• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V50ii Ignition - keep original Bosch or fit Silent Hektik?

Jetmeister

Just got it firing!
Hi

This is my first post here and probably not the last. I've recently purchased an part finished V50 cafe racer project which is in serious need of re-wiring. I'm going with the Moto Gadget mo.unit to simplify things.

My question is, as I'll have the bike in pieces, is it worth replacing the 40 year old Bosch ignition with a Silent Hektik setup?

I like that the Silent Hektik has more adjustability with multiple advance curves and the kit comes with new coils, but wondering if anyone else has done the same and seen the benefits.

Many thanks.

If I remember correctly, the V50 I and III used points and were reliable systems. The V50II electronic ignition was a bit problematic. I would go with a reliable system.

The V50 and V50 II had the Bosch ignition. Points were introduced on the V50 III.
The Bosch system had a bad press, my V50 II was fine, but maybe it sounded sluggish below 2500. But it had no power at those revs anyway. The important thing was to make sure both pickups were set correctly with identical air gaps.
There is also the Sachs ignition, comparable to the Silent Hectic.
But bear in mind the V50 is not a performance engine, so don't expect miracles.

As you may need to invest some cash in other depts of your basket case, I'd stay with Bosch for now, they weren't that bad, just this flat spot at the revs nobody really use. I had no issues with it for last ten years and 20kmiles. But, on the other hand, as there's so many unfinished projects for reasonable money on eBay, with plenty of expensive parts bought and never fitted, if you wish to end up like that...:) But seriously: go on with the rebuild and spend your money where you need it. I bet ignition is not the right dept!

Thanks Gents for your thoughts. Adamigo - you're right, there is a lot other things I need to spend cash on, so I think I'll try the Bosch setup for a while, and change it at a later stage if needed.

Jetmeister, how's your V50 project coming? It sounds like we both have the Mark II version. After fiddling with it for a year+ now, I can say the system works well if you can get it dialed in. From my experience, the flaws with the system are in the adjustment/alignment process, which are prone to error, and not with the performance or function from someone who just wants to cruise around the city. Specifically: a) you can't adjust the timing while it's running, and b) the pickup clearance (gap) and timing (alignment) are set with the engine in different positions. This becomes an iterative process of refinement until both are more or less correct. In the case of my 1980 version, TDC is not marked on the flywheel, so without special tools I'm at a definite disadvantage. I'd like to hear your perspective once you have your project on the road.

Back