• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

SP2 clutch hub / main seal replacement

vitjakes

Just got it firing!
Greetings, fellow riders,

I've finally come around to splitting my SP2 with a rather dangerous on/off clutch. I expected to see deep notches in the clutch hub / plates assembly, and I wasn't far off. Except that the notches are only in the hub. The plates are looking just fine. Now, as I don't like replacing parts that don't necessarilly need it (call me a cheapskate), am I asking for trouble if I were to only replace the hub by a Stein-Dinse item? It's the newer deep spline version. I also noticed traces of oil coming from the engine side, so I removed the flywheel to inspect the main seal. It seems to have been deliberately hammered in but I didn't smear any oil off it. Rather than that, the oil seems to be seeping from underneath the crank bearing plate and its fastening bolts. But I might be wrong, maybe it's just being thrown around. Anyway, is there a general consensus on how to approach this? I am uploading a few photos (including a closer look at the clutch plates' thickness - 8.05 mm). Naturally, I am replacing all the seals, o-rings and the return spring in the tranny while I'm in there.

Thank you in advance for your deeply valued opinions.

Attachments

• 20201116_182557.jpg
    20201116_182557.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201116_185255.jpg
    20201116_185255.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20201117_165440.jpg
    20201117_165440.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201118_175855.jpg
    20201118_175855.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20201118_183311.jpg
    20201118_183311.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20201118_193205.jpg
    20201118_193205.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 44
  • 20201118_201631.jpg
    20201118_201631.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 38
I've never seen a deep spline hub worn like that. Must not have been properly heat treated. Since it is apart I would recommend updating everything you can. Clutch plates, o-rings, seals, and since you have the gearbox apart the shift return spring. The labor to get there makes it worth doing all you can. If you don't have metal cage input and output bearings in the gearbox, I'd make the update too. I've seen the plastic cage bearings fail.

I've never seen a deep spline hub worn like that. Must not have been properly heat treated. Since it is apart I would recommend updating everything you can.

Me either John! Wow. Unusual.

------------------------------------------------
vitjakes

A wise mechanic taught me a long time ago, "One can be cheap, and one can be foolish, but one should never mix cheap and foolish because the result is a bitter brew known as UTTER STUPIDITY."

You have everything laid out in front of you already and that is 90% of the labor and effort.

Replace everything like John suggests and then rest easy in that you have probably done this for the last time, for your entire ownership of this motorcycle.

I always ask myself, "If this problem came back, would I have traded the $ to not have this new problem to repair? I always answer YES, so I just fix it while I am there.I hate redoing previous work.

Me either John! Wow. Unusual.

------------------------------------------------
vitjakes

A wise mechanic taught me a long time ago, "One can be cheap, and one can be foolish, but one should never mix cheap and foolish because the result is a bitter brew known as UTTER STUPIDITY."

You have everything laid out in front of you already and that is 90% of the labor and effort.

Replace everything like John suggests and then rest easy in that you have probably done this for the last time, for your entire ownership of this motorcycle.

I always ask myself, "If this problem came back, would I have traded the $ to not have this new problem to repair? I always answer YES, so I just fix it while I am there.I hate redoing previous work.
I perfectly understand what you're saying, my approach is usually the same. But looking at these SD plates, they look almost brand new to me. No damage on the splines, nice and healthy thickness to them, no traces of oil... For me, it'd be heresy to just throw them away. I am positive it will work just fine with the new SD hub. If I had but one doubt, I'd replace the whole set. But then again, if I'm mistaken, I'm the one who's going to pay for it.

I somewhat understand your reluctance on the clutch plates. At one time Guzzi provided wear limits for those plates. I just checked my service manuals and no coverage of minimum thickness. How many miles on those plates? if over 50,000 Km it would be wise to replace them. Also check the clutch springs. From the service manual:

Springs compressed to 20mm must give a load of 21 to 21.5 Kg

Springs compressed to 17mm must give a load of 28.7 to 29.7 Kg

Back