• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III vs BMW R nine T?

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Just curious if anyone who has owned or ridden both bikes can compare the two? I find myself in need of a new motorcycle and have been thinking of coming back to Moto Guzzi after being on a Triumph for a couple of years. As I said in another thread, the Stone S caught my eye and it is high on my list. But I've had more than one person tell me "you've got to try out the R9T."

I have never ridden a BMW, and to be honest aesthetically I was never much drawn to the new ones, though I've always loved the look of the old airheads. But the looks of the R9T have grown on me, esp the Pure (I wouldn't get either the Racer or the Scrambler). Planning to test ride whenever I can of course, but there's not many around due to lack of restocking in the COVID era, and I've been pretty busy with work. But in the back of mind I am constantly thinking, "gotta get a bike, gotta get a bike..."

So in the meantime, open to any feedback, esp with regard to feel and ride and performance, but also just opinions on aesthetics and all around owning experiences.

Friend of mine has a R9T Pure. Its a sharp looking bike, and he quite likes it. I admit, I haven't ridden it, but... while it's about 60 lbs heavier than the V7, it also has a significantly larger motor, and 2X the horsepower of the V7, so... that should give you a good idea of which will win in the "performance" category.

__Jason

In my opinion they are both nice motorcycles but very different machines.
The Guzzi is smaller and feels smaller. The beemer is bigger but doesn’t feel like a boat. It does have double the power but you could buy two V7 for the price of one R9T, so same hp per dollar.

Actually neither the price nor the weight are as different as one might think. The R9T Pure base price is $9995 vs $9490 for the Stone S. Wet weight is 483 lbs vs 461 lbs. Accessories for either one will of course be far too expensive...

I didn’t realize they were that close in weight. You’ll have to ride both and compare.
As far as price goes, in my area the Guzzi dealer will almost pay you to take a V7 or V9. You can get them for almost $2k under msrp.
I also, mistakenly, assumed the BMW was closer to $12k-13k.
Either way I think both bikes would be a pleasure to own.

I didn’t realize they were that close in weight. You’ll have to ride both and compare.
As far as price goes, in my area the Guzzi dealer will almost pay you to take a V7 or V9. You can get them for almost $2k under msrp.
I also, mistakenly, assumed the BMW was closer to $12k-13k.
Either way I think both bikes would be a pleasure to own.

The R9T seems to vary widely in price, depending a host of paint schemes and "kits," so you often see them listed anywhere between 10 and 20k, and it may not be easy to find a genuine base-price bike. And Guzzi has some financing deals going and discounts, so I do imagine that the Guzzi would end up being a grand or more less in the end.

It's interesting, the bikes are alike in certain ways compared to others I might consider -- naked, air cooled, similar transverse engine mounting, "retro" in their different ways. At the same time, obviously very different, mainly in looks and in horsepower. I've always preferred the Guzzi look, but as I say I've warmed up to the more stripped down version of the BMW. The biggest factor is HP I guess, and I am not sure how much that means to me. Most of my riding is city riding, with occasional trips out to semi-country roads, and occasionally on the highway. I'm not a particularly fast rider (though of course like to wind it out once in a while..).

There's also the question of long term reliability. Traditional wisdom would say that the BMW wins this far and away, but I gather the newer ones aren't quite bullet proof, and that Guzzi is much better than they used to be in this regard.

Your question, Major T, is, perhaps, one of the most stark examples of apples v. oranges m/c compos I can recall.

First, I like (almost) all motorcycles. BMW's are a bit off-putting for me -- tho I did spend the first two years of my life riding in a sidecar of one in Germany, c.1947-48! You'd think they'd be in my blood, but not. ;)

Some dealer interaction has kept me away, no doubt a bit unfairly, but c'est la vie ... erm ... so ist das Leben. :giggle:

And, that said, I know it's heresy in many Guzzi circles, but I like the R nineT in (virtually) all of its versions.

It is, not, however, IMO, in any way except two wheels and handlebars, etc., a similar enough machine to a V7 III to be compared. Maybe I asm just missing something you and others see.

