• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Newcomer Requests Break-In Advice

Paultergeist

Just got it firing!
Greetings,

I have just purchased my first Moto Guzzi -- a V85 TT -- and I am curious about engine break-in recommendations from those that really have a solid technical grasp regarding such matters.

In the past, I have broken-in my new Honda motorcycle with (a) hard-riding, (b) frequent oil changes (first one at 100 miles), and (c) an add-on magnetic oil drain plug. I am trying to gain knowledge in advance of riding my new Guzzi (I take possession tomorrow). This is kind of a big deal for me -- in terms of both money as well as connection to the machine -- and I am just trying to go about the process correctly.

Any knowledgable insights will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Easy on the throttle and easy on the revs , and as the kilometers increase , increase both . Patience is a virtue !
And no I'm not talking about a few hundred kilometers ( a few thousand ) , what's the rush ? Peter

Brett, Scott, Peter,

Thank you all for the kind replies.....most appreciated. I confess that I went on a maiden voyage with the bike (about 90 miles) before reading the Owner's Manual where it is instructed to keep the engine revs below 4500 for the first 1500 km. I violated that guidance already, but not by a lot and certainly not for very long -- just a few sightly-spirited throttle twists during that first ride. Hopefully, the bike will forgive me for my exuberance.

Follow-up question: I am kind of a believer in frequent oil changes during the break-in process. The manual is mum on the technical aspects of oil changes. Is changing the oil something reasonably done by a technically-inclined owner, or am i asking for trouble here by not having the dealer do this?

Thanks much.

Brett, Scott, Peter,

Thank you all for the kind replies.....most appreciated. I confess that I went on a maiden voyage with the bike (about 90 miles) before reading the Owner's Manual where it is instructed to keep the engine revs below 4500 for the first 1500 km. I violated that guidance already, but not by a lot and certainly not for very long -- just a few sightly-spirited throttle twists during that first ride. Hopefully, the bike will forgive me for my exuberance.

Follow-up question: I am kind of a believer in frequent oil changes during the break-in process. The manual is mum on the technical aspects of oil changes. Is changing the oil something reasonably done by a technically-inclined owner, or am i asking for trouble here by not having the dealer do this?

Thanks much.
I have done all my own servicing and kept receipts. I have had no issues with warranty but I have also not had any engine issues that require warranty. That being said, if you can afford to pay a technician, I would rather be doing that and just ride.

You have every right to provide oil service to your bike. It’s basic. Just keep receipts and make a record book of what you do with dates and mileage.

Your in my old backyard...Lemon Grove! Born in San Diego, grew up in El Cajon. Lived in City Heights for 6 years before moving to Ohio 18 years ago.

Did you get your bike from GP Motorcycles?

You have access to perfect break-in roads...

Mt. Palomar Loop, Sunrise Highway, Lyons Valley Road, Montezuma Valley Road, Hellhole Palms Loop, Wildcat Canyon...

Tons of great break-in roads!

Last edited:
One of the most likable aspects of owning a Moto Guzzi, particularly the V7 series and its derivatives like the 850TT, is their general simplicity: any moderately skilled owner-mechanic can do all the maintenance normally required with easily available tools. The most complex job ... changing a clutch ... is complex primarily because it requires a good bit of disassembly/reassembly of the entire motorcycle, but none of the work involved is particularly tricky or difficult; it's just somewhat tedious.

Changing the oil is a very simple job. Just remember that to do a complete job, you need to change the oil in three different places: engine, gearbox, and rear drive transmission, and three different kinds of oil are required. Because most Guzzis nowadays have only a side stand as factory fitted, it's a good idea to acquire a shop stand to use when servicing the motorcycle.

I don't know precisely which shop stand is going to work best for the 850TT, but I'm sure one can be found and/or adapted for the purpose. Pit Bull makes a stand that works with the V7 models (some adaptation required for V7III models) and the Abba Superbike Stand can likely also be adapted for the 850TT with minor effort. (I have one of the Abba models with adapters that work on the V7III.) I use a front wheel stand for parking purposes (to keep the bike upright and vertical, takes up less space) ... that is sufficient for a full service in most cases, with the addition of a small scissors jack and a block of wood to pick the rear wheel off the ground so that I can rotate the engine easily for doing valve adjustments. The Abba or Pit Bull stands plus the same scissors jack and a block of wood facilitates removal of the front wheel for tire changes and/or fork lubricant changes. A similar approach for the 850TT would likely handle most home service needs.

Be sure to check GTMotocycles' listing for products like these, and for Moto Guzzi shop manuals, et cetera. It's best to support our friend and the host of this forum as GuzziTech.com provides so much support and good will for/amongst Moto Guzzi owners. :D

Oh yes: Happy New Year to all! May 2021 be a far better year than the one now past!

G

Did you get your bike from GP Motorcycles?
Yes.....in fact I did get the bike from GP.....I feel that they treated me very well, and the transaction was very pleasant.
You have access to perfect break-in roads...
Mt. Palomar Loop, Sunrise Highway, Lyons Valley Road, Montezuma Valley Road, Hellhole Palms Loop, Wildcat Canyon...
Tons of great break-in roads!
Indeed......the rural section of Highway 94 -- starting from Jamul and going all the way out to Campo -- has been one of my regular weekend rides. The Guzzi has already been out to Campo once....with more trips to follow I am sure!

Indeed......the rural section of Highway 94 -- starting from Jamul and going all the way out to Campo -- has been one of my regular weekend rides. The Guzzi has already been out to Campo once....with more trips to follow I am sure!

Ah, I haven't been down south in that part of the state for quite a long time. It's beautiful country!

My Racer has been patiently waiting for me to get back to it for a ride. Perhaps around Summer: a nice, long ride south on secondary roads, avoiding the craziness on the freeways... That would be delightful. (I'm getting too old: really dislike the rabid insanity happening on the freeways nowadays; it's dangerous and stressful to deal with. I live up by San Jose. There are some very nice roads to the south and west (Santa Cruz Mountains) and to the east of me. Getting to them is a matter of finding my way out of the mania of Silicon Ditch for about 20 miles, then I can ride happily.) Perhaps a nice long ride down Hwy 1 in Summer... :)

G

Back