• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V9 Bobber Valve noise

Derrick Carrington

Just got it firing!
Forgive me if this issue has been brought up before, but I searched and didn’t see anything
So...
I’m relatively new to MG. I bought my V9 used with just under 2k on the odometer. I like the bike. It’s easy to ride and gets lots of compliments almost every time I take her out. But, when I compare it to my Triumph, the valve train seems a bit noisy. I’ve taken it to the dealer twice in the past year because the valves got a little loud. Both times, the valves were slightly out of spec. On both occasions, the bike ran and sounded fine for a couple of weeks afterward, but then the noise returns. I don’t expect the engine to be whisper quiet, but this noise is annoying- not something I would expect from a bike with so few miles.

Is this a problem common to MG’s, or is it common to the V9? I have a friend who has an older V7 and he doesn’t have this issue. Any thoughts on this?

When I bought my Breva 1100 new I seemed to be adjusting the tappets every 1000kms. But as soon as i went over the 10,000Km or there abouts everything settled down and now i can easy go 20,000kms before they need a check and even then its only a tiny amount out. (always larger, never smaller). I'm sure it will settle down the more miles you put on it.

I’ve heard about the long break-in period on these engines. But, I was hoping to reach that point before 10k. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I haven’t put many road miles on it yet. Still, your reply gives me optimism.

if your friend knows what he is doing have him check your adjustment for you. if not I assume (and I really hate doing this) the dealer did them right and you have sensitive ears. I find the exhausts on the new small blocks tend to loosen a bit until 6000 miles or so but I'd say just ignore them and go ride it.
real 98% broken in is more like 15,000 miles. tough job but someones got to do it.

I could do the adjustment myself. It’s a fairly easy task. But, it’s not a job I’d want to do every 1k or so. It really only concerns me when it starts to affect the performance. However, I’ll admit it needs to be ridden more to promote engine break-in. I’m working on it. Pandemic be damned.

Yes, they do make a bit of noise. For peace of mind, check them yourself. I've checked mine twice and they're in spec and still going tic tic tic tic tic tic tic.....

You will need
1. Two chairs. One to sit in and one for tools, drink, snack.
2. A radio, tuned to a nice rock station.

;););)

Back