• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

One sooty plug with backfiring and poor low speed running

ducatiguzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi All
My 2011 Stelvio NTX 8V has developed a sooty LHS spark plug. i've swapped the plug and the problem stays with the LHS. Diag is kicking out P0130 and P0141 fault codes, both lambda related but I'm thinking this could be a result of the rich running and not the fault itself. Everything looks fine physically, valve clearances, TPS, no HT leakage as far as I can see (I have plugs and caps on order though). Its only done 17k miles and the air intakes are very clean. When running, it is often rough on small throttle openings but clears when I gun it, worse when hot. Why would only one side decide to run rich? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Pay attention to the notice for posting about software.
I would just disconnect the O2 sensors & see if rich condition goes away, rule out the faults the ECU is telling you. If it is faulty O2 sensors the plugs will clean up. It will throw a code but will take them out of the issue.

Switched lambdas off and now running nicely. 1st pic os standard map, 2nd with lambdas disabled. Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20201002_174251.jpg
    20201002_174251.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201004_221038.jpg
    20201004_221038.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 27
Might just as well replace the plug boots now people use screwdrivers to remove and destroy them slip a big zip tie under instead. New plugs are cheap
True, but I do not recommend the zip-tie method either. It will cause the same issue. Best is to leverage the valve cover off with the boot in place using a finger or palm to hold the boot from flexing. Both valve cover and plug boot pop off easily and cause no damage.
Time to replace the lambda on the rich side.
Don't bother John, the freeware is at work again with ignorance.

Hi, yes . Im deliberating £80 for a new lambda or a new map or leave disabled with current map.
Thanks

I believe the lambda is the same as for a certain model Fiat. I think the Brava but I could be wrong. The key feature is the 4 pin connector. You might find one for less than from a dealer.

I do know that Todd has a nice tune for the model Stelvio. Vagrant here had it installed then sold bike later and I rollerized it for the next owner. Bike ran very well. Had a pipe on it which helped. Good luck in your search.

...Why would only one side decide to run rich? Thanks

Im deliberating £80 for a new lambda or a new map or leave disabled with current map.

Couldn't be that you like so many others, have used that terrible "Free" and unsupported garbage software to go mucking around in your ECU could it? More Moto Guzzi motorcycles have been wrecked by that piece of crap than I can shake a stick at.

It's equivalent to performing brain surgery on yourself just because you can pick up a scapel on eBay.

Why in the world would you deliberately run your expensive motorcycle on a "current map" which I'm sure is from that garbage software as well, instead of purchasing a new λ sensor and running the motorcycle they way it was engineered?

I will never understand that kind of penny-wise-pound-foolishness.

Couldn't be that you like so many others, have used that terrible "Free" and unsupported garbage software to go mucking around in your ECU could it? More Moto Guzzi motorcycles have been wrecked by that piece of crap than I can shake a stick at.

It's equivalent to performing brain surgery on yourself just because you can pick up a scapel on eBay.

Why in the world would you deliberately run your expensive motorcycle on a "current map" which I'm sure is from that garbage software as well, instead of purchasing a new λ sensor and running the motorcycle they way it was engineered?

I will never understand that kind of penny-wise-pound-foolishness.
Hi Scott
Thanks for your input.
para 1 - No, original fault described, no "mucking around"
para 2 - Im not trained in brain surgery but i am in other things... especially ebay
para 3 - Current map is from Moto Guzzi - version checked after my rollerisation by main dealer. I switched off the lambdas to prove the fault - I'm an electronics engineer, goes with the territory.
para 4 - Not sue what you mean here, £80 is pound foolish if I dont need to spend it. PS I think Ive found one for £25

Im sure you hear of plenty guys using non Moto Guzzi approved stuff you obviously dont condone but I suppose its up to the owner at the end of the day. I believe Guzzi shafted me with the flat tappet issue. I'll decide what to do with my bike from now on.

Thank you for your words of wisdom though. I do like your quote at the bottom of your post.... be happy!!

Hey, you are welcome!

You said “Diag“ and “problem” in the same post.

I thought you were communicating the exact same two words that if we allowed them on the forum, you would find those two together 98% of the time.

If that wasn’t your message and I missed it, then I’m sorry to have pricked you.

However, one cannot help but wonder precisely how you “turned off the lambdas”.

I guess you must have a Piaggio dealers Navigator software terminal?

Hmm.

Please, enlighten us all on how you did that because that is a really neat trick!

Oh, and changing between maps 1 and 2. I’m simply dying to hear how you magically accomplished that.

I’m all ears! (So is everybody else)

Please, tell us how you accomplished these amazing feats of ECU manipulation without a software communications interface to the ECU.

Any owner can do whatever they wish but we mechanics are not stupid.

I feel as if you have blown so much smoke up my bum that my eventual autopsy will be permanently ruined.

I could be wrong. Please, enlighten us.

Oh, and Moto Guzzi STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE regarding the flat tappet issue, and paid huge monies out to fix a problem, YEARS after their warranty responsibility had ended. They behaved EXEMPLARY in the regard.

I know this because I wrote the definitive post on the subject here.

Thanks for your story...

My quote is for people just like you.

Thanks. i’m always happy. I’m a motorcycle mechanic and I work for myself.

Cheers!

Pay attention to the notice for posting about software.
I would just disconnect the O2 sensors & see if rich condition goes away, rule out the faults the ECU is telling you. If it is faulty O2 sensors the plugs will clean up. It will throw a code but will take them out of the issue.
Hi Steve. I'm sorry about mentioning software, I honestly didnt know it was banned. I'll not do it again. I'm going to order new O2 sensors since I'm now convinced this is the issue. Thanks. Jim

I do know that Todd has a nice tune for the model Stelvio. Vagrant here had it installed then sold bike later and I rollerized it for the next owner. Bike ran very well. Had a pipe on it which helped. Good luck in your search.
Hi Again
Can you let me know how to contact Todd and find out how I can try his tune? I'm looking at the GRP pipe which is easily available in the UK. Mistral and Mivv seem scarcer.
Thanks again.

I have had Todd’s full setup for years on my Stelvio, including the PC-V, Autotune dual sensor setup, and airbox lid modification. I also have his reflash tool.

I use a Mistral carbon cone exhaust.

Since Installation, I have had what I refer to as “the best running Stelvio in the world”. Every friend who has ridden my motorcycle, agrees. I never once regretted spending the money to do that on my Stelvio.

Good luck with your quest.

Back