• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Self Servicing

Tonyblaze

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I have a 2018 Eldorado. I have zero experience doing any servicing on bikes outside of that I replaced the pipes on my Triumph Thunderbird Commander without killing myself or the bike......but it was dirt simple so there's that. I really would like to get to the point where I can do a lot of the basic servicing and some of the more advanced stuff but I don't want to bite off too much and get stuck with a limp bike. Dealer is four hours away. Are there any tips from experience that anyone could provide? I'm on the hunt for the service manual now. I figure if I can comprehend what's in it that'll be a start. i watched a video about adjusting the valves for the first service. It looks relatively simple but I've been had by things like that before. Usually a troublesome bolt that snaps or strips in some deep seated place requiring dealer assistance. (I have actually snapped a spark plug in half in an engine block.:mad:) Thinking about replacing the springs and shocks sometime in the future. That'll be a dealer job just for the piece of mind. I really would like to get proficient at wrenching on the bike. I need a hobby.

Hi Tony,

Watching the GTech videos is a good start, as well as any others you can find.
The thing I like best about GTech’s videos is that there no nonsense and to the point, not by someone trying to be a YouTube Star !

Do you have any riding buddies in the area, you could hand around with when they are servicing their bikes, watch and learn.
Keeping in mind that everyone has an opinion, you’ll need to take what you hear and decide what’s makes sense.
If there is someone with experience you trust in the bunch, maybe ask them to “coach” you through the first couple of jobs ?

Im sort of in the same boat as you are, we had snow mobiles and mini bikes we Blowedup - so I had experience fixing what I broke, but as I get older I’m not as Gung Ho about tearing into a job not knowing what’s involved !

Have fun and and enjoy the ride ,
Don

Based on your description of past experience I think the biggest problem you might face is confidence. I have done some pretty extensive repairs and replacements on motorcycles and the first time for something new is always the worst. In many cases after I have completed something for the first time I wonder why I ever thought it would be so complicated or difficult. Most things you will need to do on your Eldorado are pretty straightforward (changing plugs, adjusting valves, draining & adding fluids).

I agree with the previous poster about working together with other riders in the area. They do not, necessarily, need to be Moto Guzzi owners. Most screws work the same. Most broken screws use similar techniques to remove (once you learn). We live in a great time for do-it-at-home maintenance guys with access to many videos and instructional forums. And, you are a Moto Guzzi owner, so you are the definition of a do-it-at-home maintenance guy. :)

If I remember correctly ( that's a scary statement ) there may be a manual on line (possibly here ) that
you can download for free . I'm wondering if this is a new 2018 , and if so , would it not be wise to have
the first service done at a dealership ? Speaking strictly about maintaining possible warranty coverage ?
Peter

If I remember correctly ( that's a scary statement ) there may be a manual on line (possibly here ) that
you can download for free . I'm wondering if this is a new 2018 , and if so , would it not be wise to have
the first service done at a dealership ? Speaking strictly about maintaining possible warranty coverage ?
Peter

Yep, I plan on taking it to the dealer for the first service. and probably for each scheduled interval. But for the the annoying niggles that pop up in between I'd like to not have to hike 400 miles to the dealer.

If you should become comfortable with the lubricant changes and tire pressures , you can skip a few of those
dealership visits . They don't strike me as a bike requiring high maintenance :). Peter

I'm wondering if this is a new 2018 , and if so , would it not be wise to have the first service done at a dealership ? Speaking strictly about maintaining possible warranty coverage ?
Peter

Since I have no manuals and bought it used from a dealership that took it in as a trade ( I’m guessing, because they don’t sell Gutzi’s ;) )
What is the warranty coverage on the 2017’s . Am I out already...

I think you will find your Eldo is pretty easy, and straight forward, to maintain. I have a 2016 that I bought new and it has only been to dealerships for tires, and for one recall (front brake master cylinder). It has 27,000 miles on it now. I bought it from a dealership in Seattle (now gone) that was 1200 miles away so going back for routine maintenance was never a consideration. Briefly there was a dealership in Sturgis (180 miles) which was nice, but they weren't up to the task and they no longer handle MG.

My point is, that despite the impression you might get reading the internet, Moto Guzzis are pretty trouble free and easy to work on.. If you learn to do the basics yourself, use quality materials, and keep to the suggested schedules, you probably won't need a dealership for much of anything. If you are willing to remove wheels you can even most likely get your tires changed at whatever close by dealership or bike shop there is.

The other big assets and resource you have is this website and Wizard Todd. If you do have to get more involved than valves and oil changes, you can find support here. So dive in and have a good time, both riding and wrenching.

I think you will find your Eldo is pretty easy, and straight forward, to maintain. I have a 2016 that I bought new and it has only been to dealerships for tires, and for one recall (front brake master cylinder). It has 27,000 miles on it now. I bought it from a dealership in Seattle (now gone) that was 1200 miles away so going back for routine maintenance was never a consideration. Briefly there was a dealership in Sturgis (180 miles) which was nice, but they weren't up to the task and they no longer handle MG.

My point is, that despite the impression you might get reading the internet, Moto Guzzis are pretty trouble free and easy to work on.. If you learn to do the basics yourself, use quality materials, and keep to the suggested schedules, you probably won't need a dealership for much of anything. If you are willing to remove wheels you can even most likely get your tires changed at whatever close by dealership or bike shop there is.

The other big assets and resource you have is this website and Wizard Todd. If you do have to get more involved than valves and oil changes, you can find support here. So dive in and have a good time, both riding and wrenching.
Nicely stated.

Back