• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Checking oil level: the finer points of dipping

Midnite

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I now have just over 7000 miles on my 2016 V7ii, and after adding a number of Todd's fine upgrades (suspension, reflash, 2:1 exhaust and a few other odds and ends), am very happy with how she rides. After reading and re-reading what seems like dozens of threads about correct oil fill amount (I've settled on about 1.6 liters), and best practice for checking engine oil level, I still find myself wondering about the particulars of getting an accurate reading using the factory dipstick. I've been in the habit of checking when warm, after riding, and hold the bike upright etc. as the factory manual states, but find that I get significantly different readings depending on how exactly I 'dip'. If I insert the dipstick until the cap rests flush with the opening of the oil cap receptacle (1), and centered in the hole, the oil level barely registers (small amount on the bottom of the dipstick). If I insert the dipstick tipped up slightly, so that the dipstick enters as vertically as possible (2), oil is solidly in the hashmark area. If the latter method is accurate, the engine should be happy, but if the former is more accurate, I'm worried that oil is low and may cause damage or at least reduce engine life. OIl light has not come on yet.

Wondering if any well-informed Guzzisti would be kind enough to shed light on what the most accurate method is for inserting the dipstick in order to obtain the most accurate/consistent reading.

Thank you kindly for any insight you can provide!

Attachments

• oil dipstick angle.jpg
    oil dipstick angle.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
My bike is V7II I run 1.6ltrs in mine and check oil with dipstick screwed all the way in.
Thanks for the feedback. It seems that there are as many ways to check oil as there are owners of Guzzi. When you check oil with the dipstick screwed in, do you hold it upright, and where does it register on the stick?

2013 V7, I'm pretty sure the manual states the dipstick is NOT to be threaded when checking.

2013 V7, I'm pretty sure the manual states the dipstick is NOT to be threaded when checking.
Agreed. As has been stated in many threads like this one, the manual "clearly" states that it is to be dipped, not screwed in, with the oil hot and the bike upright. I am seeking clarification about the exact method of dipping in order to get an accurate reading (see pic above) since I find that I get significantly different readings depending on how I dip.

Oh I see, nope never tried Number 2, always just do #1.
Thanks TonUP. That’s what I’ve been doing, but recently the oil level has settled below the low mark when I’ve checked this way (1)... but the bike seems happy. Just want to make sure I’m not doing damage.

What fill amount do you use, and where on the stick does the level settle?

Mine reads at maximum with stick all the way in bike held up right.
You will get a bit different readings on the dip stick sometimes?
It would have been great if Guzzi could have put the dip stick on the other side of the engine.

The V7 III clearly states in the manual to screw it in fully...

THE ENGINE'S OIL LEVEL CHECK MUST BE REALIZED WITH THE ENGINE HOT
OR AFTER RUNNING FOR ABOUT 15 km (9.32 mi), OUT OF TOWN (ENOUGH
TO WARM UP ENGINE OIL).

· Shut off the engine.
· Keep the vehicle upright with both wheels on the ground.
· Unscrew and remove the filler plug / oil dipstick, and wipe it clean.
· Fit the oil filler plug / oil dipstick and tighten fully.
· Unscrew and remove the filler plug / oil dipstick and check that the oil level
is correct.
'MAX' = maximum level.
'MIN' = minimum level.
The difference between 'MAX' and 'MIN' marks is approx. 400 cm³ (24.41 cu.in)
· The oil level is correct when it is close to the 'MAX' mark.

Well there you go, for V7 III in for V7 out. I'm an outty. As for level, I run it between the Min and Max, I don't have specific measure I just add to when it gets close and leave it and check periodically.

Didn't know that about the iii. Interesting. I'm still about as clear as mud on my end as to what exact method is most accurate for dipping for the V7ii, so I guess I'll just go with the one that gives me the reading I like (similar to 2 in illustration above) since the engine seems happy. Thanks all for chiming in!

Mine reads at maximum with stick all the way in bike held up right.
You will get a bit different readings on the dip stick sometimes?
It would have been great if Guzzi could have put the dip stick on the other side of the engine.
I get different readings depending on how I insert the dipstick, but the reading is consistent if I use the same method. My bike seems to spit oil from the sump for a bit even if I start with a mere 1.6 Liters, but eventually stops spitting and settles in, which is where I am now 2000 miles after an oil change.

