• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

mirror vibration

motobob

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I am having issues with mirror vibration on my Norge. The vibes also move between the mirrors depending upon rpm's,its never both at the same time. I am toying with the idea of buying some mirrors to mount straight to the fairing beside the windshield. Anyone else considered this or do you just live with it.
Bob

Hi Bob. I am having the same problem as you do. At 5500 rpm or more my left mirror works pretty well and the right one works badly, but at less rpm the right one begins to show the views properly and now it is the left one which begins to vibrate. My mechanic says it is due to a wrong calibration of the injection and that it should have been solved with the new mapping. I am willing to prove it, cause I really don´t know if it is a policeman car which is following me or just a jelaus guy. If you change them or their location, let as know the results.
Greetings, Chus.

I've been looking at mirrors off of a kawi zx6 or zx9, they are very similar to buell xb mirrors which I like. I'm not sure what kind of bracing may be necessary behind the fairing to support the mirror mount. I'm going to have to take things apart to find out what's underneath. I may be able to tie into the fairing mount itself.
Bob

One of the more popular mods for a lot of Norge owners is to dump the stock mirrors for the Sport 1200 mirrors. No vibration, inexpensive and better looking IMHO.
GiviTopcase009.jpg

windshield001.jpg

I used to have problems with vibration blurring the mirrors, right up until i filled the bars with lead shot, then the problem vanished.
You can pick up fine grade lead shot from e-bay quite cheaply, just remember not to fill them right up or you will have problems getting the bolts for the bars and end weights tight.

If you are more concerned with rearward vision than appearance, the stalk end, flat black rectangular Napoleons cannot be beat IMHO, & come long or short stalk to suit your bike and/or preference. Vibration free, stay in place, big field of vision. Lots of cheaper knock off copies of variable quality. Personallu I think they look fine too.

Londonrob, so your saying the bar risers are hollow? I assume then you took each riser off to put the lead shot in.Radlefty, I agree the sport mirrors are way nicer . I think I"ll follow both suggestions.
Thanks,
Bob

motobob wrote:
Londonrob, so your saying the bar risers are hollow? I assume then you took each riser off to put the lead shot in. Bob
No, the bars themselves, the tube which the grips fit over.

If you could get the mirror head apart and stick some lead wheel balance weights inside, it would also stop the vibration.
All you need to do is change the resonance.

radlefty wrote:
One of the more popular mods for a lot of Norge owners is to dump the stock mirrors for the Sport 1200 mirrors. No vibration, inexpensive and better looking IMHO.
GiviTopcase009.jpg

windshield001.jpg

A Big +1

Okay, I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to how the handlebars were put together. I see that the tubes are bolted to the risers.
Thanks. Bob

Must say I like the draidt solution. Proven cure. Those mirrors are also used on some Aprilia models and they don't appear to make a Norge any uglier.......;)

Getting mirrors to work well is an extremely hit and miss mission. What works on one bike model won't necessarily work on another. Someimes heavier mirrors work best; sometimes lighter ones do; sometimes changing bar-end weights does the trick.

As I said Graham, it's all down to resonance. Even a bike which is out of tune will give different results.
Changing the weight of the mirror, or anything else in that area will alter the resonant frequency. The trick is to get the mirror's resonant frequency outside that which the engine produces.

I just wish I could stop my LH Norge mirror folding in above 80mph. That's at the ball joint on the mirror, rather than the stem.

Brian

In the past I've cured loose mirror ball joints by dribbling in Loctite.

Another way to help reduce mirror vibration is to have rubber-mounted 'bars. That's what I did on my V11 Sport. Plus heavy end weights and light mirrors.
DSC00386.jpg

The same mirrors were hopeless on the Breva and Buell when I tried them for interest.

I've been trying to do alittle research on line to find where the best place would be to buy the sport mirrors but have had no luck, only able to find the stock ones i've already got. Could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks, Bob

motobob wrote:
I've been trying to do alittle research on line to find where the best place would be to buy the sport mirrors but have had no luck, only able to find the stock ones i've already got. Could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks, Bob

Moto International in Seattle (US) 206.297.3822

or MPH in Texas (281) 647-6557

Out of curiosité, what's the most straightforward way to fill the bars with lead (or sand, I presume)? Take them off the risers?

RJVB wrote:
Out of curiosité, what's the most straightforward way to fill the bars with lead (or sand, I presume)? Take them off the risers?

Well, you COULD do it when the bike is already resting on one side.
It happens frequently, remember? B)

No, I can't remember you ever mentioned you turned yours over regularly. I suppose that must indeed be the easiest way to fix a punctured tyre — it's how I do it with my bicycles. A baby breva is of course a whole lot lighter than a Norge, I don't think my back would appreciate if I tried the exercise.

:silly:

Gentlmen I too have a problem with the vibration on the mirrors on my Norgy. I like the veiw of a oblong mirror. I found some dampner for a Kawi KLR and they help a lot. Its not cryistal clear, more like double vision at 80 mph. I got them at white horse gear.

Back