• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Update your own front forks on an 1100 EV/Jackal/California - I did!

moparrob

Just got it firing!
Let me start off by saying I have been riding for over 45 years and have come to demand decent performance from the front and rear suspension of any motorcycle I am riding. Unfortunately my 2001 Jackal 1100 had (in my opinion) pathetic front forks that would dive under braking and have poor compression and rebound dampening qualities over any surface. It was driving me nuts.

In an effort to improve the front suspension on the Jackal’s 45mm Marzocchi forks I decided to try to re-valve the forks using fork valve emulators and modifying the stock damping rods, as required. After doing some research (and because no one seemed to have the Race Tech straight rate springs which I originally wanted in stock) I had to go over the pond and got some Hyperpro progressive springs (model 623X) to go along with the emulators.

I also ended up purchasing Race Tech FEGV-S4301 valve emulators from our host, but did not realize they needed some adaptation to get them to work with the stock damper tubes. The top of the Marzocchi damper tube is NOT flat, as most damper tubes are. The tube is actually a metal tube with a white plastic 'piston' swaged on top. This means there is a circular 'hump' on top of the damper tube (sort of like this image)

Damper rod 2

To overcome this I designed an adapter (See picture here) which is basically an aluminum sleeve which is .800” in length, and has two different bores on each end. One end has an ID of 1.165” and the other has an ID of 1.100”. You will need a friend with a lathe and get TWO of these made out of aluminum - one for each fork. The bottom of the adapter (smaller inside diameter) centers up on the damper tube and the top (larger inside diameter) accepts the base of the Gold Valve Emulator. YOU MUST HAVE THESE SPACERS MADE OR THE VALVES WILL NOT WORK.

Spacer adapters

I will not bore you with the exquisite details regarding how to disassemble your forks and remove the damper tubes. Once you remove the damper rods you will need to drill 4 new 8mm holes in the damper tube per the Race Tech instructions. You will also need to enlarge the original holes to 8mm. Drill one set above the original holes and one set below them, 90 degrees offset from the original holes. It should look like this when done.

Drilled rod

After you follow the instructions to re-install the damper rods, adapters, emulators and new springs, and set the 15w fork oil to the appropriate level, you will need to trim your stock preload spacer to achieve the proper fork static and dynamic sag. Again, I will not bore you with the details of this procedure but I will tell you that in my situation (using the Hyperpro springs and a .800” adapter), I ended up trimming 10mm from my spacer, which resulted in about 20mm of spacer extending above the top of the fork tubes, which then had to be compressed by hand to tighten the fork caps. It was not easy to do by myself but I did eventually get it done. BE CAREFUL and do not strip, or cross thread, the aluminum fork caps which will result if you do not line them up properly.

I also took Todd’s advice and dropped the front forks 20mm in the fork tubes.

The end result is a front end that does not dive under braking, does not pogo over bumps and allows me to maintain my line while leaned over in a turn, which was not easily accomplished prior to the modifications. The turn in seems noticeably quicker and more precise and more sporting.

The bottom line is it was definitely worth it and I highly recommend exploring your own mechanical prowess as often as possible to create the bike that YOU want to ride.

Hi! Would these modifications work in my 2000 Quota? Thanks
I’ve never been into Quota forks. If they are damper rods, yes this would work.
For anyone reading this, I did all of the above R&D almost 20 years ago, and made the needed spacers for the Cal 1100 forks, No need to reinvent the wheel... though some may like the adventure (I don’t).

Back