• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Owner: Non-Runner

Thomas Langman

Just got it firing!
Hi All-

I am not only new to this forum, but also new the world of Moto Guzzi motorcycles. I have owed dozens of bikes over the years, but finally purchase my first Italian bike, that being a 2007 Norge. I am already struggling with it.

Long story short, I purchase the bike from a good friend, who in turn bought it from another friend. My friend never put many miles on it, decided he preferred his Harley. He did start and run the bike regularly over the past few months to keep it functioning properly.

Upon delivery to me this week an attempt was made to start the bike, but I was greeted with what I have learned is the “triangle of death” service light, and of course the bike will not start. Of course, no owners manual to reference.

From what I have learned during the short time I have been on this forum, it appears that the Norge has two codes that need to be manually entered when stated on the dash; a “user” code and a “service” code.

Is it correct to assume that a service code is needed first before I would be able to determine what other codes may be displayed that would indicate additional issues?

This all seems rather odd, since the bike started and was run the day it was shipped to me. Two days later, a service code. Hope it wasn’t affected by the change in zip codes. Lol.

I am planning to find and purchase an owners manual, but am hoping to gain some insight in the possible cause and solution to this issue. I’m assuming this is pretty straightforward for most of you familiar with these bikes, but frustrating to those of us who have not faced these type of electronic problems before.

BTW- VIN is 11297_ , so assuming well last the failed oil pump issue. Fingers crossed nothing major there.

Thanks in advance..!

Tom

Start by making sure the battery is good. Have it load tested. The service code is used to get to the diagnostics menu. If yu can, the first owner set the user code. You will need that if you have any ignition key issues. Manuals are available on this site for you bike. Just upgrade your account. see https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-account-upgrade-donations.14025/ And you want to make sure this has been corrected. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/modern-no-start-issue-solution.4908/ the MPH kit is the easiest way to go if it hasn't been done. Service codes are here https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/service-codes.917/.

Once you have upgraded your account the Breva Service manual is in the downloads Which will tell you what the codes relate to and a few other things such as adding keys. Also there is a schematic for you bike in the wiring section of the Downloads.

If he purchased two new keys, make sure you get the security code he must have set when he programmed one, otherwise you will find it difficult to program the other, assuming this is your problem of course.

By the way, the service code to get into the diagnostic menu is 28315.

I’ve written extensively on this but I’ll summarize.

Moto Guzzi motorcycles do not like marginal battery and voltage conditions.

99% of all the starting and ECU error issues I have seen are the result of poor quality old batteries.

Reading the surface voltage across the battery terminals does not tell you the condition of the battery. Only a “load test” will, which can be obtained for free at most major auto parts stores.

The best thing you can do for your Moto Guzzi motorcycle is to install a new battery and makes sure it has a battery tender pigtail plug connected to the battery. Use a charger that is 4A or better (I have had excellent luck with Battery Tender brand products and I own 10 of these exact chargers in my shop and highly recommend them).

C729AF85 CF93 4ACA BB04 5F261F25FC8C

Keep the motorcycle plugged in all the time when not riding. The properly maintained battery will last many years doing this and provide many happy care-free miles of riding.

The literal disappearance of dash errors and starting issues and the subsequent peace of mind afforded by doing this now, is simply priceless.

Last edited:
Scott, agree with you except for leaving plugged in when not riding. I can go into a long reason, but 24 hours once a month works better for battery life.

Back