• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New here

JohnBahonz

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Hello all.

As per the title, I'm new here.
I live in the UK: Am a 'senior' (67): Own a 2015 V7ii: Have ridden, on and off, since 1972.

The bike before the V7 was a Triumph Tiger 800xc, and before that, a Breva 1200 which I bought new and sold after a disappointing ownership experience. I wanted a lower-slower-lighter motorcycle, but not too slow. I missed the feel and character of the unique Guzzi engine and decided to dip my toe back in and try a used V7 for size.

I happened upon GuzzTech via a Google search re -: bleeding the rear brake caliper. I was so impressed by the calibre of answers, that other inquiries had received, that I joined immediately.
I bought my V7 in the summer and have only ridden it twice so far; I needed to get the Triumph ready for sale and do other stuff. I am a retired electro-mechanical service engineer and usually carry out my own services and repairs etc.

I noticed that the pistons on the rear brake caliper were starting to rust, so set about removing and dismantling the rear caliper. I thought I would be able to buy a service kit for it, then discovered that Brembo no longer sell Brake caliper service kits (Because they got sued by someone in the US, apparently). That's when I also discovered that the caliper is not a Brembo like the front one, but made by a Chinese company called Heng Tong. I couldn't source pistons for it anywhere, so I cleaned them up and polished them: Re-assembled the caliper: Re-fitted it: Used a considerable quantity of brake fluid trying to bleed the air out. Then I Googled, and here I be!

I'm going to try the 'tie the caliper up higher than the brake line' remedy. I'll report back on the result.

Cheers

John

As per the title, I'm new here.
I live in the UK: Am a 'senior' (67): Own a 2015 V7ii: Have ridden, on and off, since 1972.
Hi John, congrats, welcome back to the Guzzi fold, and to the GT Forum! We try to keep the signal to noise ratio very low, with facts, not opinions here. I work diligently to keep it that way.
Two things, love to get your info posted on the Registry thread; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/ -- second, hope you'll donate to support fully enjoy the site; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-account-upgrade-donations.14025/

Enjoy and hope to see you posting often.

Thanks for the welcome Todd.
I will try and get a decent photo of the V7 once the brake is working and it's off the ramp.

Welcome John.
Is it possible that the caliper was replaced previous to your ownership? I wouldn't expect to find a Chinese caliper on a Guzzi.

Welcome John.
Is it possible that the caliper was replaced previous to your ownership? I wouldn't expect to find a Chinese caliper on a Guzzi.
Thank you for your welcome.
I wasn't expecting it either, but was informed about it by a Guzzi parts supplier that it is indeed the case.
The one and only previous owner is an honest bloke, and he definitely hadn't replaced it.

I wasn't expecting it either, but was informed about it by a Guzzi parts supplier that it is indeed the case.
Unfortunately more and more Made in China and India parts are creeping in on the parts list.

Thank you for your welcome.
The one and only previous owner is an honest bloke, and he definitely hadn't replaced it.
Not sure what brakes in particular you have but this might be a step in the right direction.
rrd-preparation.com/en/pieces-maitre-cylindre-etrier-frein-mecaboite-50cc/19485-piston-caliper-brake-heng-tong-30-32.html

Back