• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT trans failure--help?

Thanks for the suggestion, Vagrant. I checked it and there is plenty of oil, so at least I have peace of mind. Unfortunately, it also means I have a whiny transmission. Hopefully it will quiet down as it breaks in.

My dealer is in Ohio while I live in Indiana, so I do my own maintenance. The owners' manual doesn't call for the gearbox oil to be changed at first maintenance, however, my kit I purchased to do the maintenance included gear oil and washer for the gearbox drain plug. The only way to check the amount of oil in the gearbox is by draining it and measuring the amount. This is why I went ahead and did the maintenance. Also, I wanted the 75W140 in there, instead of the 90 weight sent in the kit. I filled the gearbox with 690-700cc. Works good, lasts a long time. Been reading on Avrider forum about several reports of gearboxes being under-filled on the V85 models. Sucks that you can't trust the manufacturer to do the right thing, both in preparation of the bike and standing behind their product. A shame 'cause I really like this motorbike...

My dealer is in Ohio while I live in Indiana, so I do my own maintenance. The owners' manual doesn't call for the gearbox oil to be changed at first maintenance, however, my kit I purchased to do the maintenance included gear oil and washer for the gearbox drain plug. The only way to check the amount of oil in the gearbox is by draining it and measuring the amount. This is why I went ahead and did the maintenance. Also, I wanted the 75W140 in there, instead of the 90 weight sent in the kit. I filled the gearbox with 690-700cc. Works good, lasts a long time. Been reading on Avrider forum about several reports of gearboxes being under-filled on the V85 models. Sucks that you can't trust the manufacturer to do the right thing, both in preparation of the bike and standing behind their product. A shame 'cause I really like this motorbike...

Gear box should have 75W90 and the rear drive the 85W140.

Taken from the V85TT service manual:

Engine oil change and oil filter replacement: 1760 cm³ (107.40 cu.in)
Gearbox oil 700 cm³ (42.72 cu in)
Bevel gear set oil 180 cm³ (10.98 cu.in)

Castrol oils:
Engine oil 10W-60 Synthetic based lubricant SAE 10W 60; JASO MA, MA2; API SG
Gearboxes and bevel transmissions 75W-140 Synthetic lubricant SAE 75W-140 - API GL5

Or 85W-140 in both gearbox and bevel transmission if Castrol oils aren't readily available.

Taken from the V85TT service manual:

Engine oil change and oil filter replacement: 1760 cm³ (107.40 cu.in)
Gearbox oil 700 cm³ (42.72 cu in)
Bevel gear set oil 180 cm³ (10.98 cu.in)

Castrol oils:
Engine oil 10W-60 Synthetic based lubricant SAE 10W 60; JASO MA, MA2; API SG
Gearboxes and bevel transmissions 75W-140 Synthetic lubricant SAE 75W-140 - API GL5

Or 85W-140 in both gearbox and bevel transmission if Castrol oils aren't readily available.
There was a factory service bulletin that came out reducing the diff oil amount to 160cc.

Diff oil service bulliten

According to my owners manual, both gearbox and final drive call for 75W140. Page 246.

75W140 seems a bit thick for a gearbox. Don't doubt that is what the manual says but it just doesn't seen right. All the other small blocks used the 85W140 in the rear drive and 75W90 in the gearbox. Heck my 94 year old car uses 85W140 in the rear end as it is about equivalent to the old 600W oil.

75W140 seems a bit thick for a gearbox. Don't doubt that is what the manual says but it just doesn't seen right. All the other small blocks used the 85W140 in the rear drive and 75W90 in the gearbox. Heck my 94 year old car uses 85W140 in the rear end as it is about equivalent to the old 600W oil.
Can't go wrong using what the manufacturer recommends. I used it in my BMW gearbox as well as my Harley-Davidsons with no adverse affects. It seems to shift better also. Use what you want; that's what I do.

Hi John,

This thread has me worried because I just picked up my new V85TT on Saturday, and it has a loud transmission whine in 3rd and especially 4th gear. I did not notice any transmission noise on the V85TT that I test rode, so I don't think it is a normal noise for this bike.
Did your dad's bike have a similar noise?

It actually did have a really loud noise, though his was more noticeable in first gear. Being the first Guzzi he's ridden, he just assumed it was part of the experience. Now that he's gotten the repaired bike back, it is way quieter, indicating that something was wrong from the start.

John,

Consider asking them who their agent is for service of process in your dad's state.

Seriously, that is available on the secretary of state's website in the state where your dad lives. Is the dealer located in the same state, thus making all of this easier?

This is all way below the intere$t level of any but a starving lawyer -- and there are a few! :giggle: -- so I think you might be better off to look into using small-claims court for this.

If you or dad didn't burn any bridges with Piaggio or the dealer by temper tantrums -- tho that would be understandable! -- they might respond to a SCC filing.

Sometimes big companies blow it off until they get a default judgment served on them.

Anyway, appreciate your frustration. Best wishes with this.

Bill
Retired Lawyer

P.S. All of the above said, without regard as to "why" the dealer would do that, I suspect that the least expensive course is to accept the dealer's cost-sharing offer. [Edited to add to the P.S. why that "settle" may be the best option by far in terms of cost in dollars and PITA. Remember that old prayer/curse: "God, please give my enemy a lawsuit in which he is right." The obvious moral is that "the enemy" will plow resources of all kinds into the matter and, even if he wins, will enjoy a pyrrhic victory. In addition, while the "retired" in my sig above surely makes it clear, let me say directly that nothing I have said is intended to be nor should it be construed as legal advice, but simply offered by someone who has had experience dealing with government and corporate entities, all of which have deeper pockets than most of us. It's hard to out-attrit Big Brother. :banghead: Again, buon fortuna with this. As I have bought five new Guzzis in past 20 years, I have had my share of headaches, but, overall, the joy has so outweighed those that I can (almost ;)) forget the negatives. :giggle:

I appreciate the advice; he was looking at possible legal options but like you say, it's cheaper and easier to accept the cost sharing option. He did not burn any bridges with PIaggio, but nonetheless received less than ideal service from their area representative. I guess it's part and parcel of the experience--if the bike wasn't so damn good he'd be rid of it by now, but it's worth a second chance. Since they did end up making things right, I'll give them credit where it's due.

Hey all, thanks so much for the responses and recommendations. This is definitely a great community to learn from. Since I was so frustrated with Guzzi initially, in all fairness, I have to give credit where it's due. The mother ship finally got a new transmission shipped over. When it arrived, the dealer went gave it a once-over and surprise, surprise, it had only 70ccs of oil (should be somewhere around 750). With that lending considerable credence to the notion the original transmission had been under-filled, they put the bike back together and got back in touch with Guzzi, who agreed that the failure was a result of factory defects. So, after a few stressful months, my father finally has the bike back and it's running like it should. The transmission and clutch are much quieter than they initially were, so I'm sure that anyone with Guzzi experience would have noticed immediately that something was off.

All's well that ends well, hopefully the bugs are ironed out and hopefully no one else gets to experience that fluke. Thanks again for all the responses and concern.

^^^^

Super news.

Also very much appreciate your coming back to update us.

Best wishes to your dad for miles of smiles on that V85.

Tell him that if he -- of, FTM, you -- are anywhere near the top of Virginia on two wheels, stop by the Moto Grappa.

1921!

Bill

Back