it should be getting power. That only leaves the control.

When you turn the key off, do you hear the stepper moving. You should hear a ratcheting sound from the stepper going back to its base position. ?

Check the connection to the motor. Should have 4 wires. Light Blue, Yellow, Purple and Pink (assuming the wiring diagram is correct). The first 3 are power and 2 grounds, the 3rd is the control. Just make sure it is connected properly and the connector is free from corrosion. If it all looks good here and you still get the error after a reset, you will then need to trace these wires back to the ECU. The manual shows which pins are for the stepper. They all originate there. The first three on one connector, the pink one on the other. Pop the connectors off and just make sure they are clean. You may have gotten some water in it but unlikely since the 2014 has the connectors mounted upside down but does not hurt to look. Also check the ground on the ecu just to make sure.

If all that does not work, then you have a short somewhere (my bet would be the pink wire). Will need a volt meter to check the continuity from the stepper connector back to the ecu. Also check each wire to ground just to make sure it is not grounding out.

It will be an easy fix. The problem will be in finding it.

Give a tug on the wires in the stepper motor connector also (and the ECU for that matter). Sometimes the internal connectors back out and don't make contact. Have had that cause me to scratch my head since with the connector disconnected every thing checked out. Then connected it and the problem was still there. Every time I connected it the internal connector would push back and loose contact. Lesson learned.

I have read this carb cleaner through the stepper motor a few times. I am wondering what the approved method to this is. Such as remove hose, start engine, spray brand X in hose for so long or till engine stalls then reassemble or more complicated? Does this remove the necessity of cleaning the throttle bodies which I have also read about.

Rudy, I open the airbox and spray the cleaner down the supply hose to the stepper. Pretty easy that way. you may still have to clean the TB occasionally. So far the TBs on my 2006 Breva haven't needed cleaning, but I am careful not to over fill the engine with oil. I put in a bit less than the manual states as that amount over fills.

Not that I am aware of. Should just be a simple swap. If you are still getting the error then something else is obviously happening. Possible you have another faulty stepper motor, but what are the odds of that. Failing any wiring issues, not sure what else could be at fault.

Did everything you said. The Stepper motor does go on. Do I need to initialize it through the dealer computer program?

That should not be necessary. However since your air passages have been cleared and if you still have the cold idle issue you may want a dealer to look at it.

That is a obdII code for idle motor control error. Basically it is not communicating with the stepper motor. Same thing the last code said.

You have an issue with the stepper. If replacing it did not fix it, the issue is in the wiring or the signal from the ecu. I still think the issue is on one of the 4 wires. R u getting any voltage to ground at the two positive wires in the connector when the bike is running. Just need to keep looking. Double check that pink wire and have the dealer ask if it needs to be initialized. I don't believe so but might as well ask just to be sure.

Other thing is the signal from the ecu. R u sure that the ecu pins are not corroded. Did u happen to put Dielectric grease on the ecu connector.

Last edited:
It came down to being the ECU. I think water got in. There is a "hood" available from MG which I installed.

It came down to being the ECU. I think water got in. There is a "hood" available from MG which I installed.

That hood is meant for the previous generation of Stelvio's that had the ECU cables facing up. The 2014 has them facing down. Think others have tried to use the hood but you will see that it turns into a water collection bucket if you try to install in the same way. If water got into the pins, you are better off putting some di-electric grease or Vaseline around the plug seal. That will give a better seal. If you want to use the boot, just try putting it on top of the ecu so the opening is facing down so water will not collect in it.

Best thing is to spray the pins with contact cleaner and lubricant, available fro many electrical parts stores. Use the same stuff to spray any and all connectors you can get at on the bike, plus all the handlebar switches.

That is a obdII code for idle motor control error. Basically it is not communicating with the stepper motor. Same thing the last code said.

You have an issue with the stepper. If replacing it did not fix it, the issue is in the wiring or the signal from the ecu. I still think the issue is on one of the 4 wires. R u getting any voltage to ground at the two positive wires in the connector when the bike is running. Just need to keep looking. Double check that pink wire and have the dealer ask if it needs to be initialized. I don't believe so but might as well ask just to be sure.

Other thing is the signal from the ecu. R u sure that the ecu pins are not corroded. Did u happen to put Dielectric grease on the ecu connector.
Forgive me for chiming in and asking about almost identicle quandry. But I did find the source.....
I have a question in regards to the (2 actual pins) ECU pins being gone, completely corroded off the actual ECU itself. Can I replace with a Griso 5M used ECU? Does the harness need replaced as well if I do that? Only error is 60 with triangle and service icon on dash constantly. All other electronics functioning fine as well as performance is stellar. Guidance needed please?

Forgive me for chiming in and asking about almost identicle quandry. But I did find the source.....
I have a question in regards to the (2 actual pins) ECU pins being gone, completely corroded off the actual ECU itself. Can I replace with a Griso 5M used ECU? Does the harness need replaced as well if I do that? Only error is 60 with triangle and service icon on dash constantly. All other electronics functioning fine as well as performance is stellar. Guidance needed please?

I suggest contacting Todd direct. Todd@guzzitech.com The 5AM from a Griso may need to be re-mapped for use in a Stelvio. As to the harness, it depends if the corrosion extended into the connector.

Back