Now, be all of that as it may, are you in Washington, D.C., or the State of Washington? If the former, and you have not already ridden a III, come out sometime -- before winter! :cry: -- and take a spin on mine.

I find it a very pleasant machine for local back roads, but I cannot imagine that its power-to-weight makes it in anything like the R nineT if one wants to romp in a seriously quick way. I have not looked at dyno numbers -- and really don't care about such -- so maybe they are closer than I imagine.

Don't misread that, as I love my III. In fact, after I finish this post, I am going to take it over into Virginia horse country near Middleburg, then return home via Skyline Drive. I am so very good at retirement. :clap:

Best,

Bill

EDITED to add that I had not seen your last when I sent mine, above, off into the ether. I'll only address now the reliability piece. I have had virtually no problems with either my V7 II or III. Actually, none with the III and (with exception of a "flaking paint in filler"), only one with the Stornello (that was not self-inflicted :cry:). The proof in that is that when I travel with EV and Norge, I take enough tools with me (or in Kathi's "support vehicle!) to do depot-level maintenance. I take almost nothing in the two V7's.

Your question, Major T, is, perhaps, one of the most stark examples of apples v. oranges m/c compos I can recall.

First, I like (almost) all motorcycles. BMW's are a bit off-putting for me -- tho I did spend the first two years of my life riding in a sidecar of one in Germany, c.1947-48! You'd think they'd be in my blood, but not. ;)

Some dealer interaction has kept me away, no doubt a bit unfairly, but c'est la vie ... erm ... so ist das Leben. :giggle:

And, that said, I know it's heresy in many Guzzi circles, but I like the R nineT in (virtually) all of its versions.

It is, not, however, IMO, in any way except two wheels and handlebars, etc., a similar enough machine to a V7 III to be compared. Maybe I asm just missing something you and others see.

Now, be all of that as it may, are you in Washington, D.C., or the State of Washington? If the former, and you have not already ridden a III, come out sometime -- before winter! :cry: -- and take a spin on mine.

I find it a very pleasant machine for local back roads, but I cannot imagine that its power-to-weight makes it in anything like the R nineT if one wants to romp in a seriously quick way. I have not looked at dyno numbers -- and really don't care about such -- so maybe they are closer than I imagine.

Don't misread that, as I love my III. In fact, after I finish this post, I am going to take it over into Virginia horse country near Middleburg, then return home via Skyline Drive. I am so very good at retirement. :clap:

Best,

Bill

EDITED to add that I had not seen your last when I sent mine, above, off into the ether. I'll only address now the reliability piece. I have had virtually no problems with either my V7 II or III. Actually, none with the III and (with exception of a "flaking paint in filler"), only one with the Stornello (that was not self-inflicted :cry:). The proof in that is that when I travel with EV and Norge, I take enough tools with me (or in Kathi's "support vehicle!) to do depot-level maintenance. I take almost nothing in the two V7's.

I hear you, but I've never really minded apples to oranges comparisons. Sometimes you gotta choose, "Do I want an apple or an orange..?"

Appreciate the reliability testimony.

There's also the question of long term reliability. Traditional wisdom would say that the BMW wins this far and away, but I gather the newer ones aren't quite bullet proof, and that Guzzi is much better than they used to be in this regard.

not so sure i agree with this one...my old bmw wasn't any more reliable than any of my Hondas.. and if you look on the deep web... there are plenty of "issues" with the GS series and its rear suspension...
Not saying that bmw is crap, just saying that its no better than many others.

Can't say anything in regards to my goose, it's my first one, and due to a battery issue, it's left my hanging twice...

not so sure i agree with this one...my old bmw wasn't any more reliable than any of my Hondas.. and if you look on the deep web... there are plenty of "issues" with the GS series and its rear suspension...
Not saying that bmw is crap, just saying that its no better than many others.

Can't say anything in regards to my goose, it's my first one, and due to a battery issue, it's left my hanging twice...

My V7III is my first Guzzi as well. Retired her for the season early due to leaking final drive... I'm the only one, right?

My V7III is my first Guzzi as well. Retired her for the season early due to leaking final drive... I'm the only one, right?

