• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New V10

Ray1150

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Ta-Dah, new Centauro - well 15k on the clock, 2 owners and a full service inc belts and fuel filter 1k miles ago.
Couple of questions for those who have been riding one of these for a bit;-
recognise this chip anyone? The first item I should have changed on my Stelvio was the chip, Todds chip changed the bike immeasurably for the better, once bitten twice shy. Seems ok once it's rolling but doesn't pull well if you undergear. Still learning so not a final opinion - maybe.
What about this idea of an extra earth from the ecu directly to the battery, again any thoughts fellow Centauro owners?
Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance
Ray

V10 130820gt V10 chip gt

Ta-Dah, new Centauro - well 15k on the clock, 2 owners and a full service inc belts and fuel filter 1k miles ago. Couple of questions for those who have been riding one of these for a bit;-
recognise this chip anyone? The first item I should have changed on my Stelvio was the chip, Todds chip changed the bike immeasurably for the better, once bitten twice shy. Seems ok once it's rolling but doesn't pull well if you undergear. Still learning so not a final opinion - maybe. What about this idea of an extra earth from the ecu directly to the battery, again any thoughts fellow Centauro owners?
Anything else I should be aware of?
Hi Ray, beauty, congrats. Hope you'll add your info to the Spine Registry page.
I don't recognize the EPROM. For last decade and a half, chip burners are cheap, so a lot of people can do them. None of them have great fuel files on them, so I used to recommend the Power Commander (I have a huge library of maps).
The 16M ECU has many flaws, the ground is one of them. If your question on condition of the bike, the belts and the stock oil pump are two downfalls of this model. There was someone making billet oil pumps for them. Might be in the ARCHIVE or here on the Forum. Try a search... and enjoy it. Sure you will.

The chip you want for that bike is a Will Creedon chip. They are still available as I understand it.
I have Power Commander stuff from Todd, and am happy. But I would personally rather start with a proper chip tune to begin with. Then add the Power Commander if required.

The chip you want for that bike is a Will Creedon chip. They are still available as I understand it.
I have Power Commander stuff from Todd, and am happy. But I would personally rather start with a proper chip tune to begin with. Then add the Power Commander if required.
Mike, I can burn chips still, and the fuel map on his chips are garbage. Typically he tells people to also add the Power Commander. My bet is that the chip he has in the bike is a good base.

To be clear, I have Power Commander stuff from Todd, for my Griso, and the wife's V11 Sport has an older Power Commander. But my Daytona just has a chip. No Power Commander stuff required. I don't think I said that right the first time.

Congratulations!

I currently own my second V10 Centauro. A 1997 that I bought 3 years ago. My first was a brand new 1998 that I owned for many years.

I have done everything and anything that you should or could do to a Centauro to make it bullet-proof.

You are fortunate, Joe Caruso lives in the UK and he is the guy who makes the steel camshaft and oil pump gears, and the oil pump with the roller bearing. The bike’s weakest point is the original oil pump that has no roller bearing in it, and WHEN (not if, but when) the shaft develops a very slight wobble, the teeth of the three gears can collide, causing the oil pump gear to literally EXPLODE and the oil pressure goes to ZERO instantaneously. The steel gears fix this.

https://woodburymotomedia.com/moto-guzzi-timing-gears-by-joe-caruso/

The original oil pump is a ticking time bomb and you will want to replace it ASAP. If it goes, it will destroy the engine.

Private message me and I will share more info with you.

Again, congratulations on getting the best Moto Guzzi ever made!

Centauros are just spectacular! Yes, I’m biased, but it’s still true.

CENTAURO SPECIAL STEEL GEARS

20151003 1240252

1589A399 67BC 4323 AEC9 FB0AD0FB0390

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, I will get in touch with him, I was looking at various German oil pump manufacturers, hadn't thought about the gears.
This is my No 1 priority, I'll probably go the power commander route Todd has indicated after that.
Any other pointers would be much appreciated.
pm'd.

Got in touch with Joe and he came straight back.
Lovely stuff, the heart of the problem and what leads to failure of the gears is the pump. The pump that makes up his kit along with some top quality gears and a modified belt pulley shaft flange is supplied by Daes, I'd put the link above previously. Joe is not milking it and sells the pump at the same price as Daes. He does make a good argument for not doing a V11 conversion as he says there is a 20% reduction in flow (not pressure).

So, I tried to order an oil pump back in September. I'm pretty sure Joe doesn't do it for a living and produces small batches to order, his next is around December. Daes were out of stock and about to close down for most of September although they said they would be beavering away in the back ground. Long story short I finally paid Daes on Friday and it's on it's way. There is a guzzi wizard over here called Baldrick who I called and asked about oil problems. Interestingly enough he only knew of one letting go on a Daytona. His view is that if you don't thrash it all the time it should be ok. I don't but am always 2 up and running a fast moving shaft without a bearing is not a good idea. Replacing the gears too seems to me dependant on if the oil pump has started to run off centre. The replacement gears are without doubt better quality but the originals will do the job perfectly well. If when I strip it the old oil pump has started to wreck the gears I'll replace.
Other stuff , H&B rack fitted (wifes back is messed up and she needs the support) lovely quality and after a fruitless search for second hand Mistral cans I had a firm called SP Engineering make me a pair, carbon fibre, 4" diameter. I did put the baffles back in after the wife said she could hear me 3/4 mile away.
Lastly when I got the bike I noticed the clutch cable was on the final limit of the adjusters, I ordered another one and it was the same.
Turns out that the MG spec they all use has the inner 30mm too long.
That's me done, stop spending money on it start riding it! See you in Mandello next year - we're on the green one :happy:

Baldrick and I strongly disagree on that one.

The oil pump shaft wears every time you ride the bike. It is the nature of the design. It has nothing to do with how hard you ride it. There is no bearing support so all lateral thrust on the shaft is transmitted into vibration and rubbing and hence, wear. When this wear causes just enough slop in the system to allow the teeth of the gears to “kiss’ ever so slightly, the aluminum gear will instantly explode into pieces and oil pressure immediately goes to ZERO, and the engine is destroyed in seconds.

It’s not an “if” but a ‘when”.

I applaud your oil pump decision. Unfortunately once you open it up, if it needs gears, you will be apart some time if Joe still only makes gears 1 or 2 times a year.

I always prefer reliability and peace of mind but to each their own..

Best wishes. Enjoy!

P.S. I was just looking at this post and couldn’t help but notice my avatar photo. My beliefs also apply to that lovely dual belt drive system for the valve train in that there are those who do not replace the belts as specified by age, and to me, they also flirt with disaster if that belt lets go. Food for thought.

Last edited:
I gave the V10 to guzzi wizard Baldrick to change the oil pump as I wasn't confident and don't have the space.
Got her back today, top bloke, top job. Interestingly there was no wear at all on the oil pump (radial or axial movement) or the gears but the pulley drive bearings were scrap, sounding like maracas when shaken.

IMG 20201122 200251852 IMG 20201128 152303910

Congratulations on your successful repair! It’s nice that you found the damaged pulleys as that could have been another form of UGLY.

Now you have peace of mind and can ride the hell out of it! Your finding Baldrick sounds like a real good thing.

I will be opening my Centauro up this winter and replacing the oil pump and steel gears.

It is my hope to fully photograph and document the procedure for others who might want to do this. Wish me luck.

I'll read it with interest Scott, I need to find out about the correct way to change and tension the belts as you reassemble.
...and good luck !

Back