• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Thinking of Adding an Gen 1 Norge to the garage. A good or bad move?

Juan1

Just got it firing!
I had an 8V Griso a few years back and I just didn't bond with it. To summarize my complaints, touring engine + naked sport bike looks and components + long wheelbase + extra weight = bike that wasn't good as a tourer or sport bike.

Back to my point, thanks to the magic of depreciation Norge's are popping up for pretty cheap now days, and I know I like Guzzi big blocks for touring. Is anyone having problems with theirs? I was thinking about getting a 2 valver and adding a fork kit to put a little more Sport in the Sport-Touring. Thoughts?

Two things I don't like about the N2V-1200, riding position locks you in, and the gearbox/trans leaves you constantly shifting for 7th and 8th gear. Otherwise, it's a wonderful engine. They fixed the gearbox/trans on the 4V-1200, but that's another story for the cams. If you can find a 13-15 N8V for the right price for you, those are pretty good overall.

I'd say stick with the 2 valve engine bike. Much simpler to maintain. As to the seat position, the can be fixed with a custom seat. They are cheap enough now putting some dollars into a seat may be the better way to go. I thing the gearbox ratios are the same as the 1100 Breva and I have no issues with those.

My favorite motorcycle of all time was my '07 Norge that I bought used. No serious mechanical issues with it. I traded it in on a new '14 Stelvio because I just wanted a "NEW" motorcycle after having bought used most of my life. Ultimately I didn't keep the Stelvio very long and traded it in on a new '16 Eldorado. I really like the Eldo but I still miss the Norge. IMG 20150626 152700557 HDR

Biggest annoyance with my 2009 Norge is I cannot move around and I’m only 5’ 8”.

I had an 8V Griso a few years back and I just didn't bond with it. To summarize my complaints, touring engine + naked sport bike looks and components + long wheelbase + extra weight = bike that wasn't good as a tourer or sport bike.

Back to my point, thanks to the magic of depreciation Norge's are popping up for pretty cheap now days, and I know I like Guzzi big blocks for touring. Is anyone having problems with theirs? I was thinking about getting a 2 valver and adding a fork kit to put a little more Sport in the Sport-Touring. Thoughts?

1. Ban him! :giggle:

Seriously, tho the Griso is no sport bike in a moto-rag "smackdown" article sense, I'm less with you on the "not a tourer." I have taken many multi-day rides on my Griso and -- while not a two-up tourer, mostly because of limited cargo capacity unless piled high in a dangerous and ugly way -- IMO, it works just fine for LD solo rides. And, as I seem to have no nerve endings in my gluteus maximi, if it were not bladder-maintenance stops and others for fuel and hydration, I'd never pull in just to shake out monkey butt.

2. I have have 1200 Sport front forks on my '07 Norge.

3. The "issues" with first-gen Norges have been much discussed here. Mine -- an '06 build, 2007 model -- suffered from two of the worst: a fractured oil pump and self-destructing CARC. Both fixed under warranty when mine was in "its 20's (as in K-miles). Cannot imagine any out there unless ultra low miles that would have same potential problems. All 2007's -- tho, I tink, addressed by factory in 2008 on -- was an overplush real spring on a so-so shock. I upgraded mine here years ago and have had it rebuilt twice since. Depending on your fighting weight, you'll need to do that sooner or later, with the former better in any case.

I like all of my Guzzis and whichever I am riding is my favorite. My Norge, however, is very clearly my Perfect Pillion & Polish Princess's preferred mount. Aside from the fine ride for a passenger, I get the tank bag and she gets both panniers and the top case. It's almost enough. :inlove:

Two things I don't like about the N2V-1200, riding position locks you in, and the gearbox/trans leaves you constantly shifting for 7th and 8th gear. Otherwise, it's a wonderful engine. They fixed the gearbox/trans on the 4V-1200, but that's another story for the cams. If you grab a 13-15 N8V, it's pretty good.

EXACTLY. I remember you writing about that when you first reviewed one and I continue to think that almost every time I ride. Still, not a deal breaker, and otherwise it's a joy.

Biggest annoyance with my 2009 Norge is I cannot move around and I’m only 5’ 8”.

