• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge oil pump failure?!

Oil light and oil can image on dash. My 2009 Norge 1200 starts fine with no alarm lights. Sometimes i can ride a couple of miles, other times the light illuminates at the end of my driveway. Engine sounds smooth and runs fine. I suspect the pressure sensor has failed. I replaced the crank position sensor recently and i suppose i could have caused a loose connection on the sensor. I am waiting on my new sensor just to eliminate that. 32500 miles and otherwise no problems. I really don't want to find that the oil pump is cracked and about to explode. I changed the oil about 1500 miles ago with the OEM filter and recommended oil. I plan on changing it again just because.....and having the oil analyzed if nothing obvious is detected in the way of metal pieces... Wish me luck.

Oil light and oil can image on dash. My 2009 Norge 1200 starts fine with no alarm lights. Sometimes i can ride a couple of miles, other times the light illuminates at the end of my driveway. Engine sounds smooth and runs fine. I suspect the pressure sensor has failed. I replaced the crank position sensor recently and i suppose i could have caused a loose connection on the sensor. I am waiting on my new sensor just to eliminate that. 32500 miles and otherwise no problems. I really don't want to find that the oil pump is cracked and about to explode. I changed the oil about 1500 miles ago with the OEM filter and recommended oil. I plan on changing it again just because.....and having the oil analyzed if nothing obvious is detected in the way of metal pieces... Wish me luck.

You should be fine. The pump issues were with the 2007 model year.

I replied to a post by Bill Hagen but wanted to repeat my reply to a wider audience. Please excuse if you've read this before:

Sometime back I picked up a pristine 2007 Norge with a build date of March 2007 and VIN ending in 113059. Currently has <10K miles. On a ride this past weekend I was at a stop and noticed the red triangle on the dash suddenly lit up. I pulled away and the triangle light disappeared but I decided to slowly ride home....about 40 miles. The triangle did not return even when stopped again at home. No noise or diminished performance of the motor. When I got home I noticed the 'wrench' service symbol. was illuminated. It may have been on earlier but if so I probably didn't see it due to dim backlighting of the dash display and bright sunlight. Error codes showed DSB 08 which is supposed to be 'oil pressure fault'. Oil level was correct. There was also a DSB 05 fault code (fuel sensor). I don't know what issues will throw that code but the fuel gage, fuel delivery and performance are spot on.

Based on Bill Hagen's comments about no pump failures AFTER March '07 and my build date OF March '07, should I be suspicious of my oil pump? Or, does anyone suggest checking/replacing the sending unit and see what happens?

Is there any way to know if the pump is shot without tearing into the motor?

Any suggestions from anyone will be appreciated,

All comes down to "do you feel lucky?"
Certainly worth checking the connection to the pressure sensor.
My experience was just the same as yours, in fact I rode back from France to the UK after seeing the light on. The oil light was also illuminated. So I shut the motor off, tried again a couple of times before it started and the light went out.
When I got home, about 200 miles later I decided to check and found the outer pump rotor in three pieces. I was fortunate in that I had read of Bill's experience.
No further damage was caused.

You may want to change the pres sender first and then if issue persists pull front cover right away. It will be a different pressure if cracked rotor.

Guzzi have never been able to say exactly from which VIN number a change happened. So do not rely on your bike being a slightly higher number. They still use up parts when building.

Well, crap...was hoping for some confidence building information. Suppose I could go for a while longer and keep my eyes glued to the dash. But, there's nothing worse than thumbing the starter and hear the bike roar to life and at the same instant have that gnawing feeling that the only way you might get back home is in the front seat of a roll-back.

Well, crap...was hoping for some confidence building information. Suppose I could go for a while longer and keep my eyes glued to the dash. But, there's nothing worse than thumbing the starter and hear the bike roar to life and at the same instant have that gnawing feeling that the only way you might get back home is in the front seat of a roll-back.

I would not recommend pushing your luck. Check the sensor first then go deeper if required.

I was lucky, it only cost me a couple of hundred for a new pump, and a bit of time to fit it.
Bill (and others) were not so lucky, do you fancy the idea of having to buy a new engine complete?

It might be the pressure sensor, certainly check that out first.

Took the bike out yesterday for a 'spirited' hour ride. I lugged the bike hard at low RPM /low speeds and also ran the bike to the 'upper end of the scale. Didn't see any red colors, triangles or wrenches at any speed or RPM. I also understand this was just a one time test and I must remain vigilant. But I did feel a touch better and maybe the DSB08 error code from this past weekend's ride was just a fluke.

Last edited:
Took the bike out yesterday for a 'spirited' hour ride. I lugged the bike hard at low RPM /low speeds and also ran the bike to the 'upper end scale. Didn't see any red colors, triangles or wrenches at any speed or RPM. I also understand this was just a one time test and I must remain vigilant. But I did feel a touch better and maybe the DSB08 error code from this past weekend's ride was just a fluke.

By the time you get the warning light it is too late. Don't push your luck and make sure everything is good.

Took the bike out yesterday for a 'spirited' hour ride. I lugged the bike hard at low RPM /low speeds and also ran the bike to the 'upper end scale. Didn't see any red colors, triangles or wrenches at any speed or RPM. I also understand this was just a one time test and I must remain vigilant. But I did feel a touch better and maybe the DSB08 error code from this past weekend's ride was just a fluke.
Your bike, your money, your risk.

Yep, the risk is certainly there. And, unfortunately, the ONLY sure way to know is to tear into it.. The root of my hesitancy to start wrenching is I am not aware of any bike having a confirmed failure with a VIN higher than mine (113059). But as someone said, Luigi would surely use up all the parts on the shelf before switching to new stock.

But you have to ask yourself, have you actually heard of every single failure in the world to be sure yours is safe?
And VIN numbers are not any guarantee. Just look at the roller cam follower fiasco. There are lists of VIN numbers which were supposed to be the start of rollers, but I know of some later ones which were not.

I have no illusions that VIN numbers are anything other than 'information'. As said before, the ONLY way to know is to 'tear' into the motor.

It is a sobering thought that for every 1000 RPM of engine speed, the crankshaft rotates almost 17 revolutions per second.

Lose oil pressure at a mild 3,000 rpm, and for every second elapsed, the crank will have spun around without forced pressure lubrication protection, 50 times!

“Testing” an oil delivery problem in an engine by “a 'spirited' hour ride. I lugged the bike hard at low RPM /low speeds and also ran the bike to the 'upper end of the scale. “ seems like hubris and self-destructive to the extreme!

If you had seen the warning light, assuming you were lightning fast at clicking the engine kill switch, while “at the upper end of the extreme”, you were spinning the crankshaft 134 times per second.

Without a doubt, that would be complete bottom end destruction!

The warning light at that point would really be a indicator light for “you just killed your engine”.

I hope you choose to address this serious issue in a less volatile and highly risky way.

Oil pumps are cheap. Engines are expensive.

Last edited:
Back