• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Papers

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hi.new V7iii owner here. Happy New Year! I live in Spain and took deliverynof my bike the day before the holidays. I was handed a toolkit consisting of one margarine metal C spanner, an instruction manual and numerous contracts. Nothing about warranty and no service record. My questions are: 1 is the toolkit some kind of elite inner circle joke that I don't get? 2 Does Guzzi not issue service booklets with each new bike?

Ta for looking

The toolkit should be a red pouch under the seat with plug spanner, some wrenches and a reversible screwdriver. You definitely should have a service book.

Not in the US. you get a spanner for the shocks, warranty info and owners manual too small to read and in 70 different languages so it's too big to carry.

The toolkit should be a red pouch under the seat with plug spanner, some wrenches and a reversible screwdriver. You definitely should have a service book.

My “tool kit”was in the red pouch under the seat, but only contained a screw driver and an Allen (hex) key, no Manual, but my bike was used from a dealer.

Well now I have had a reply from Moto Guzzi....only about the service book not the single spanner in the toolkit. The reply is that since all servicing has to be carried out by an authorised dealer now all the records are on a Moto Guzzi database and there are no service books any more. Frankly I am feeling very pissed off. I have a Ducati and it certainly came with a proper service book. .. actually it has a toolkit too! Not to mention the additional 25 ponies from the same size engine.

I have never used any tool that came with a bike or car. They are usually basic and of low quality. The exception being a car jack of course but only when on the road.
Return the Guzzi to the dealer quickly before you know what you're missing and get another Duc. A couple of basic hand tools and some pieces of paper are important to the rider experience.

I have never used any tool that came with a bike or car. They are usually basic and of low quality. The exception being a car jack of course but only when on the road.
Return the Guzzi to the dealer quickly before you know what you're missing and get another Duc. A couple of basic hand tools and some pieces of paper are important to the rider experience.
Of course. But to reduce the kit to one miserable C spanner when you need two anyway to do the job is just taking the piss!

I got some basic tools and a book I would never carry with me. Loaded up some of my own tools into the red tool pouch and carry that in a saddle bag. Agree with Raven. I always do my own tool kit along with some tie wraps. Better than pretty much any factory tool kit.

You can down load all your manuals. They are much easier to read anyway.

I agree, it’s crap not getting any tools or a service book. How are o make your customers feel ripped off.

This might be of interest.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V7-II-2-Manual-43988-Manual-Service-Manual-/143887084008?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Apologies if I’m breaking any forum rules by sharing. This item is nothing to do with me - just spotted it and thought it might help.

Well now I have had a reply from Moto Guzzi....only about the service book not the single spanner in the toolkit. The reply is that since all servicing has to be carried out by an authorised dealer now all the records are on a Moto Guzzi database and there are no service books any more. Frankly I am feeling very pissed off. I have a Ducati and it certainly came with a proper service book. .. actually it has a toolkit too! Not to mention the additional 25 ponies from the same size engine.

That is breathtakingly arrogant corporate excrement. :finger:

One of the great advantages we have here in the U.S.A. is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, that, essentially, says that Piaggio and other automotive and moto suits cannot require that here. See, e.g., https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

As for the charms of Ducati, my brother owned SIX new Guzzis in past 10 years -- he's fickle, but, in fairness, the sixth of those was to replace #5 that Ms. Oblivia, a soccer mom in the ubiquitous minivan, took out via a T-bone encounter. :cry:

Anyway, he decided two years ago to buy a Duc MultiStrada 1200S. He loves it. I tend think that the Bologna marketeers make the ad agencies for Harley, John Deere, Anheuser-Busch, and other big brands of most anything look like amateurs. That said, the Duc's power is intoxicating and it is an extraordinarily competent road machine and capable enough when the pavement ends. I like it.

But I love to annoy my brother when he extols its virtues one too many times by asking, "So, bro, how many times did ANY of your SIX Guzzis EVER leave you stranded by the side of the road ... and how much of an expensive and other PITA were those episodes? How about that Duc?"

Obviously, the answer to the first is "Zero." The second, "$ix." :giggle:

In fairness, all electronic wizardry, and, because my brother thinks that checking oil level and tire pressure are depot-level maintenance items, might not have been the painful roadside disasters they were had he known what some of us here do, but that's the not point.

Condolences on the Guzzi response as it's understandably maddening. :swear:

Bill

I agree, it’s crap not getting any tools or a service book. How are o make your customers feel ripped off.

This might be of interest.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guz...-/143887084008?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Apologies if I’m breaking any forum rules by sharing. This item is nothing to do with me - just spotted it and thought it might help.

