• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2016 V7 II Valve Lash

Matt Duncan

Just got it firing!
Friends!

I'm a proud new (to me) owner of a 2016 V7 II Stone. It's beautiful, and I'm in love, but let's get to the question.

My Stone has 3,600 miles on it and is due for a lash adjustment.

With both pistons at TDC, I'm barely able to squeeze a .11 gauge on the intake, and a .12 on the exhaust. This is the case for both pistons, and they tighter than the .15 and .20 recommended in the manual.

I expected this to be gapped too wide after 3,600miles not too tight.
Would you recommend backing this off?

I definitely have a little tapping noise at first start.

Really appreciate it!
Matt

I'm confused are you saying both pistons are at TDC at the same time? or did you turn the engine to get both pistons to TDC

I'm confused are you saying both pistons are at TDC at the same time? or did you turn the engine to get both pistons to TDC

A solid question, but no.

I moved one piston to TDC, measured the lash, found it tight, then moved to the opposite cylinder, rotated the crank bringing that side up to TDC, and also found that sides' lash very tight.

not to sure, but better to have a noisy tappet than a tight one, a burnt valve seat is an expensive repair. I believe there are some engines where the valve clearances get bigger as the engine gets hotter and some that get tighter.

Do you know if the valves were checked at the first recommended interval? I believe it's typical for valves to tighten up early on.

__Jason

it's 2016 so did the heads get retorqued at the first 600-mile service. If it was me I'd start from scratch. Retorque the heads, then using the rear wheel going forward with it in 6ht gear watch the intake go down then up and make sure it comes up to TDC checking with a plastic straw. then set to the 6&8 thousands.
Guzzis just don't tighten they loosen especially the exhaust. Now it is possible whoever did it last set it to the 2017 specs which are 4&6.

There have been more than a few threads here on the subject
My manual says first time at 600 miles and every 6000 miles after that. ( 10,000 km )
There should be a sticker on the bike with its recommendation.

For the 1st 20,000Km on my Breva I seemed to be adjusting them few thousand K's as they got noisy, I'm up to 90,000Kms and I cant remember when I last did them. I do check them at main service intervals but they do seem to settle down.

Adding to an Old thread vs. starting a new one.
It’s time for its service interval- I know you’re supposed to adjust the valves “cold” but is there such a Thing as Too Cold.
it’s between 32 - 37 in the garage ?
if your not supposed to set the clearance when they are hot because metal expands, how much does it contract when cold vs not hot ?
( maybe I’m gettin carried away ;) )
from the internet-
“To calculate how much a length of steel will increase, you need to know how much the temperature increases and the original length of the steel. Like most materials, steel expands when the surrounding temperature increases. Each material has a different response to the heat, which is characterized by its thermal expansion coefficient. The thermal expansion coefficient represents the amount that the material expands per each degree increase.

Use a thermometer to measure the change in temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. For example, if the original temperature was 70 degrees Fahrenheit and the final temperature was 75 degrees Fahrenheit, you would have a temperature increase of five degrees.
Multiply the temperature change by 7.2 x 10-6, which is the expansion coefficient for steel. Continuing the example, you would multiply 0.0000072 by 5 to get 0.000036.

Multiply the product of the expansion coefficient and the temperature increase by the original length of the steel. Finishing this example, if the steel rod was originally 100 inches long, you would multiply 100 by 0.000036 to find that the steel would be 0.0036 inches longer when subjected to heat.”

So how much is a 2 - 3 inch valve stem going to change ?

Last edited:
So how much is a 2 - 3 inch valve stem going to change ?
Only relevant and relative to the ambient temps you will be riding the bike in when done. If you set it now and wait until the dead of Summer, then that .0036” MIGHT make a difference, that is if you can actually measure that yourself. Ha.
Short answer: Not enough to matter.

Back