• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Looking for Pics Lemans with Racing Kit

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Hi,

I am considering building up a 1976 Lemans 850 to run Land Speed Racing. The class will be Production. This means everything about the bike has to be "stock" looking.
The carbs I would like to use are the PHM40 Dell'Orto.
These were available, I understand, in the racing kit... at the time. Since the kit was available from Guzzi, and the kit was installed by Guzzi (I believe), the carbs can be used in my Production class... if there is authoritive documentation.
Now the problem...
Pictures of the PHM40's installed in a 850 Lemans are needed. I have found written info in Falloon's Bible explaining the kit etc but no pics.

Does anyone know where I can find photographic "proof" of the PHM40 install? Anyone have pictures of a 850 Lemans with PHM40's?

This should be fun...

Thanx,

Alex

Hmmmm cool article. I like the way the carbs are mounted but it isn't exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks tho.
Looking for a Guzzi article or advertising showing the PHM40's.
I wonder if Guzzi ever advertised the racing kit.
Alex

I'm a little confused. You asked for pictures of a Lemans 850with 40mm carbs installed. The article I linked to is a factory Guzzi 850 production racer with 40mm carbs (also identifiable by the lack of chokes).

Your original post asked for photographic proof. Now you're asking for Guzzi advertising.

Maybe you could be clearer so people don't waste their time helping you......

If you haven't already found it there is an itemized list of the 'engine powering kit' in the original maintenance manual thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_850-le-mans.pdf
It consisted of a pair of 40mm Dellortos, 40mm Lafronconis and a P3 cam. Unfortunately the manual gives you a list of parts but no precise description

Hey Chris,
I have that manual and have gone through it but on re-reading it Ithink I could use the manual as "proof" to the inspectors.
Also, I like the section on balancing the crank.
Thanx for the post,

Alex

Hi,

I am considering building up a 1976 Lemans 850 to run Land Speed Racing. The class will be Production. This means everything about the bike has to be "stock" looking.
These were available, I understand, in the racing kit... at the time. Since the kit was available from Guzzi, and the kit was installed by Guzzi (I believe), the carbs can be used in my Production class... if there is authoritive documentation.
Now the problem...
Pictures of the PHM40's installed in a 850 Lemans are needed. I have found written info in Falloon's Bible explaining the kit etc but no pics.

Does anyone know where I can find photographic "proof" of the PHM40 install? Anyone have pictures of a 850 Lemans with PHM40's?

This should be fun...

Thanx,

Alex

23227E58 8501 47CA 8FC1 57EB6295A99B

"Chris R" , I thought the original race kit had a B-10 cam and used an open , short megaphone exhaust ?
But I loved the sound of the Guzzi's with LaFranconis' on the over run . Peter

I would really, strongly recommend you use either the Mikuni TM40 or the Keihin FCR39. The Keihin is the apogee of racing carbies, just prior to FI becoming vogue. The Mikuni is 99% as good (performance-wise), but easier to tune. Both are quite easy to find. The TM40 is commonly available new if you wish.

I used to ride a Ducati 900SS (the original '70s model) with the Dellorto 40mm pumpers, and later I did lots of conversions to either 38mm or 40mm Dellorto pumpers on air-head Beemers. I knew the Dellorto inside out. After I came across the TM40 I never looked back. It (and the FCR39) are far superior to the old Dellorto. The Keihin is a very slightly superior performance carby to the TM40, but the Mikuni is easier to find and the set up correctly.

I have a set of PHM 40's and the exhaust in the pics. Hopefully next year I can begin The Process.

re using Mikuni or Keihin, the SCTA/BNI class I will run in requires production frame and production push rod engine (P-PP), I must be able to prove that ALL the visible parts on the bike are (were) originally available from the manufacturer. AND they must be originally purchasable pre-installed by the manufacturer. Also, minimum of 500 units must have been sold. picky picky picky

This has been a very long process but I think it'll be interesting to see the top speed of this rig. It will also be interesting to see if I can physically handle it (I'll be 70 next year... Geezer Onset).

Fortunately I can increase the displacement to the class limit... 1000cc.

Thanks all,

Alex

re using Mikuni or Keihin, the SCTA/BNI class I will run in requires production frame and production push rod engine (P-PP), I must be able to prove that ALL the visible parts on the bike are (were) originally available from the manufacturer. AND they must be originally purchasable pre-installed by the manufacturer. Also, minimum of 500 units must have been sold. picky picky picky
Right! The Dellorto pumpers will work just fine then.

I did a search of Reno Leoni and Mike Baldwin. As close to a Factory race bike there is, many pics, some from when Stan in FL owned it. This is it. There were British racers also in Mick Walkers Twins book. Factory only helped w/support. Reno Leoni Guzzi

Hope this helps.

I did a search of Reno Leoni and Mike Baldwin. As close to a Factory race bike there is, many pics, some from when Stan in FL owned it. This is it. There were British racers also in Mick Walkers Twins book. Factory only helped w/support.View attachment 21098

Hope this helps.

That's the Kurt Liebmann (sp?) bike from Charley Cole's website. Someone in Italy posted that picture and labelled it as the Baldwin bike.

Great article regarding the PR kit here:
https://woodburymotomedia.com/moto-guzzi-850-le-mans-production-racer/

Back