• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Early V7 Radial Tire Thread

Get the RA3's and ride her bike, too!
Exactly, I got an RA3 for the rear last summer and I cannot believe how much better the ride is. Smoother, more stable, turn in is quicker and she stays on a line upright or cornering much better. Not just control and such either, but he ride quality itself, almost like putting on better shocks. Hits from expansion joints no longer jolt me half off the seat, just a gentle bump and it's over. I used to have a sore tail bone from hits on the stock Pirelli's, but that no longer happens at all on the RA3.

Perhaps the ride and comfort improvement will encourage her to ride more. I ride more and farther, now that I have an RA3 on the back. First thing this riding season is an RA3 on the front. And then ridding my butt off this summer. :)

Are there any additional options entering the market, especially anything for the Breva750 with radial 110/70-17 front and 130/80-17 rear stock sizes?
I love the sound of the RAIII reports, but I was considering something in a lower price point since my wife rides barely 2,000 miles a year these days, and a longer-lasting tire might age out before it wore out. I saw the Continental Conti-Motion and the Shinko 880-881, but both only offer 140/70 rear.
The RA3 is available in the B750 sizes. The trade-off for a cheaper tire (to me), isn’t worth it, even for a bike ridden a few times/year.
All of this got me to thinking about radials for my California EV based "1100S" and wondering how radials work on Tonti-frame bikes. I assume Todd is the leading expert on that question, with his Jackal experience.
My first set of available radials went on my Jackal in 2001 or so, and I never looked back. I was gutted when they discontinued my all time favorite Dunlop D205P- P stood for Police, super-stiff sidewalls, pretty much run-flats. Once those vanished, I laced up a new set of 17” wheels for even more modern rubber. Run radials on every bike you can.
I’m kind of curious as to why anyone would think any bike wouldn’t benefit from modern radials(?). Black magic. ;)

When I could no longer get V rated tires for my V7 Sport Bonneville race bike I had Woody's Wheel Works in Denver make me a set of tubeless Excel rims so that I could run radials. They worked great out on the salt but on the street the difference was night and day, it went from being a 70's Sportspile and became a fine handling, good riding, machine, the difference was dramatic. Get those radials! E8D76380 D729 4805 A9A2 3D83858FB825 FAE7EEDB 186D 4783 ACE6 9DF84C6751AE

Just looked and I can get the A41’s for anyone here in SoCal that would like to try them. That said, the Conti RA 3’s are still my top pick.
Todd , what brands of inner tubes can you recommend when fitting Conti RA3’s radials and any sizing difference going with the 110/80/18 V tires ?

By reading the suggestions on this forum about the continental RA3, I decided to try them also. Ok, my pirelli sport demons were shot at 10000 km, but, what a difference. Way more comfortable ride, even with higher tire pressures, the tires dont follow the crevices (road snakes?), and the bike gives much more confidence. What a great upgrade.

Tires are pretty thin up in Ontario,Canada,does anyone know if a 110/90 tire can be substituted for a 100/90 front tire on a 2013 Stone. Not sure if it will fit. Many Thanks

Tires are pretty thin up in Ontario,Canada,does anyone know if a 110/90 tire can be substituted for a 100/90 front tire on a 2013 Stone. Not sure if it will fit. Many Thanks
Hi Mel, welcome to the GT Forum. I would encourage you to search each section before starting a new topic. Most questions have been extremely well covered here. Your tire size search would've landed you in this thread of ~14 pages. Please be sure to read the paragraphs in red above.

Hi Mel, welcome to the GT Forum. I would encourage you to search each section before starting a new topic. Most questions have been extremely well covered here. Your tire size search would've landed you in this thread of ~14 pages. Please be sure to read the paragraphs in red above.
Will do! Mel

Hi guys, I'm going to upgrade the tires on my v7 iii racer to Conti RA 3s.

I understand you can fit the Pirelli sportscomp 150 on the rear, so I'm wondering if the Conti RA 150 will fit on the rear?

One thing i've found is just because it says 150 its might not REALLY be 150mm ... maybe more, maybe less :( it will vary by manufacturers.
( or what ever the number is... )

Last edited:
The requisite OEM size tire is listed as 130/80-17. I don't know who said you can fit a 150/80-17.

Where did you get this information from because my cross reference guide here at the shop says
a 150/80-17 tire must have a 3.50" - 4.00" rim.

Permissible Rim Widths / Metric / Standard Inch
2.15, 2.50, 2.75 / 120 mm / 4.75
2.50, 2.75, 3.00 / 130 mm / 5.00
2.75, 3.00, 3.50 / 140 mm / 5.50
3.50, 4.00 / 150 mm / 6.00

Last edited:
Scott, the guys that run the Fast Endurance Series in Europe use a 150.
@Walter Glaser - you would have to compare the tire width specs between the Pirelli and Conti RA3 to see what the stated tire width is. In my experience, a 140/70 with a 3.75 Kineo wheel is pushing the limit in width on the stock swingarm. Conti makes a 150/70-17, which is likely wider than the Pirelli. If it fits, let us know, but as Scott states above, the rim is not really designed for it.

I have a 150 Sportcomp on my V7i with Kineo wheels, although I rate the setup, and the tyre... I'll probably go back to stock sizes as it is a pain in the bum to fit them even though once fitted they do not rub or interfere with anything.

I went and got myself a shiny new set of Conti Road Attack 3's installed, only to find the very next day that there will be Road Attack 4's very soon. Ah well, on the plus side my home town has decided to pave miles and miles of roads over this summer and I have lots of brand new road surfaces to carve up with brand new tires! Greene County Tennessee has more miles of roads than any other county in the state, from what I'm told. No complaints there.

It will still be a while before the 4's are available in V7 sizes, I think. Hyper touring tire, they call it.

Before anyone yells at me, I did search the forum for a tire discussion and didn't find what I was looking for. I am replacing the tires on my 2016 V7 II Racer. My #1 criteria is good/consistent grip in colder weather. I'm aware I will have to compromise awesome grip in hot weather but I'm not out there racing. I would prefer the consistency through out the year. I live in new England and like to start riding as soon as the salt is washed away in the Spring and keep going until the snow fly's, even if that is December. This leaves me open to the surprise of some slide on ultra cold or wet days if the compound has a highly variable grip based on temperature. In my recent research I found that the Michelin Road 6 (silica bonded rubber) has a super consistent grip through a broad temperature range. I haven't had luck finding them in my size 100/90/18. and 130/80/17. Anyone else out there live in colder/wet areas and have a favorite tire I should look into? Thanks, Adam

Back