• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

To buy or not to buy.

blacktruck

Just got it firing!
Okay, time for a confession. I have not been on here for a long time. I sold my Norge a few years ago to do some other types of riding. Did that. Two bikes and some 50K miles later and then I saw the V85 pictures. I had convinced myself mostly that the Triumph would be my last new bike. Now I am thinking I was a bit hasty in my decision. I have for long years wanted an adventure type of bike. Even when I had my Norge, it was in the back of my mind to get a KLR or some other farm tractor like motorcycle for some light off road adventures. I got a little hot when HD announced the Pan America a few years ago. I saw the pics and wanted one but as we all know, things happen. Now the HD people say this year maybe. And at HD prices too I might add. In a rare moment of clarity I decided that wasn't the bike for me. I wanted another Guzzi. The V85 seems to be that bike. I rode one at the local dealer and really enjoyed it. My caveat is this was a short ride. Putting about 20K a year or so is normal for me. For those of you who have one, how do you like it when covering some longer miles? How much range do you get on a tank of fuel? I am looking for a bike that I will keep for a long time (famous last words I know) and use for touring and commuting until I retire next year. After that, who knows where it will take me?

I've not finished running mine in yet, but I did work out that with the way I was riding it on it's first tank of fuel, had I pushed the limits, it would have gotten me 390 miles. You are looking at a minimum 250 miles I imagine even if pushing on.
I have just got rid of my car and will be commuting on the bike and doing my weekly shop, loads of luggage space and really nice to ride. Lazy engine, but very pleasant to push through some country lanes! :)

I sold my 1200 Sport and a Kawasaki Versys-X to purchase my V85, so far it is all that I hoped it would be.
I bought mine last January from AF1 and then rode it home to Tucson over a few days. Since then I haven't had the opportunity to put tons of miles on due to COVID but have managed a few weekend getaways.
At secondary street speeds I get an easy mid to upper 50mpg (US) but this falls dramatically when out on the expressway. If you're riding that 80mph stretch of highway in Texas then I'd expect to see the mileage drop down into the 30s, at least by the display.
Here's a pic from the way home last year:

When I bought mine, AF1 had a special going on the grey ones, they knocked $800 off the price and threw in the 3 pieces of luggage from the Adventure model for free. At the time I wasn't too keen on the grey as I liked the red/white model but since then my tastes have changed and I find I much prefer the toned-down look.

I've left the bike mostly stock as it works very well for me as-is. I swapped out the front turn signals for the Euro ones, as standard the US signals come with these long spacers which made the signals sort of droop and wobble. It was going to be a pain to get the spacers out anyway so I felt my money was well spent on some better looking items while I was up there. I added some crash bars with auxiliary lights mounted to them for better visibility, a front fender from Pyramid to keep stuff from getting kicked up on the front of the engine, and one of those mesh seat covers that seem to be very popular (they are so inexpensive!) I did get peer pressured into popping for a tubeless rear wheel, I didn't get the set because I think the front is so much less likely to suffer a puncture and money is not that easy to come by.

For me it makes the right amount of power, some people want more. The seat height is right where I like it and the riding position is what I've been looking for. The engine runs out well and, after dealing with my Versys-X, I appreciate the air cooling and easy maintenance. I used to make fun of my buddy who put cruise on everything he had, including his KLR, but now I completely get it and love the cruise for highway riding.

Downsides for me, the headlight looks amazing but doesn't throw a ton of light down the road. This is my first small block Guzzi, I don't mind the oil filter but am disappointed that it's only available from Guzzi, and it is not inexpensive. The stupid maintenance reminder light which has to go to the dealer to be reset. I know some people can ignore it but I cannot. I guess I'm lucky that I have a local dealer who I can support with $50 to turn it off every 6000 miles. And that's about it.

Once more picture from a more recent trip out to the Cochise Stronghold, just a day ride to get out of the house a couple of months ago:

Back