• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake Certificate--Export US to Japan

xchristian

Just got it firing!
Has anyone had any luck getting a brake certificate from MG? Were stationed in Japan, and they need a certificate that states the bike meets their standards.

MG told me they couldn't help me. Hit a brick wall here. disappointed MG didn't help with this

I had to do this in NZ once when I imported a California 1100 I owned in the USA. Just find a certified motorcycle mechanic who can issue a certificate saying the brakes are fine. You can't expect the factory to do this, they have no idea about the current situation of your brakes.

I had to do this in NZ once when I imported a California 1100 I owned in the USA. Just find a certified motorcycle mechanic who can issue a certificate saying the brakes are fine. You can't expect the factory to do this, they have no idea about the current situation of your brakes.

It's not a safety check kind of thing for brake wear. It's a certification that the brakes are made to Japanese standards. That the components themselves are up to snuff. They do the same thing between Canada and the USA for models that weren't sold on one side of the border or other.

Yes, I agree it's just not a check for brake wear. The list was comprehensive, and included manufacturer's standards. Interestingly, I've brought a few more home from the USA since, and never had to prove anything.

Just as final update .
Moto Guzzi was unable to help. It's not a specification of current physical brake condition. it's a design spec verification. HD does it quickly. Moto Guzzi couldn't.

What about asking Brembo?
Not that easy. Need it from manufacturer to show they meet the specifications. Honestly since they do sell in Japan, it should be VERY simple. This is a customer service failure...I was REALLY disappointed in MG North America. Not a huge harley fan, but it takes days or weeks...I begged for over a year till they said they would NOT help.

Japan is particular. I was desperate enough to just put on new brakes with japan spec...wouldn't have worked.

You would Imagine if the Bike is sold in Japan - there would be some conformance *sticker / label * that states what standards it meets.
Indeed they may have different Specs for EMEA / NA / APAC so a bike from a different regions may Not meet the import specification of another region.

Is there a dealer there you can go look at the bikes ?
Mine has a couple of stickers "Almost" under the seat that state it meets this, that and the other thing in Canada Eh !

Last edited:
You would Imagine if the Bike is sold in Japan - there would be some conformance *sticker / label * that states what standards it meets.
Indeed they may have different Specs for EMEA / NA / APAC so a bike from a different regions my Not meet the import specification of another region.

Is there a dealer there you can go look at the bikes ?
Mine has a couple of stickers "Almost" under the seat that state it meets this, that and the other thing in Canada Eh !

Sadly this is something that Moto Guzzi needs to get involved with. Even with Brembo brakes and even though I literally saw the same bike here for sale, I need to prove its designed to Japanese specifications. If it wasn't sold/bought in japan it can be nearly impossible.

To frame the level of difficulty, you BASICALLY need a brake test and an exhaust test. Both have to be done in Tokyo (only) and will cost about $3,000-6,000 MINIMUM. if you fail you get one retry but not a way to correct problems.

The part that is frustrating is that Moto Guzzi is unable to have the two branches talk. It is a simple as MG North America verifying their brake design is the same as MG Asia. I spent over a year calling them and trying. Meanwhile when I called Harley Davidson they said they could get it in days/weeks. Some of this is Japan's strict import laws; however, for this one simple piece MG was unable/unwilling to help.

Back