• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Faulty Oil Pressure Sensor Again on Norge 8V?

CMD

Just got it firing!
Hi; seems the oil pressure sensor is a special subject on the Norge but why do I have intermittent error messages?

Background is the original sensor on my 2013 Norge 8V broke (with corresponding oil leak and flat bed tow truck) and was replaced, however, the error message (Red light and Oil warning sign) keep coming back BUT only when the bike idles at red light or stop sign (after it warms up). On acceleration and during riding the error messages disappear. Dealer has ordered a replacement sensor but I still wonder whether this is a sensor problem or something more sinister?

Opinions / Suggestions / Safe to ride long distance ???
Thanks - Christian

As an owner of an early firstgen Norge that suffered catastrophic engine failure when the oil pump fractured :banghead:, and who has also had the recurrence of the dash warnings (that scared me feceless :sweating:), I can assure you with near certainty that yours is, as John says, an OP sensor issue, and NOT, as you fear, "something more sinister."

I am unaware of a single oil pump failure on a Norge with a build date after March 2007.

Unless MG has improved the sensor connection since mine, this will recur. There are other, better connectors out there, at least for my '07.

Safe for LD riding? Yup. That said, get it fixed as it appears you are.

Best,

Bill

As an owner of an early firstgen Norge that suffered catastrophic engine failure when the oil pump fractured :banghead:, and who has also had the recurrence of the dash warnings (that scared me feceless :sweating:), I can assure you with near certainty that yours is, as John says, an OP sensor issue, and NOT, as you fear, "something more sinister."

I am unaware of a single oil pump failure on a Norge with a build date after March 2007.

Unless MG has improved the sensor connection since mine, this will recur. There are other, better connectors out there, at least for my '07.

Safe for LD riding? Yup. That said, get it fixed as it appears you are.

Best,

Bill
Thank you

I agree also, just a $10 part. I put in the early one starting w/ GU17------. It has a post on top, same threads. Make a jumper wire to bullet connector. Why?, they seem to last longer.

I'm thinking sump gasket failure. When MG went from the 4V to the 8V they increased some oil gallery diameters without increasing the surrounding mating surfaces resulting in oil escaping through gasket weak points.

Are you observing more cam chain and valve train rattles at idle than before (yeah I know they're noisy -- mine is a 2012)?

I'm thinking sump gasket failure. When MG went from the 4V to the 8V they increased some oil gallery diameters without increasing the surrounding mating surfaces resulting in oil escaping through gasket weak points.

Are you observing more cam chain and valve train rattles at idle than before (yeah I know they're noisy -- mine is a 2012)?

Update as at July 25th
Just back from a 500km ride today and the problematic warning lights still come on at low speeds or at stops only to disappear when one sets off. No oil leak anywhere and engine was running fine all day making the same 'old' Guzzi sound. Faulty sensor I reckon.

Update as at July 25th
Just back from a 500km ride today and the problematic warning lights still come on at low speeds or at stops only to disappear when one sets off. No oil leak anywhere and engine was running fine all day making the same 'old' Guzzi sound. Faulty sensor I reckon.
My 2012 is doing the same thing. It seems to do it more when it's very hot and not at all when it's cool. If I raise the revs slightly above idle the light goes off.

My 2012 is doing the same thing. It seems to do it more when it's very hot and not at all when it's cool. If I raise the revs slightly above idle the light goes off.

Low pressure light may be coming on because the oil is thinning in the heat out thus the pressure is lower. What weight oil are you using and how long has it been in the bike?

Low pressure light may be coming on because the oil is thinning in the heat out thus the pressure is lower. What weight oil are you using and how long has it been in the bike?
I'm using the correct Motul 10W60 synthetic. I'm coming up on an oil change. It's been a year and close to 10,000 km. Perhaps I should go ahead and change it. We have another month or so of hot weather before the slow ease into fall begins.

I'm using the correct Motul 10W60 synthetic. I'm coming up on an oil change. It's been a year and close to 10,000 km. Perhaps I should go ahead and change it. We have another month or so of hot weather before the slow ease into fall begins.

Yes do change it and the filter. Some studies have shown that 10W60 breaks down (loses viscosity) quicker than a 15W50 oil. Please let us know if the low pressure light continues to go on, or not, with the fresh oil. It may be that for these engines that get hot the service interval should be shorter.

Yes do change it and the filter. Some studies have shown that 10W60 breaks down (loses viscosity) quicker than a 15W50 oil. Please let us know if the low pressure light continues to go on, or not, with the fresh oil. It may be that for these engines that get hot the service interval should be shorter.
I will do that.
I just checked and the oil was last changed Aug.18/19. I've gone only 6,500 km but for the price of a fluid change it's worth it in the name of science.

Last edited:
I will do that.
I just checked and the oil was last changed Aug.18/19. I've gone only 6,500 km but for the price of a fluid change it's worth it in the name of science.
I ordered my oil and filter at 6:00 am Wednesday and it arrived at 11:00 am Thursday. Great service from Fortnine out of Montreal. I changed the oil and filter and CARC and transmission oil. I went for a "spirited" ride this morning and the light flickered for a second when I pulled in my driveway but did not stay on. The temperature was only about 20 C. I'll have to try it out when the mercury rises.

P.S. I used Motul Gear Box 80W90 with moly in the CARC and tranny. It's slicker than snot on a rooster's beak!

Last edited:
So you have a new sender, oil and filter. Unless its a faulty pump or relief valve i would be going with Bert Remingtons suggestion and checking out both sump gaskets.
Friend went through the same fixes as you have but it turned out to be a blown gasket around one of the oil way passages.
When my sensor failed it did not show a problem only at idle hot or cold but could come on anytime usually when I turned on the key before start up.

So you have a new sender, oil and filter. Unless its a faulty pump or relief valve i would be going with Bert Remingtons suggestion and checking out both sump gaskets.
Friend went through the same fixes as you have but it turned out to be a blown gasket around one of the oil way passages.
When my sensor failed it did not show a problem only at idle hot or cold but could come on anytime usually when I turned on the key before start up.
I don't have a new sender (pressure sensor). I may change it if it seems necessary.

I’ve just had my sensor replaced and now find I have the same problem ie light coming on when oil is hot but going off as soon as I rev it. Am I understanding this right that some of you are riding round with this “problem” after having Replaced the sensor, and not worrying about it?

I’ve just had my sensor replaced and now find I have the same problem ie light coming on when oil is hot but going off as soon as I rev it. Am I understanding this right that some of you are riding round with this “problem” after having Replaced the sensor, and not worrying about it?

How old is the oil?

Yes ... BUT.

Bear in mind that mine is a(n early) 2007 Norge that had the infamous oil-pump fiasco. Yours is an 8v.

I knew that my subsequent red-light was only OP sensor.

First, I never got the "Aladdin's lamp" icon other than with the engine seizure, but only the red light and OP sensor error code when checked.

Moreover, I went through about three OP sensors before I realized that those who said that the OEM connector was the issue. Changed out that and presto, no more red light.

If I had an 8v -- and I do in my Griso, not my Norge -- I would be more concerned about other possible causes, e.g., the sump gasket mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I haven't had this issue with my Griso, but would check both the OP sensor connection and the sump gasket before riding.

Bill

Just an update, my light still comes on with fresh oil but much less often and goes off again quite quickly.

Thanks for letting us know. It seems these switches aren't responding to pressure like they should.

Back