• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III - brutal pinging during hot weather

Truly some of the cheapest looking bits on the bike, imo. I swapped for the metal injector covers. I wish there was a similar metal replacement for the starter cover.

The only metal starter motor cover I have seen is made by Baak motorcycles in France.

Truly some of the cheapest looking bits on the bike, imo. I swapped for the metal injector covers. I wish there was a similar metal replacement for the starter cover.
I can make something if there's enough interest.

So, I left the bike at the dealer this week, to solve the pinging and a final transmission leak.

They called me 1 day later saying that it was repaired and ready for pick up: rear seal replacement and valve adjustment. I immediatly said that I dont bellieve that a valve adjustment would solve the pinging, but hey, Im no mechanic.

So today I went there, to pick up the bike. Went for a ride, and 15-20 min later, after warming up, there it is again, brutal pinging.

Went straight to the dealer, but since today is saturday, there are no mechanics, only sales person. Left the bike.

Now I have to see what my options are, if they cant solve the pinging.

That’s really annoying...
Did they take it out for a test drive to validate/experience what your reporting - or just give it to the mechanic saying this guy says it’s making noise...

When I dropped the bike in, I did some highway (100-120 km/h) to get there, so the engine was up to temperature. It was pinging to the point that I could not accelerate/rotate the throttle more than 40%. The mechanic took the bike for a spin and 2 min later came back confirming that it was pinging, and also said that he noticed a rattle that could be from the pipes. Cool, I thought! This guy has a good ear, so no need to explain that.
Also, the guy that took my complaint knows what bad things can result out of this pinging issue: damaged piston, holes, etc. So, it was promissing.

But now I find it very curious as why that they called me saying that the bike was ok and ready for pick up. If they do the same thing to me next time, I'll just go there and show it to them. The road in front of the garage is perfect for that, with a slight uphill.

Hope to solve this asap, couse I got to take 1h train ride to get there...

Sorry for your troubles my friend. I’ve been following this thread with interest. A few things to note:
1. Guzzi’s R&D time is minimal for emissions reasons, and their climate in Mandello is generally pretty temperate as you may know. Yes your bike pings, no your dealer likely cannot legally do anything about it unfortunately.
2. If you/they want the solution, I have it here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gt-motocycles-v7-v9-ecu-re-flash-tool - I know you may not like this, but it’s the reality of an air-cooled engine on Euro-4+ emission requirements.
3. Guzzi just may not be for you. Don’t fight it. Either you like the bike enough to invest in it, or you don’t. Many people do. If your dealer is a multi-line dealer, try something else, and/or see what your options are for them to buy or take the bike back.

Hope to see a good ending to your saga.

p.s. I’ve had a calling lately to Portugal. I may visit to see if it may be the place for me to retire to.

@GT-Rx® , That's a really good advice, and I really appreciate your attention. I'll see how it goes and post an update as things evolve, if nothing else, just for the curiosity.

p.s. If you visit Portugal, you may not want to go back anymore. Be warned :)

Latest update: Last tuesday the dealer called me saying that the bike doesn't show any problem after valve adjustment. I said I find it very hard to bellieve (I carefully checked the valves gap myself before I leave it there), anyway, went there, again, to show them the problem in loco.

When I got there, went for ride (in the old town of Porto city, which I highly recommend for everyone to visit) until it warmed up, and there it was, severe pinging. Didn't shut the bike down and told the mechanic to go for a ride. He confirmed that there was "a noise", so I left the bike there.

Today I called them for an update. They told me that they replaced one cilinder and piston which solved the issue. Tomorrow will go there to pick up the bike... Again... Lets see. :)

Might as well just re-bore it to 820 cc at that point haha. I get minor pinging sometimes, but only on stale gas and a warm day. It hasn't gotten worse so I'm not too concerned about it.

~5000 mi on the bike for reference

Just a final follow up: Pinging did not stop. Hot weather = pinging. The final drop was when the dealer revogue warranty on electric issues since I replaced the bulbs to LED. (Also had a burned stator).

So, it is a gorgeous bike, but in my case, with many problems. Had to let it go. So... New bike (from another brand) on my garage right now.

Just a final follow up: Pinging did not stop. Hot weather = pinging. The final drop was when the dealer revogue warranty on electric issues since I replaced the bulbs to LED. (Also had a burned stator).

So, it is a gorgeous bike, but in my case, with many problems. Had to let it go. So... New bike (from another brand) on my garage right now.
Sorry to hear, and sad to think a $500 GTM re-flash would've solved your problem. This is not Guzzis fault, it's an emission hurdle they have to clear. Stator burn is a fairly common issue, also covered on this Forum.

The sad part is you lost considerably more money in taxes paid, than what it would have cost to rectify the issue.

Alas, any dealer that tried to claim a LED bulb somehow interfered with the electrical and blew out the stator, isn’t supporting the customer and therefore not worth a pile of horse manure, so I certainly hope you didn’t buy another bike from them.

Good luck on your new whatever you bought.

You can say what it is that you bought instead, by the way.

Yes, all the problems combined with poor, very poor customer service made me sell the bike. For sure will not put my feet ever again in that dealership.

The new bike is a 2022 kawasaki z900rs.

Yes, all the problems combined with poor, very poor customer service made me sell the bike. For sure will not put my feet ever again in that dealership.

Nice. Double the horsepower of the V7 and very retro looking. Parts and service available just about anywhere, even Portugal;).

Good for you!

Unfortunately, Japanese motorcycles do absolutely nothing for me. I don’t own any and they leave me feeling cold.

Well, enjoy!

Unfortunately, the poor service from Guzzi dealers is not unique to Portugal.

Jason

I have found that dealers who charge what they need to charge in order to make a living, and for whom they don’t allow customers to chisel every single purchase, survive.

Those who cultivate a customer base of constant chiselers, don’t last.

There simply isn’t enough money in a Moto Guzzi franchise, to make a living any other way. Especially a single marque franchise.

I spoke to the service manager (a personal acquaintance) of a very large multi brand dealership. They used to be a Moto Guzzi dealership many years ago. They dropped Moto Guzzi because they had too many problems dealing with the company, not customers. The biggest issue was getting reimbursed for parts and labour when they performed warranty work.

Back