• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil leak

Icho

Just got it firing!
Please help, not leaking bad, but even the smallest drop on this motorcycle makes me crazy!

it has 4000 miles!

i adjusted oil level, by the book, its even lower than MAX...
One of the pics, pointing out the bolt, red oil - Motul engine oil...
But on my finger its clear... so msybe trans and motor?

cant find the source...

Attachments

• 55491593-62DE-4B7F-B38D-790B06CBD255.jpeg
    55491593-62DE-4B7F-B38D-790B06CBD255.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 50B2ED61-32BE-4455-8A4C-DB5C124B8186.jpeg
    50B2ED61-32BE-4455-8A4C-DB5C124B8186.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 50B16E1A-AE99-40B4-8992-3D87395F0391.jpeg
    50B16E1A-AE99-40B4-8992-3D87395F0391.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 39
There is a drain hose for oil that exits from the bottom of the airbox. Check to see if it is still attached. I doubt gear oil would be that high on the case. Gear oil should exit from a weep hole at the bottom of the gear case.

You dip the stick not screw it in. Looks red alright. I have seen something Like this if over oiled K & N air filter.

John - i will try to remove the canister and tip off valve this weekend and will look closer - but is it normal oil to go that high? and drip?
i am not pushing the bike at all! - 50-60mph cruising - maybe sometimes 70-80 but for 10-15sec and once or twice a month...i enjoy the ride not trying to kill myself :)

V700Steve - dipstick is tight...made sure too and filter is clean, no oil on it..and its original too...very strange!

Let me do the canister removal and we will see - my throttle feels loose and i dont like when i jerks, cant get used to it and i read that this will fix it!

Thanks guys! will keep posting!

You dip the stick not screw it in. Looks red alright. I have seen something Like this if over oiled K & N air filter.

I hear you, Steve, and others have told me that, too.

Now, that said, both my Stornello and V7 III's OM's say screw the dipstick all the way in.

See screenshots:

Screen Shot 2020 07 16 at 105919

Screen Shot 2020 07 16 at 105742

FWIW, I had a friend do the oil change on my Stornello last winter. [Don't ask :think:]

He seriously overfilled it. That led to all sorts of excitement, e.g., oil into airbox, then TB, then clouding over various sensors, including stepper.

I have, BTW, since ordered -- and am now installing -- Todd's sump extender for that machine.

The in-or-out dipstick issue is curious to me.

1921!

Bill

Last edited:
It says, unscrew, clean it, screw it back and then again unscrew it to check oil level....hmmm i will check my level again, i dont think i did it right....

But is that sensitive to the oil level - worst case scenario - a little bit over max - should not make that mess....

It says, unscrew, clean it, screw it back and then again unscrew it to check oil level....hmmm i will check my level again, i dont think i did it right....

But is that sensitive to the oil level - worst case scenario - a little bit over max - should not make that mess....

Over fill causes all kinds of problems. Mostly to fouling the airbox, throttle bodes. and the stepper if you have one.

Over fill causes all kinds of problems. Mostly to fouling the airbox, throttle bodes. and the stepper if you have one.

I haven't done the math, but suspect that the difference in volume of oil in sump between one measured by a dipstick fully screwed in and one resting on the lip is more than may meet the eye.

Bill

I just checked my manual...here says without screwing it in....omg i havent been more confused...
So far I checked it like my manual says and its below MaX a little
Bit, but...i will travel 10 miles and i will do it again.. ‍♂️

Attachments

• A9D09D95-81AC-4EC3-8D6D-012325F407D1.jpeg
    A9D09D95-81AC-4EC3-8D6D-012325F407D1.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 5
I just completed the canister removal...i dont know if i am wrong or not, but looks like its leaking a little bit less than before! but it leaks, only the Right hand side - throttle body - right where the clamp bolt head is, drips on top of the trans case!!
The other side is clean....no idea what causes that?!

I just completed the canister removal...i dont know if i am wrong or not, but looks like its leaking a little bit less than before! but it leaks, only the Right hand side - throttle body - right where the clamp bolt head is, drips on top of the trans case!!
The other side is clean....no idea what causes that?!

Again, check that the drain line isn't missing from the air box. These engines do best with 300 to 500 cc less oil than the manual states. Forget the darn dipstick it will cause you to over fill.

Back