I have heard of that, but -- knock on Mandellan metal :giggle: -- neither that nor anything else amiss on mine so far, with "so far" meaning just about 9K miles.

Had it out yesterday on some grand back roads and on north section of Skyline Drive. Two-wheeled joy.

i-cvdmJDN-L.jpg

i-tRcJvGQ-L.jpg

Taking advantage of fine weather and going out again today. I'll decide whither and on what after coffee. :clap:

Bill

I have heard of that, but -- knock on Mandellan metal :giggle: -- neither that nor anything else amiss on mine so far, with "so far" meaning just about 9K miles.

Had it out yesterday on some grand back roads and on north section of Skyline Drive. Two-wheeled joy.

Taking advantage of fine weather and going out again today. I'll decide whither and on what after coffee. :clap:

Bill

Nice. Hard to beat that road...

I used to get paid to test for CW Mag, so I'll keep it short as I get paid per word, but they always capped the stories insanely low word count for print...
The BMW is next level up to the Guzzi in many ways, however getting past the dealer mandated services (which an up is there's many) with the BM arrogance, is hard to stomach. Downside is that you'll see ten at every stop if that matters to you at all. The Guzzi is a likely a life'r for many. On paper they lack much of anything, however going down the road they speak to you like no other. Go ride them both and choose. I imagine the OTD price on the Guzzi will be shockingly lower than the BMW unless you are buying close-out pricing on it.

I've owned an air-head, brick and oil-head boxer, a long time ago... I have ridden and serviced many R9Ts at my shop. I honestly despise working on them.

Bought a 7 III 7 months and 6000 km ago. Final drive leak, engine pinging, replaced cylinder and piston... Actually thinking on trading for a z900rs since I don't like the arrogance of bmw and triumph dealers around here.

Arrogance certainly is one of my pet peeves, and often found emanating from some with sorely misplaced egos. Often they don't seem to even realize how desperate for validation they appear...

"Reminds me of the time I was in Da Nang..."
Higgins 28Hillerman29

Last edited:
arrogance describes the typical Harley dealer 3 years ago. BMW your next poop in your panties!
Continuing on, I almost looked at one a few years ago. they forced you to pay $600 to pre-wire for a GPS I would never have bought. F em!

Wondering if @Maj Steve Trevor ever made a choice. Going through the same decision tree in DC as well, with similar riding circumstances. 90% of my riding is in the city proper, 5% in the burbs, and 5% further afield. I've been on an Enfield GT 535 for the last 7 years or so....and while I love the machine and the engine is still great, everything else about the bike is starting to die the death brought on from exposure to the elements, living on city streets, driving on city streets. My sensibilities beg me to restore the bike, but it's hard to find people willing to do that sort of work (I myself only do oil changes and basic servicing).

Thinking about signing up on riders-share to test a Guzzi, as the local dealer in DC doesn't do test rides. On arrogance, I find this dealer very high on the list. The line they gave me was "well, people don't test drive Teslas and the buy them all the time." (Their shop is always messy, too, which became a turn-off to me during my days of vintage scootering. Charming at first...but then really just a symptom of disorganization lol).

In contrast, the BMW dealer I've worked with here is fantastic and they are also my current mechanic for my GT. They've always been very honest with their service work and their dealership side has been very chill. I've driven the R nine at the dealer and enjoyed it. I also rented an F series BMW in Spain to do some touring...and enjoyed the brand's take on engineering.

Based on the fact that part of bike ownership is the dealer relation, I'm inclined to go with an R Nine T just for this reason. But wanted to hear from some guzzi lovers and, particularly, Major Steve if he's still on this forum!

I know this is an old thread but the obvious fact is that an R9T compared to any late V7 is a perfect example of a ridiculous comparison is almost every way.

I've not owned or ridden the R9T but I've seen a few and admire them despite the price. I currently ride a V7III and after 6500 flawless miles it is the most satisfying scooter I've owned over the last 50 years.

I've heard many horror stories about dealers for EVERY make, especially BMW and Guzzi. I'm fortunate to have a great Moto Guzzi shop just across town so I'll just keep riding this soulful piece of Italian tradition and consider myself blessed.

Back