That's what we provincials call the "Owner's Manual," thus, while better than nothing and certainly with some utility, it is bloated with lots of the usual nanny state, lawyer, and insurance company chaff.

It and the actual "real" service manual are available for download here: https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/resources/

Bill

Last edited:
Well the service manual is a great resource to be able to get your hands on. The OP though was about the humble service record. When I have bought used bikes then the service record, with its stamps from the authorised workshops, adds value to the bike. This is not in any way to denigrate people carrying out their own work it is just a fact that a certified shop serviced bike retains a higher value for at least part of its life. Moto Guzzi have now stopped issuing service records, they say that this is all now in their databases. Well, that is as may be but IMHO it makes selling on a bike more complicated. If anybody knows where I can download a service book and keep it with stamps as part of my bike's papers please do let me know. Oh, and I adjusted the sag on the rear shocks today and the C spanner, the one and only tool in the tool kit provided by MG with my new bike, proved to be the wrong size!

Six? 6? that SOB would be long gone at 2 if it were mine.

Yup. The tales of his woes make his unsympathetic big brother wince. Especially maddening was the selling dealer taking the position that it was out of warranty because that started when the dealer took delivery! :punch:

My brother is a mad-dog litigator in the courtroom. As you might guess, the dealer was a smoking hulk when he finished with those loons.

Well the service manual is a great resource to be able to get your hands on. The OP though was about the humble service record. When I have bought used bikes then the service record, with its stamps from the authorised workshops, adds value to the bike. This is not in any way to denigrate people carrying out their own work it is just a fact that a certified shop serviced bike retains a higher value for at least part of its life. Moto Guzzi have now stopped issuing service records, they say that this is all now in their databases. Well, that is as may be but IMHO it makes selling on a bike more complicated. If anybody knows where I can download a service book and keep it with stamps as part of my bike's papers please do let me know. Oh, and I adjusted the sag on the rear shocks today and the C spanner, the one and only tool in the tool kit provided by MG with my new bike, proved to be the wrong size!

Condolences on the shock tool! :swear:

While I understand the "Proof of Servicing" is an asset come sales time, I don't sell mine, so that's nearly irrelevant. Cleaning out the Moto Grappa will be my darling executrix's problem down what I hope will be a very long road. :giggle:

Seriously, I do take pix of my servicing and keep receipts for supplies, so that would, IMO, suffice, at least here. In your case, would think that also of some comfort to a buyer. Moreover, I also presume that an owner would get a detailed receipt of any dealer-serviced issues. Maybe not.

I will be happy to send you my III's service book for you to copy or simply use. It has, as I recall, few if any stamps after my brother sold the III to me. PM your postal addy if interested.

Bill

W
Yup. The tales of his woes make his unsympathetic big brother wince. Especially maddening was the selling dealer taking the position that it was out of warranty because that started when the dealer took delivery! :punch:

My brother is a mad-dog litigator in the courtroom. As you might guess, the dealer was a smoking hulk when he finished with those loons.

Condolences on the shock tool! :swear:

While I understand the "Proof of Servicing" is an asset come sales time, I don't sell mine, so that's nearly irrelevant. Cleaning out the Moto Grappa will be my darling executrix's problem down what I hope will be a very long road. :giggle:

Seriously, I do take pix of my servicing and keep receipts for supplies, so that would, IMO, suffice, at least here. In your case, would think that also of some comfort to a buyer. Moreover, I also presume that an owner would get a detailed receipt of any dealer-serviced issues. Maybe not.

I will be happy to send you my III's service book for you to copy or simply use. It has, as I recall, few if any stamps after my brother sold the III to me. PM your postal addy if interested.

Bill
Well that is more than kind of you! I am in Spain though and very rural Spain at that which makes the logistics difficult. I bought the MG to have a honest to goodness simple basic motorcycle which I could work on myself - the valves on the Ducati Desmo engine being beyond my limited ability - and I hope to keep the MG until I am too old and they take my licence away so really the service book was just me sounding off at the cheek of some accountant deciding to save some money by not printing half a dozen sides of paper and another one putting one non fitting C spanner in a red pouch and calling it a toolkit! So far the bike is running great and as soon as I have changed the pipes and sorted out the suspension I will be a happy man! Thanks again for your kind reply. The oil level saga is a bit of a hoot on these bikes though? How many different ways can there be to specify checking oil level. The service manual has two on the same page!

It’s really very strange that even their own documentation can’t present the same story.
When I did my 10,000Km change on all the fluids plus filter, I let the engine oil drain for 30 minutes, rocking it back and forth, side to side, and it took the full two liters ;)

Back