• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The truth about fuel stabilizer - Fortnine

That was fun. I like that guy and that company.
Personally I don't put anything in my bike in winter. It's stored in my 12 x 16 entrance/mudroom at a comfortable 20 C and I talk to it every day and tell it everything is going to be fine as soon as April rolls around. It's seems content with this scenario.
My last ride is usually in mid November and my first ride is usually around March 20th. So only about 4 months of down time. (thankfully) I'm already getting anxious thinking about withdrawal and PMS.

Last edited:
I am a reluctant fan of F9. I consistently find myself watching their videos. Really impressed.

OK, I'll bite.

Why reluctant?

On the merits, wonder if Mr. Shivanekar will get any letters from lawyers representing the maligned products?

I have used nearly all of those products over the years. $igh.

My motos are in the heated Moto Grappa during the winter. When I am not there to talk to them, I leave on -- at their request :giggle: -- FM WETA's 24/7 classical-music station. :clap:

Bill

OK, I'll bite.

Why reluctant?

On the merits, wonder if Mr. Shivanekar will get any letters from lawyers representing the maligned products?

I have used nearly all of those products over the years. $igh.

My motos are in the heated Moto Grappa during the winter. When I am not there to talk to them, I leave on -- at their request :giggle: -- FM WETA's 24/7 classical-music station. :clap:

Bill
Sorry wasn't meant to be that cryptic. Only meant he won me over. Initially thought that he seemed to frivolous maybe? Maybe
privileged ? I watched several of his videos and really came to like his method and presentation. more importantly I kept coming to him any time I had a 'question'. I generally recommend him

Half of the people say that fuel stabilizer is snake oil, and the other half think it isn't. OK, well..... of those people that have any interest in the subject.

Stihl offers to double the warranty on new 2-stroke power equipment if ya buy their branded 2-stroke oil that contains fuel stabilizer.

Next.

Half of the people say that fuel stabilizer is snake oil, and the other half think it isn't. OK, well..... of those people that have any interest in the subject.

Stihl offers to double the warranty on new 2-stroke power equipment if ya buy their branded 2-stroke oil that contains fuel stabilizer.

Next.
By the time your warranty is up you'll have paid the price of the new equipment by using their exorbitantly priced oil.

Well, I feel comfortable about my zero tolerance to ethanol blended fuel and adding Sta-bil. Although, I no longer consider it a silver bullet treatment. It also points to keeping your tank full, with the least amount of air possible.

Next.
That's because there is so much S... oil sold these days. Why invest in the best then run the worst oil in it.

Raven, sorry but your math sucks.

That's because there is so much S... oil sold these days. Why invest in the best then run the worst oil in it.

Raven, sorry but your math sucks.
That depends if you're cutting a few twigs on the weekend or selling firewood commercially.
Believe me, I know all about oil in chainsaws. I have been cutting and selling 200 to 250 cords of firewood a year for the last 18 years. With Stihl oil you're mainly paying for the name and the "warranty extension".

Correct, but, you are paying for oil that will let the high performance/quality saw engines last their full lifespan without knocking out the main bearing, etc. A Stihl is designed to and will regularly last 2000 hours of serious abuse. the next closest is designed for less than 1/2 that. the discount store units more like 50 hours.

Snowmobilers know the value of Sta-Bil.
My good friend owns a power sports business. Where we live toys are seasonal. Sleds, bikes, and such. His shop is busy all year cleaning carbs on the old stuff that's not put to bed correctly. Sled carbs in early fall, snow throwers, you get the idea. it's not hard to correlate the machines that need attention to the machines that follow the standard winterize/summerize procedures.
On the fuel injected stuff it's more of seeing gas go bad in the tank-which he also sees in neglected carb stuff.

When a shop sees hundreds of units each year and the same issues pop up with the same prep procedures-well, it's not hard to draw a few conclusions.

FWIW-any experienced two stroke mechanic will tell you Yamaha Ring Free (now Engine Rx) works better than anything. A sample of several is small- a yearly sample of hundreds tells a bit more.

I watched that F9 video and it surprised me how horrid the fuel stabilizers performed. My personal method of storing engines for long periods was to use 100% gasoline (no ethanol), fill up the fuel tank, and drain the carburetor. I had been using Seafoam as a general fuel stabilizer, to keep the gasoline from losing as much of its volatile vapors as it would without any stabilizer. All of my small engines run 100% gasoline as it is, anyway. Generators, power washers, lawn mowers, etc. They all seem to prefer regular gasoline without ethanol. I run ethanol fuel in my motor vehicles, but so far I have kept to the 100% gasoline in my '14 V7. If I am out and have to refuel with 10% ethanol fuel, I run the tank out as quickly as I can. But they are always stored overnight with a tank completely topped off with 100% gas.

So far, so good. They start easily the next time I go to use them, after a pull or two to get gas back in the carbs.

I watched that F9 video and it surprised me how horrid the fuel stabilizers performed. My personal method of storing engines for long periods was to use 100% gasoline (no ethanol), fill up the fuel tank, and drain the carburetor. I had been using Seafoam as a general fuel stabilizer, to keep the gasoline from losing as much of its volatile vapors as it would without any stabilizer. All of my small engines run 100% gasoline as it is, anyway. Generators, power washers, lawn mowers, etc. They all seem to prefer regular gasoline without ethanol. I run ethanol fuel in my motor vehicles, but so far I have kept to the 100% gasoline in my '14 V7. If I am out and have to refuel with 10% ethanol fuel, I run the tank out as quickly as I can. But they are always stored overnight with a tank completely topped off with 100% gas.

So far, so good. They start easily the next time I go to use them, after a pull or two to get gas back in the carbs.
You’re lucky that you can still buy 100% gas. Not an option in the UK.

Back