• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal 1400 Suspension Thread

I don't think bottoming is the issue. Haven't taken any measurements but sitting in the saddle with no preload, the rear is barely settling, probably less than an inch. Literally dropping my weight on the bike (while sitting still) produces little rear suspension movement. Just for the heck of it I did look at the manual "When driving without luggage, only the rider, rider and passenger, completely turn counter clockwise the preload adjusting knob (completely open)." Kind of loses something in the translation...
For me bottoming certainly was the issue. When solo I would scrape the floorboards at roundabouts and when two up the shocks would bottom out continuously. More so loaded with luggage, (and we’re not heavy people either). Since fitting the Matris and setting up as per advice give here I have had NO issues with bottoming out or scraping.
Old adage, If you don’t like the answer, don’t ask the question.

Apologies for stepping on any toes as that was not my intent. I do value any feedback from this site. My seat of the pants feeling of non compliance in the rear could be wrong. Might try to fit a small zip lock to a shock shaft before my next ride to see what kind of travel is being used. Um Robert, if you look at my original post, I wasn't asking a question.

Just installed these on my Touring this afternoon: https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-s2w-ifp-twin-shocks
E
asy installation with basic tools. Took her out for a quick solo rip around town. Preload and compression/rebound damping set for two-up with luggage. I opted for 1” longer than stock.
The ride is more “communicative” than the soft stock shocks, but not too harsh. The bike felt sportier. I was able to take corners much faster without scraping the floorboards. I also have a 180mm tire and the combination of these shocks and the tire have turned this bike from a straight-line cruiser to more of a sport-ish touring bike.
Next upgrade will be the front forks.
Well done with these shocks, Todd!

I just purchased a Eldorado and have found pretty much the same experience documented above. Bike picks up the slightest road imperfection, hitting unavoidable bumps basically launches you and the front end dives under braking with a pillion. I visited some of the links listed and viewed the options but I don't want to mix and match the wrong thing. I won't say money no concern but I plan on keeping this bike for quite some time and I plan on keeping my wife for quite some time so I want the best solution. I'll scrounge my pennies and wait until i can afford whatever is needed. I just need an assist to point me in the correct direction. Other than this , the clutch pull and the lack of self canceling blinkers I'm in love.

I just purchased a Eldorado and have found pretty much the same experience documented above. Bike picks up the slightest road imperfection, hitting unavoidable bumps basically launches you and the front end dives under braking with a pillion. I visited some of the links listed and viewed the options but I don't want to mix and match the wrong thing. I won't say money no concern but I plan on keeping this bike for quite some time and I plan on keeping my wife for quite some time so I want the best solution. I'll scrounge my pennies and wait until i can afford whatever is needed. I just need an assist to point me in the correct direction. Other than this , the clutch pull and the lack of self canceling blinkers I'm in love.
Congrats on the purchase, and if you have a budget target, send me an email; Info @ GuzziTech.com

I replaced the fork springs with matris and the rear shocks with shock factory units built to mine and my pillions weight and intended use(touring with luggage).(matris units also available but a lot more costly I think) Result, no more front end dive and no bouncy rear end. Bike tracks great round corners giving a much more stable confident ride. Check out some of my posts to see pics of the units fitted. Speak to Todd I'm sure he will be able to sort you out.

This may meet with some resistance , but on my 2018 Eldorado , I installed an old used ( but great shape ) set of rear
shocks from a mid 2000's HD Dyna model . They may have been an HD upgrade . But they have an adjustable dampening
which really works and the spring tension is near perfect (and adjustable preload) for myself and with my wife . Length was
perfect and a .010" thick piece of brass shim stock wrapped around the mounting pins fitted them up nice and snug . Only
4000km on them , but we're thoroughly impressed . Peter

I have a 2016 Eldorado that used to kick me solidly in the back going over some pretty non-consequential looking road anomalies. Frequently I found myself being pummeled on obstacles that really didn't look like anything. For some inexplicable reason I thought the rear shocks were too stiff, even after I set them on the softest setting. I suffered (literally) with them for quite a long time before turning to Todd for advise. He suggested that the shocks were bottoming out (how did he know that?) and recommended a set of Matris shocks to replace the originals. Despite my skepticism, I decided to give the Matris a try as the bike was almost unrideable for long highway trips the way it was, and no amount of adjusting the stock shocks helped. Well, as others have found out, the bike WAS bottoming out and the Matris shocks did cure the problem.

Just a philosophical point to make here. When you own a vehicle, and when you have a lot of experience with it, it's pretty easy to think that you are in the best position to understand it. But the reality is your experience is limited to just that one vehicle. It can be very helpful indeed to consult with someone who has experience with multiple examples of your vehicle and can, from experience, recognize trends. I read every new post on this site that comes out about the 1400 based Guzzi models. It's seems pretty obvious that Eldorados have a tendency to bottom out their rear shocks as they are delivered from the factory. Todd has had a lot of experience resolving that issue because of his unique exposure to Moto Guzzi problems. I don't imagine there are any DEALERSHIPS with the knowledge base gleaned from experience that Todd has. If Todd says something is so, it probably is.

Hi everyone. Hope it’s ok to post this in this thread. I have a 2014 Custom and all I’m wondering is what the Schräder valves are used for on the rear remote shock reservoirs? Saw them today and removed a dust cap. They’re just tyre valves. Do they need maintenance? Should they be set to a pressure or just left alone? I have checked all the workshop literature prior to posting this but Guzzi never mention them.

Hi everyone. Hope it’s ok to post this in this thread. I have a 2014 Custom and all I’m wondering is what the Schräder valves are used for on the rear remote shock reservoirs? Saw them today and removed a dust cap. They’re just tyre valves. Do they need maintenance? Should they be set to a pressure or just left alone? I have checked all the workshop literature prior to posting this but Guzzi never mention them.
Generally nitrogen charged, and not user serviceable.

I'm in France, and I have the opportunity to install a pair of used Fournales for a very good price (400$) . Used, but like new (5000 km).
I'd like to know if the eye to eye length is the same comparing the 2017 E4, and the 2012/2016 bikes .
Because, they come from a 2012 bike . The guy told me that the eye to eye length is 340 mm.
Is it right for both series ? .
My bike is a touring 2017
Thanks in advance
Vizir

Available from the Store (tab above) here. Just got back from a ride of approx 100 miles with swmbo. This is the first opportunity we have had to try out the new shocks and wow what a difference over stock. Bike handles and tracks much better especially through the twisties and roundabouts. Back end soaks up the bumps, no more wallowing or twitching and the boss says the ride is much more comfortable (and that's from someone who has had a hip replacement). All I can say is if you still have the standard shocks, get rid of them and visit the GTM Store and order up a new set of these, you won't be disappointed.

View attachment 17344
What color is this? Not black or silver on my monitor?

Necessity is the mother of invention so they say and with a little bit of work you can have the best of both worlds on the Eldo. I just used a file and about 2 hours work (there are probably easier ways but that was all I had to hand) to open up the ends of the original covers by about 2 to 3mm and they drop straight on the Matris shocks.

Shock4

Although I did like the shrouded look of the originals it was a case of function over form for me. Can fault the shock factory units for looks or capabilities.

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_110801_1.jpg
    IMG_20190525_110801_1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 37
Getting mine in the mail next week. Can't wait.

Tony did you get your shocks yet and if so are you happy with them.I ordered mine around 5 weeks ago and really can't wait to get them as these stock rear shocks are pounding my back on the smallest of bumps in the road.I am at the point that I don't even want to ride until I can change them out.

Back