One thing I noticed is that once I went to a sports air filter "Sprint Filter" that the oil I used to get in the air box was more like a film of oil on the bottom of the air box not pooled like it used to be.
I can run my finger around the throttle body inlet and there is no oil residue at all but It used to with stock filter.
One thing I did also when I first got the bike and found oil in the air box was I removed one of those clear plug things on the air box the one behind the left side cover and ran a clear hose plugged of at the bottom down the left side of my bike so I could see if there was any oil getting in the air box plus it drains off any oil so you don't end up with oil pooling in the air box.
Anyhow I think what must be happening is that with a more free flowing air filter there is less vacuum in the air box so the engine is pulling more air and less draw on the
pollution system.

I get different readings depending on how I insert the dipstick, but the reading is consistent if I use the same method. My bike seems to spit oil from the sump for a bit even if I start with a mere 1.6 Liters, but eventually stops spitting and settles in, which is where I am now 2000 miles after an oil change.
this is my same experience, it also sobbed a little from my right cylinder head's retaining bolts

It's such a stupid system, no wonder there is confusion. My 2013 V7Racer says Warm the motor and that dipstick should be inserted BUT NOT SCREWED IN. No mention of holding the bike vertical. Its so easy to get a huge variety of readings from such a basic and important task. The V7's don't come with a center stand and the motors are quite similar across the range. You'd think that the dipstick couldve been designed to read screwed in and on side stand. That would remove any confusion. The best solution IMHO is to change the oil and filter regularly and just use the recommended amount of oil - 2 L. in my case

· Shut off the engine.
· Keep the vehicle upright with both wheels on the ground.
· Unscrew and remove the filler plug / oil dipstick, and wipe it clean.
· Fit the oil filler plug / oil dipstick and tighten fully.
· Unscrew and remove the filler plug / oil dipstick and check that the oil level
is correct.
'MAX' = maximum level.
'MIN' = minimum level.
The difference between 'MAX' and 'MIN' marks is approx. 400 cm³ (24.41 cu.in)
· The oil level is correct when it is close to the 'MAX' mark.

So this seems interesting to me.
I understand that filling an engine above the MAX value can lead to issues, typically excessive splash, getting oil in areas not intended. More case vent discharge, and possibly seal blow-by.
Likewise filling an engine below the minimum level can lead to oil pump scavenging issues, along with diminished cooling (if oil is used in that capacity).

I have always worked under the premise that the perfect place to run the oil level is halfway between the MIN and MAX level markers.
Unless im running something British, as they leak such that excess oil is a safety net...

not disputing what MotoGuzzi has recommended, just wondering why they ask to put the level near the MAX and not mid-range ??

Dale, I suggest you go and read from the top post down, then crack open a good bottle of bourbon and forget about oil. Every owner's manual and every owner says something different. The only thing known for sure is if you high mark it you will fill the airbox.
i did read the entire thread.... and i LOVE the bourbon idea... and yes im going to be a mid level rider...

The best solution IMHO is to change the oil and filter regularly and just use the recommended amount of oil - 2 L. in my case

[Sorry for what seems to be font insanity. I did not (intentionally) make that happen?]

I read it all, too, except vagrant's, as he drinks cheap bourbon unless visiting me :giggle:

Seriously, I don't think that the OP has been here for some months. But I sure think that profaen stuck it, above.

I have two V7's, a Stornello (a II) and a III. Always easily confused with such things, and with conflicting guidance in OM's v. SM's v. navels, and the like, I worried about this when I ran out of other things to worry about and sometimes even before that. :rofl:

Then, after having found the air boxes on my various Guzzis occasionally awash with oil, I finally came to the realization that using profaen's method -- i.e., fill the engine at oil-change time with the right amount oil -- is the answer.

Yes, that's another thread, and another "it depends," as I have Todd's sump extender on my Stornello.

But, by checking the dipstick oil along the way -- and this makes whether the machine is "straight up" or on its side stand -- you then know what's "halfway" on the dipstick for the right amount of oil. Naturally, the trick is to remember! ;)

Sadly but predictably, I have not yet been smart enough to record that on my cell phone, on a chart in the Moto Grappa, or in a maintenance record. Doh. :banghead:

As no oil changes are due for a bit on any of moto-harem's denizen's, I have a note -- IN ALLCAPS! -- on my box of 10w60 oil so that I do as I say next time.

1921 - 2021!

Bill

Last edited:
Back