• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Why are Moto Guzzi considered quirky?

senecagreen

Tuned and Synch'ed
The thing I admired about Guzzi for years was the engine layout and character. That was the whole attraction to me. That's what made Guzzi different from all the rest. The first time I saw one on tv was one of the dirty harry movies towards the end. I don't remember which one but I do remember, what is that?

The thing that kept me from owning one for a very long time was their reputation for being quirky. That owning one mean't you had to be a dedicated owner basically. That a lot came with ownership.

The V9 roamer was the 5th bike I bought last year. I always admired the california and eldorado and the roamer was a standard style bike and the weight was right and it had that motor.

I haven't seen a guzzi on the street here. The ones I see are at the local shop. I know because of that there are other owners but I dont see them out and about. The bike is very interesting and I learn more about it all the time. The first thing I bought was a service manual. I work on my bikes...

Is it quirky? I think yes but in an endearing kind of way. It has a lot of character..all my bikes are some kind of twin cylinder and this is the most interesting engine. The transmission is noisier than other bikes I have had but I don't think any is really wrong with it. 3rd is the loudest but the rest are less so.

I enjoy riding it and having something different. I am going to take the body panels off this week and get the tank fenders and side panels painted. When I get done I will post the before and after pic. I have a vision for it and look forward to the finished result. Now is a good time to have it down before spring.

There will always be objects around the world that would be considered this... which often falls into a cultish status if it's a well engineered product, and double that if it involves any type of thoughtful evolution, and triple it if it has deep history. Guzzi is the trifecta. Consumables take people in a different direction... i.e. Most of the modern UJM brands. Simply put the answer to your question is this: Not many people are willing to own things where they don't have easy access to keep things in service (pick the device really). The internet certainly has made life easier for most, but as a true moto individualist, I simply don't care to see what I own everywhere. That makes for a boring life to me. So the quirkiness falls on the owner, not the machine. If you're willing to tackle what it takes to own something unique, that makes you one too I guess. 1921-2021 is an incredible history for anything outside of, well, food and drink. Onwards... Forza Guzzi.

Enjoy.

Millenials have a word for that: yesn't
I have to say that V4 sound is intoxicating too
I agree that many people don't want something that they have to outsource parts outside of autozone.
I can't stand that. it definitely dulls the experience in having to research and look further into finding parts

If Moto Guzzi is quirky then how would MV Agusta be described? I like the Turismo(not the price) and the Stradale.
One or the other may end up sharing the stable with the Norge.

I'm not saying that bikes with fairings aren't real - :) some are gorgeous !
I would would like to have a few more, If I had too much money!
MV Dragster 800RR
I might like it - I saw one locally ( different paint/stickers) but the Engine isn't much to look at...

I went to a Guzzi because I wanted one where I could see its heart

I was suggesting that being Italian might be contributing to the quirky thing.

Last edited:
I think much of the quirky reputation came from the 2V Californias (particularly the V1100) in large part. Integrated brakes, heel and toe shifting, floorboards (really different foot controls in general), uniquely sized 30 mm handlebars on later models, a copy of the “Jiffy Sidestand”, and a weirdly shaped teardrop fuel tank. To top it off, it did not have the performance characteristics of other bikes in it’s class, trading a strong midrange and higher rpms for the low-end torque sported by it’s competitors. At first blush, quirky was an understatement! However, the more time you spend with these underrated classics, the better they feel. Guzzi seems to develop their bikes in a vacuum; using their own problem solving to arrive at a given product innovation. Perhaps quirky is the wrong word. I prefer “unique.”

Back