• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Eldorado 1400 too much bike for beginner?

Zmazzola

Just got it firing!
It’s been 10 years since I last owned a bike. I have an opportunity to buy a 2016 Eldorado at a once in a lifetime price, and I’m absolutely in love with the bike, but I am wondering if it might be too much bike for a lesser experienced rider? It’s my dream bike and I’m concerned if I pass this up I won’t ever get another opportunity to own this bike at such a great price. What are your thoughts on re-learning to ride on a 1400?

If you were a comfortable, confidant rider 10 years ago then I would say go for it. Go slow and maybe take a rider training course. If it's your dream, then go for it. The rest is details.

I always had sportbikes before I bought my first California and had the same worry. The California, once moving, does handle very well for a big bike. I have no problems. Don't drop it and you won't need to pick it up. :)

It’s been 10 years since I last owned a bike. I have an opportunity to buy a 2016 Eldorado at a once in a lifetime price, and I’m absolutely in love with the bike, but I am wondering if it might be too much bike for a lesser experienced rider? It’s my dream bike and I’m concerned if I pass this up I won’t ever get another opportunity to own this bike at such a great price. What are your thoughts on re-learning to ride on a 1400?
You only live once and life is full of regrets.

Where do you live? Downtown San Francisco? Downtown Turnipville? Invironment might make a difference. My Eldo is the biggest motorcycle I have ever owned in 50+ years of riding. It is also the first cruiser style motorcycle I have ever owned. I have been riding pretty much continuously my entire adult life. The biggest issue I had when I bought it was adapting to the style of motorcycle, not the weight. Going from a lifetime of foot pegs to food boards really took some getting used to. I bought the bike in downtown Seattle and headed home on it during evening rush hour on surface streets and freeways. Nasty traffic for 3 hours before I finally got into the country. It was pretty intimidating. But I made it. By the time I got home 3 days later, I was pretty much used to it. I'd say, get the Eldo, you will love it. Just go slow to start with and stay out of heavy traffic.
Garwood.

Thanks for the responses. I should mention, it would be my primary vehicle. I live in the city but can commute around the city on my bicycle. Using it as a semi-daily driver, should I be concerned about wear on the engine? Seems like it’s a pretty durable design.

I have put 26,000 miles on mine in the last three years without a hiccup. It's just my opinion but I think this engine is the smoothest running motorcycle engine I have ever owned. Once off idle it feels like an electric motor. It's so smooth it gives one the feeling that it isn't likely to break anything.

That said, follow the maintenance schedule and use good quality oil and other products. I have Todd's complete fueling package on mine, which helps it run cooler, smoother and produce more power. I don't think you need to worry about "wearing" it out. There are a lot of OLD Moto Guzzis out there still perking happily along.

The Eldorado is the best handling heavy cruiser in my opinion. It has the characteristics of a standard with additional weight. Your right wrist is the only thing that needs to be trained. Most of your mistakes will be at low speeds so just stay focused. The motorcycle cycle safety course helps a lot with this. The Eldorado is worth taking the jump. You treat her right, she'll treat you right. Slap it in rain mode and ride until you're comfortable.

I own a California Touring and Also had concerns about the weight before I rode one. I had been “driving” a Ural sidecar for for 3 years and lost some confidence in my ability to safely ride a 700+lb bike again (I put 75,000 miles on an ST1300 in the early 2000’s). One test ride is all it took to restore confidence in my riding ability. The handling is fantastic for such a big bike.

The most important thing with big bikes, IMO, is knowing the clutch engagement point. Good clutch control can make any bike feel lighter than it is. That and turn your head to look where you want to go.

These bikes do “laid back” very well. You should be just fine.

I'm also a fan of the lower seating height . It inspires confidence when you can place both feet comfortably on
the pavement when at a set of lights . At 69 now and it was my first new bike in 37 years ! It's a treat :) . Peter

It's a great handling bike you will not have any problems. I too bought a leftover 2016 Eldo have not regretted it. If money allows send for Todd's pipes, fuel package, and new air cleaner it really wakes up the motor.

I get a lot of re-entry riders and just plain new riders in class who bought a big, and sometimes very expensive, bike prior to class. A number of these people discover during class that they are just not motorcycle people but the fact that they already bought a bike means they cannot admit this to themselves, especially if they just dropped $30k on a new dresser. Sometimes the results are quite ugly.

If it's truly a once in a lifetime deal then you likely would not lose money if you determined it is not for you.
It looks like VA does things a little differently than AZ with regard to motorcycle licensing and training, but if you were buy this and be licensed I would recommend taking the BRC2/Skills practice class to get a good feel for your bike in a controlled environment: https://www.mscv.org/courses-offered/refresher-skills-practice (in AZ this class can result in your motorcycle endorsement and only a permit is required to participate but it looks different for VA)

I purchased a 2008 Suzuki C90 weighing about 740 lbs. after a lapse in riding (34 years). My previous bike was a '71 Honda 750 which I took cross country in 1974. I completed the MSF rider course (along with the advanced course) and it helped me when it was time to take the bike on the street. I now have a 2014 California Touring and I couldn't be happier especially with Todd's modifications as listed in previous posts.

Back