• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suzuki Wheels in Guzzi chassis

H.E. Cowley

Just got it firing!
Hi out there , I am building a new Guzzi Lemans 2 based classic endurance racer and would like to fit a set of Suzuki GSXR 18" wheels in my Chassis like the Motobox guys do in Spain. Anybody know this conversion and whats needed ? Hope you can help Harry IMG 1776

I'm sure a handful of custom work on the rear wheel hub. I suspect they went to a non-cush drive since it's a race bike. Why not reach out to them direct?

I'm sure a handful of custom work on the rear wheel hub. I suspect they went to a non-cush drive since it's a race bike. Why not reach out to them direct?
Tried that one ! They only speak Spanish ! But thanks anyway .

Front wheel is pretty straightforward, rear wheel is where it gets funky. The MotoBox guys machine the center of the wheel out and weld in an aluminum center with the Guzzi drive spline bolted to it. Less radical version is to machine the cushdrive 'fins' off a Guzzi Cush drive plate and bolt it to the Suzuki wheel after machining off the Suzuki cushdrive area. Unfortunately this leaves you with a wheel several mm off center (which is actually fine if you run a 150mm tire). By the time you do all this it's easier and not much more expensive to order Marvic or EPM wheels (if you can ever get Giovanni at Magni to reply to emails).

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Front wheel is pretty straightforward, rear wheel is where it gets funky. The MotoBox guys machine the center of the wheel out and weld in an aluminum center with the Guzzi drive spline bolted to it. Less radical version is to machine the cushdrive 'fins' off a Guzzi Cush drive plate and bolt it to the Suzuki wheel after machining off the Suzuki cushdrive area. Unfortunately this leaves you with a wheel several mm off center (which is actually fine if you run a 150mm tire). By the time you do all this it's easier and not much more expensive to order Marvic or EPM wheels (if you can ever get Giovanni at Magnito reply to emails).
The question is if it can be done for a v7

I meant as in why would I get the kineos, when my cast wheels are lighter
To change to a more sporting wheel sizes, which the 18"-ers are not. I put 17"-ers on my Racer III with a sportbike 120/70-17 & 140/70-17 rear tri-compound radial tire set.

I meant as in why would I get the kineos, when my cast wheels are lighter

To change to a more sporting wheel sizes, which the 18"-ers are not. I put 17"-ers on my Racer III with a sportbike 120/70-17 & 140/70-17 rear tri-compound radial tire set.

Like Todd is saying, smaller diameter wheel, less mass spinning around at the edge,
Ever lean out on a little park merry go round,

Bridgestone, Metzeler, Continental all make fantastic 18" racing tires. From personal experience the Contis easily last 8 hours of use.

Metzeler produces their softest compound (K1) in 18s.

The Suzuki wheels are cheap, strong and light, that's why many top European vintage racing teams use them. Available in both 3.5 and 4.0 rears (130 and 150 tire widths)

If you want to see how 18" tires perform Google Alf's Kawasaki Spa 2015. Mike Edwards does a 2.45 around Spa 110 18 front 150 18 rear.

That's flying.

Talking to a fellow vintage super bike racer yesterday he regrets going from 18" to 17" on his Z1. He feels the 18s perform just as well, give more ground clearance, are cheaper, last longer and offer more consistent performance. He is more than capable of winning races on 18s vs guys on 17s.

He is more than capable of winning races on 18s vs guys on 17s.
Thanks for the input Andrew. It’s a really tough mental transition from race to street. I won races on machines that were laughed at when I first pulled into new track paddocks.
Our friend Louis isn’t racing, and he has a 18” front, and a 17” rear. 110/80-18 & 130/80-17 is the only radial sizes available for the stock V7 rims. No lap times here, just strictly vanity in the end.
So Louis, we can do whatever your wallet wants. I seriously say there is no gains to be had in going with made to fit 18” wheels in both ends over stock. The 17” Kineos we’re incredibly functional and getting super modern rubber on the V7 was flat out fun. Putting the Ohlins front end on was all the better, and now I can even offer dual front disks with the Kineos.

I tried finding an Asian rim to work on my LM3, none around, bought up by the guys vintage racing the models they came on. I used a modified swingarm and 1100 Sport wheels(no cush),machined off under hub to move wheel over. I had already put the Sport front forks on my bike. I still have to make a custom brake plate. 120/17 front & 160/18 rear.

Back