Wondering if MG changed the saddles significantly after my 2007 model or if yours is an aftermarket saddle. While I am not a knee-sliding kind of guy -- well, unless "I laid her down" ;) -- I do move around a bit in both tighter stuff and on longish rides. I have no issue at at all with that.

As with all such things of course, YMMV.

1921!

Bill

Thanks for the responses. Are there any must-do's? It seems like a longer dipstick and flattened seat help for distance. By the way, if you want to talk about a locked in seating position, I did 4 hours out and 4 hours back the next day this weekend (see picture below), and I definitely felt it on my ride home. I love my modded SV, but with a Monster also in the garage it is redundant. Resizer 15977675125670

Being the practicle type I’ll ask why do you want one ?
How many bikes do you own now and what “hole” will it fill ?

I’d like a twin plug Le Mans, an MV Augusta Dragster, Ducati 900 Mhe, Just because their cool... ( add your favorite word here)

If you just like em and want one, Enjoy :party:

Being the practicle type I’ll ask why do you want one ?
How many bikes do you own now and what “hole” will it fill ?

I’d like a twin plug Le Mans, an MV Augusta Dragster, Ducati 900 Mhe, Just because their cool... ( add your favorite word here)

If you just like em and want one, Enjoy :party:
I presently have two bikes, the Monster S2R800 (last of the Galluzzi designed Monsters, with Ohlins and big Brembos all around) and the SV(with GSXR shock and emulators). Weirdly, I think my SV is just as fast through the hills. I had two similar bikes so I could ride the canyons with my dad when he was in town. Between the Coronavirus and my father's age, I'm thinking of making the Monster my exclusive local ride and adding a mile muncher that is still fun on mountain roads. I want to be able to do 4 -5 hour rides without discomfort.

^^^^^^

And you could still both go out for a ride when he comes over !
Go for It !

I have the Honda XR and the V7, the plan is for my brother to ride the MG and I the Honda because he can’t touch the ground on the Honda...

I may be swapping the bike above for a Norge with 23k miles on Friday. Anything special to check on the 2 valver?

I may be swapping the bike above for a Norge with 23k miles on Friday. Anything special to check on the 2 valver?

Just depends on the year. Many posts about it, specifically the 2007 model year. Search is your friend.

Thanks for the responses. Are there any must-do's? It seems like a longer dipstick and flattened seat help for distance. <snipped some text & pic>

I don't view the dipstick as (particular) problem. Some later firstgens came with a hole and plug. MG sent me and other early buyers a piece of white paper with a pic of a hole on it! :giggle:

I got the TLM longer dipstick, and that was OK, but a biscuit to fill! :banghead:

Several years ago -- and this is a segue to the real issue with N12's -- I removed the "lower lowers" (the ones at foot level with sump protector) and got a Stelvio dipstick.

That solved two problems (and, IMO, looks much better) but, in fairness, added a third.

1. Checking, adding, and refilling oil is now much easier. Not painless, you understand, but MUCH easier. What sort of Mandellan idiot designed the original? :swear:

2. The firstgen N12 tupperware is poor. No doubt there are some owners who have never had a problem with fractured attachment points, etc., but I've never met any such fortunate souls. The 8v Norges have some up-gunned tupperware, and seems not to be the PITA that early ones brought with them.

3. The drawback is some added heat to an already "warm" mount. I wear leathers or (unmesh) textiles, and rarely -- close to never -- am in stp&go traffic, so that hasn't been the problem for me, but it is a potential issue.

Finally, as JZ says, there is quite a bit of chatter in the bowels of this site about the pros and cons of all Norges.

My literal bottom line is that I like mine. LOTS. :clap:

Bill

Alright, I'm excited to take a test ride on one tomorrow. It is a 2007 with the final 5 numbers in the VIN being 128XX. I think that safely puts it out of the problematic oil pump range. The bike has just under 25k miles, so it has quite a bit of life left.

Any report of the Oil pump issues surfacing early in life... or is it a Mid life crisis thing ?
Is there a Fix for it to Nip it in the Bud ?
( Low ball the price )

Unknown, it is coming from a dealer.

I think the problem range was VIN numbers 12208 - 12309 range, built in October and November of 2006. This one has a VIN of 128xx, so it was a much later build.

Last edited:
Back