• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT Oil Cooler

Chris Jessop

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Question for the techies....

This oil cooler kit for the V85TT doesn't have a thermostat in the circuit so am I correct in thinking the engine oil could become 'over-cooled'? This kit looks like the prototype we spotted at the Guzzi factory in September 2019.

IMG 1256 e1575886551648 IMG 1190 1030x687 IMG 1547

None of the production Guzzis that came with oil coolers had thermostats. A rare few have added them, one or two have posted on this Forum, because yes, the motor never got hot enough on cooler days to rid the oil of condensation.
Guzzi adds oil coolers when warranted to combat over-heating, i.e. when the (test riders) get to beat on them in the warm Summer months, with lean Euro fueling. "Air-cooled" engines are largely fuel-cooled, so when you try to run them on air, they get critically hot.
I can only imagine when someone might need a cooler, like true off-roading for low speed, or higher RPM work. If Guzzi delivered the bike without one, I can't foresee having to add one, especially once the fueling is corrected.

Hi Todd, I'm looking through the manual for my 2007 Breva 1100 and it points to a "Thermostatic Valve " in the sump.

Folks, have had my V85 for a while and love it. Being new to Guzzi's I'm not hip on where to plumb an oil cooler nor if there is an easy place to go to install a temp gauge. Now, for sure I can figure this out but any of you savvy Guzzi engine folks might already know and are dying to share? Many thanks in advance!

Folks, have had my V85 for a while and love it. Being new to Guzzi's I'm not hip on where to plumb an oil cooler nor if there is an easy place to go to install a temp gauge. Now, for sure I can figure this out but any of you savvy Guzzi engine folks might already know and are dying to share? Many thanks in advance!
Moved your post to this thread. Start from the top. If you want, I can check stock and get the kit on the online STORE tab above next week when most of Italy reopens. You do not want a temp gauge on an air-cooled engine, trust me.

Todd, thanks for the information and really sorry I missed the obvious. I've been involved with air-cooled Porsches for some time and have seen some of the wild oil-temp fluctuations so putting a temp gauge on my bike won't phase me yet will give me information I would like to have. However, for now, after having read this thread, I will hold off on the cooler. Particularly now that Texas is a bit on the chilly side!

FWIW, I rode my Centenario across the Phoenix metro area on the hottest day of the year last June after its 900-mile service. I checked engine, gearbox, and final drive temperatures with my Fluke infrared thermometer immediately after stopping. I also attempted to measure engine oil temperature by holding the Fluke close to the sight glass. The temperatures were hot, but reasonable and the oil temperature was well within what synthetic 10W-60 can handle so I will not worry about adding an oil cooler (at least for a while). I wish I could find the paper that I wrote the temperatures on, but will make some more measurements in June 2022. The bike probably handles almost 120 F temperatures better than the rider!

Last edited:
I rode about 80 miles today in Phoenix (mostly urban freeway) and measured various temperatures with my Fluke infrared thermometer when I returned home (2772 miles on odometer). Ambient temperature was 85F when I arrived home and made these measurements (in order as listed):
Engine oil (looking through sight glass) 226F.
Cylinder heads 266F left, 270F right.
Valve covers 200F left, 200F right.
Gearbox 174F.
Final drive 144F.
Engine oil (looking through sight glass) 240F after idling on the side stand while I recorded all of the other measurements.

Lubricants were changed to Motul 10W-60 full synthetic engine oil and Motul 75W-140 full synthetic gear oil (both gearbox and final drive) at 997 miles during initial service.

Last edited:
Yes, I am happy with the measured temperatures. The measurements are subject to some variation because of the nature of infrared thermometers (distance from surface, emissivity of surface, accuracy of the instrument itself, etc.) I tried to record temperatures that represented averages for the various surface temperatures in order to provide some useful data.

My V85tt overheats regularly when riding 2-up & loaded in over 80-degree temps, especially in stop&go and hills. No, the warning light never comes on, but it pings and rattles, and performance is greatly reduced. Is there an oil cooler available or other means of reducing this overheating problem? I've had the mapping updated.

the warning light never comes on, but it pings and rattles, and performance is greatly reduced. Is there an oil cooler available or other means of reducing this overheating problem? I've had the mapping updated.

You have a history of “Hit and Run - Drive by posting”. Hopefully you will follow through this time.

I looked at ALL of your posts and you are literally all over the place. Which bike(s) do you actually own? A California 1400, a V85TT, a Stelvio NTX?

I presume you are talking about your V85TT?

If so…

My first question would be who did your remap and with what map? This is most likely the culprit. Nothing will make a fuel injected Moto Guzzi run crappy like a bad map hack fest.

Something is seriously wrong based upon your statements.

So, this information is needed.

FWIW: The STORE tab has fueling solutions for your motorcycle that are Dyno and real world proven and they work. Many here have them (GTM fueling) and write about them.

I personally have it on my Stelvio NTX and just bought another setup for my Eldorado 1400.

Until we know about your fuel modifications, it is impossible to figure out what is going on.

Last edited:
My V85tt overheats regularly when riding 2-up & loaded in over 80-degree temps, especially in stop&go and hills. No, the warning light never comes on, but it pings and rattles, and performance is greatly reduced. Is there an oil cooler available or other means of reducing this overheating problem? I've had the mapping updated.
I am also concerned about your fuel mapping. My 2021 is completely stock and I routinely ride it in 100+ degrees F ambient temperatures around Phoenix without incident. I posted measured temperatures in 85F ambient earlier in this thread and all temperatures were appropriate at that time.

Here in mediterranean coast temps regularly rise over 40 C ( 104 F) was thinking about finding an oil temperature gauge inserted via oil filler plug.Just a practical way of having an idea about oil temps.

Back