• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Blisters in paint on gas tank??

NJNorge

Just got it firing!
GT di Razza Pura
I was messing around in the garage this morning, and noticed a bubble in the paint on the left side of the gas tank on my 2015 Norge. As I looked further, I found a much bigger blister further forward, under the fairing. When I press on them, they definitely feel like there's some pressure, like the tank is leaking, and the paint is holding the gas in! Anyone else have a similar issue or am I the lucky one??

Attachments

• 20201004_164304.jpg
    20201004_164304.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201004_164322.jpg
    20201004_164322.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 25
Is the replacement tank made something different? Ethanol has been a Federal requirement for a long time...you'd think they'd make the gas tank out of a material that can safely hold gas! :)
I don't know how long the warranty would be on something like this...my luck, I'm probably out. I'll call the dealer on Monday....

If the tank isn't replaced under warranty you can dry the tank out then coat the inside with an ethanol resistant coating.

Hopefully this will be covered...if not, I'll still need to get the paint fixed. Normally no big deal, but I'm told you can't get paint codes to mix the paint. I dropped it in the garage a few years ago, causing a few good scratches. I found out my options to get it fixed were to either have to have a body shop get it as close to possible, or remortgage the house and buy new bodywork, which comes painted from the factory. The scratches are still there. Very frustrating....

Automotive paint shops (paint supplier such as Dupont or Dirzler) can computer match the paint color. Just bring them a sample (small body work piece). It does take a good shop to paint plastic. It will take longer for the tank to dry out and shrink back to original size than to coat the inside and get the tank painted.

Question...is it likely that there is actually gas inside those blisters, or just vapor? With winter coming, I'm wondering if it would be worth emptying it out and letting it shrink back to normal size before having it lined? I just assumed the tank was metal...never heard of a tank swelling before, but now I'm noticing what look like stretch marks on the top of the tank!

As to gas in the blisters, I can't say for sure. I would empty the tank and remove the fuel pump and filler assembly to aid drying. An incandescent bulb trouble light inside the tank might speed up the process.

Hopefully this will be covered...if not, I'll still need to get the paint fixed. Normally no big deal, but I'm told you can't get paint codes to mix the paint. I dropped it in the garage a few years ago, causing a few good scratches. I found out my options to get it fixed were to either have to have a body shop get it as close to possible, or remortgage the house and buy new bodywork, which comes painted from the factory. The scratches are still there. Very frustrating....
i reached out to moto guzzi. never got a response. im going with a leather tank bra. not happy at all

Attachments

• IMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 8
The consensus I've seen in various forums is that the blisters are actually water leaching through the tank wall due to ethanol. Draining the tank and letting it dry thoroughly (months?) returns it to normal, at which time the tank can be sealed on the inside.

My V11 Sport has a rash of tiny blisters on the bottom edges of the tank. When I get a chance, I may attempt this drain/dry/seal procedure.

__Jason

why didn’t guzzi address this problem? they must know in the usa that ethanol is used as a filler. going to put the tank bra on and be done with it. totally not cool

why didn’t guzzi address this problem? they must know in the usa that ethanol is used as a filler. going to put the tank bra on and be done with it. totally not cool

This was not Moto Guzzi’s fault.

They procured their fuel tanks from European parts manufacturer Acerbis, an respected Italian company in Bergamo, Lombardy. Even Acerbis didn’t know this would happen as they bought the raw plastic material from another manufacturer.

The issue rarely occurred in Europe, but mainly in North America where ethanol use is ubiquitous.

The problem manifested in all of the Italian motorcycle manufacturers and not just Moto Guzzi. Even the super expensive MV Augusta’s had the problem.

BMW dodged the bullet because they procure their tanks from a Slovakian supplier that didn’t use the nylon based material in their manufacturing process.

As far as I have been able to tell, the new plastic tanks no longer suffer this issue as they use a different formulation of plastic.

Last edited:
It's just unfortunate that the Ducati customers were able to get a class action suit going and get satisfaction from the company, while Guzzi owners that had the exact same problem were left hanging in the wind. I wonder if there's still a possibility of a class action for Guzzi, or if that legal door has closed already.

As far as I have been able to tell, the new plastic tanks no longer suffer this issue as they use a different formulation of plastic.
Yep. Likewise, the half metal / half plastic fuel filters that Guzzi used for a while (and known to swell and sometimes burst) have been replaced with 100% plastic version in the current crop of bikes, and... they have no such swelling problems. Plastic does not mean "bad"; its the type of plastic that is key.

__Jason

a bitter pill to say the least. when i get my leather tank bra, i’ll post some pics. i have 2020 aprilia dorsoduro with a plastic tank. guess i will have to keep a eye on it.
would be nice if guzzi would redo the tank with a different formulation of plastic that’s a pipe dream

New Moto Guzzi motorcycles are warrantied for 2 years unlimited mileage. No vehicle is warrantied forever and certainly not to each subsequent owner, years down the line.

I think your expectations are completely unrealistic but I feel for you all the same. It is frustrating, but not a deal killer. Once you put a bra on it, you will never notice it again. The pleasure of the ride will smother this little speed bump...

The Honda Civic I bought my son several years ago, had issue with their grey metallic paint. It was water based, and they all had clearcoat failure and massive fading of the color paint, It was unique to this specific color paint.

Some times fortune favors us, other times, not so much.

Back