• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oh No - Not Tires

We have a Cali 1400 Custom and also an Eldorado 1400. The Eldo is more nimble than the Cali, and so I was debating if that 200mm tire on the Cali was a contributing factor to the Cali's reluctance to lay over in the curves. The 180/65-16 size for the rear is very tempting because (maybe) the Cali would be a bit more nimble with a narrower rear tire.

I think I am going to go to the 180 rear tire for the next set.

We have a Cali 1400 Custom and also an Eldorado 1400. The Eldo is more nimble than the Cali, and so I was debating if that 200mm tire on the Cali was a contributing factor to the Cali's reluctance to lay over in the curves.

On the Cali, I was debating a rear Bridgestone BT-020 200/60-16 and a front Bridgestone Exedra G709130/70-18. Alternatively, a set of the Bridgestone Exedra Max tires, in those sizes. But, I am open to suggestions. We have a tire changer, so extreme tire longevity is far down on the priority list.

The 180/65-16 size for the rear is very tempting because (maybe) the Cali would be a bit more nimble with a narrower rear tire.
It would have a better look for me because I find the rear tire too wide. If you try it let us know thanks.

Last edited:
The 180/65-16 size for the rear is very tempting because (maybe) the Cali would be a bit more nimble with a narrower rear tire.
No maybe, it is. I did it on many C1400's starting back in 2014. It is worth the swap.

Are there any issues I should be concerned about with replacing the stock tires with Bias ply tires? Looking at trying Michelin Commander 3’s with a 180/65 rear.

Who's telling you that "it's gone" or is that your observation?

I ask because I find dealers want to have you replace the tires when there's still plenty of life left in them from what I can see. Seems to me it's a quick-buck scheme for them - just my observation so far.

Things can get pretty hairy pretty quickly on an Interstate in any kind of steady rain with a slick tire. Front OR rear. That's one very good reason. Maybe nothing to worry about if you live in Arizona... ;-)

I recently put on a set of Commander3's, they feel very planted and give you great confidence when leaning, I really like them

It IS a truck tire.
And yeah, I have a half mile gravel driveway. Gave up trying to keep the rear wheel clean long ago.

I find that look on the Honda gives me street Cred, a clean dirt bike would make me a poser , but I do knock the chunks of mud off.
They let me ride this walking trail through the park :rofl:

Attachments

• 62753D17-5F0B-4C7E-872C-030C866472F1.jpeg
    62753D17-5F0B-4C7E-872C-030C866472F1.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 7
Replaced my worn out Dunlops at 5435 miles. Just put on a set of stock size Bridgestone Exedra Max Rs. Not comparing brands, but what a noticeable difference, now the bike just wants to fall into the curves with predictable tracking. They are a harder compound than the Dunlops so I'll have to see if they come close to having as much bite. I do have to say that they feel better then the Commander 2s which are bias ply.

I did the 200 to 180 swap last summer. I went from an Avon Cobra to a Dunlop Elite (I think). Anyway, made a noticeable difference in the way the bike handles (sorry, I've got a 2014 Cali1400 Custom). Also sped up the indicated speed a whopping 10 mph at an indicated 80mph (GPS said 70-71). It also sped up steering input quite a bit. Almost to the point of feeling "twitchy" up above 80mph (real). For a touring bike, particularly with two up, it very well might be an improvement. But with my generally non-touring, single rider mode, I'm not real sure I like it, as the bike handles very responsively already for a 700lb behemoth. I may very well go back to the 200 on the next tire change, just to make sure it's an improvement to me. The smaller tire DID make a good 15 minute improvement in mounting time, and I didn't have to do anything funny with moving the brake caliper/rear shock out of the way. Like I had to do to get the big Avon off the bike.

Your mileage may vary... ;-)

I did the 200 to 180 swap last summer.

Also sped up the indicated speed a whopping 10 mph at an indicated 80mph (GPS said 70-71).

It also sped up steering input quite a bit. Almost to the point of feeling "twitchy" up above 80mph (real).

The smaller tire DID make a good 15 minute improvement in mounting time, and I didn't have to do anything funny with moving the brake caliper/rear shock out of the way.

James,

Did you re-calibrate the speedo? (I think we can do this....)

Also, the comment about not needing to remove the brake caliper is very helpful. Anything that helps with the complicated rear wheel removal/install process is a plus.

I did the 200 to 180 swap last summer. I went from an Avon Cobra to a Dunlop Elite (I think). Anyway, made a noticeable difference in the way the bike handles (sorry, I've got a 2014 Cali1400 Custom). Also sped up the indicated speed a whopping 10 mph at an indicated 80mph (GPS said 70-71). It also sped up steering input quite a bit. Almost to the point of feeling "twitchy" up above 80mph (real). For a touring bike, particularly with two up, it very well might be an improvement. But with my generally non-touring, single rider mode, I'm not real sure I like it, as the bike handles very responsively already for a 700lb behemoth. I may very well go back to the 200 on the next tire change, just to make sure it's an improvement to me. The smaller tire DID make a good 15 minute improvement in mounting time, and I didn't have to do anything funny with moving the brake caliper/rear shock out of the way. Like I had to do to get the big Avon off the bike.

Your mileage may vary... ;-)
Personally speaking I thought the original Dunlop’s were sh1te. Avon Cobra’s far superior imho. Didn’t fanny about changing sizes as had I got pulled by local plod it would have resulted in a fine and and also wouldn’t have passed the transport inspection.

James,

Did you re-calibrate the speedo? (I think we can do this....)

Also, the comment about not needing to remove the brake caliper is very helpful. Anything that helps with the complicated rear wheel removal/install process is a plus.

I think the rear brake caliper will still have to removed (or at least pushed to one side), since it is attached to the wheel axle which obviously needs to come out to remove the wheel

Back