• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Disappointed

Oldman

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Well this is a bit of a rant, so appologies. I am a new v7iii owner but before this gets moved my rant is non model specific. I currently own a Desert Sled alongside the MG and wanted a long legged bike that was reliable and fun to ride. I am just coming up on the first service and planning a trip to Morocco when restrictions ease and in my reading came across the exploding fuel filter. So, if the comments are true, this can be a disabling fault that 'blows' at any time and cannot be easily inspected. What has upset me, again if numerous posts are to be believed, the filter is specified by the manufacturer as for diesel use and non imersion. So what on earth prompted MG to use it for petrol and immersed in the tank? As I said, very disappointed. So I will source the correct filter and, no doubt, invalidate my warranty by fitting the part that MG should have used in many models in the first place. Rant over, sorry.

I have done my share of ranting here and elsewhere about various things, so I recognize the therapeutic value of such emoting.

Now, on the merits, while this plaint is worthy of annoyance, and is probably more likely than an asteroid wiping out the planet, neither do I think it a major issue.

I am not mocking those few who have experienced such a failure, but for several reasons neither do I think this is the end of Western Civilization. The numbers of folks so affected is unknown to me, but the anecdotal evidence I have seen leads me to think that -- while no doubt painful for the victims -- not many.

I am also of the belief -- with nothing more than casual understanding underpinning that -- that the failures have mostly occurred with machines that regularly (NPI) used fuel laced with nasty ethanol, as is often the only kind available here in the U.S.

Now, all of that said, if I were -- and I'm not, darn it -- planning a trip to Morocco (especially if solo!), I'd probably fix this before launching.

BTW, never been there, but my dad loved North Africa in 1943 even when he was being shot at! :eek: Enchanted by his stories, I have thought now and then about visiting myself. A more learned friend than I is leading a "staff ride" in September of the North Africa campaign, and I am tempted to do that, regrettably not on two wheels.

Back to the merits. Know, too, that I removed that same OEM filter from my Stornello. OK, confession: I had the dealer remove it, as posts here and elsewhere reminded me how I was never very good at solving those interlocking metal ring puzzles. And, while I am mindful that US and EU, etc, warranties may differ, that the dealer did mine -- with a BMW all-metal one -- illustrates that such is unlikely to imperil your warranty. If that had been this time of year, when all of my Guzzis get lift time because the winter keeps them indoors, I'd have tried it myself.

OK, well into TLDR territory, I'll (finally :giggle:) end this rant response. :clap:

Best,

Bill

Last edited:
If you look in the gas tank with a flashlight (don't use a lighter;)) you should be able to see the fuel filter and whether it is all metal or a notorious half metal bastard.

The lighter comment came to mind because a local guy couldn't find his cell phone one night and opened the trunk of his car and lit his lighter to have a look. An explosion burned off his eye lashes, eye brows and burned his face and hands slightly. He forgot he had a couple of gas jugs in the trunk and they had leaked. He said he usually uses his cell phone as a flashlight but was looking for it when the accident happened. He gets a Darwin Award for sure.

Last edited:
what year is it? some 2018 had metal and 19+ sure should. 17 and down just change it. If you have a warranty issue no dealer will ever go looking for a gas filter issue. you'll be lucky if they fix it at all.

what year is it? some 2018 had metal and 19+ sure should. 17 and down just change it. If you have a warranty issue no dealer will ever go looking for a gas filter issue. you'll be lucky if they fix it at all.

FWIW, and I should have added, I specifically asked for that swap, brought in my own beemer all-metal filter, and paid for the labor (which wasn't much).

Again, however, this was a Guzzi dealer and no warranty-voiding issue (in the U.S., anyway).

Bill

It’s not terribly difficult to change out. Frustrating at times, but do-able for a hobbyist mechanic. This is what comes from making food into fuel for machines...

Changing out a fuel filter will never void a warranty. You are making mountain out of a molehill.

Look in the tank with the flashlight as previously instructed, and determine if you even have the hybrid filter. If you do, get an all metal replacement and swap it out. It's not brain surgery. If you are not wrench inclined, pay for the peace of mind to have it swapped out.

Easy fix.

Changing out a fuel filter will never void a warranty. You are making mountain out of a molehill.

Look in the tank with the flashlight as previously instructed, and determine if you even have the hybrid filter. If you do, get an all metal replacement and swap it out. It's not brain surgery. If you are not wrench inclined, pay for the peace of mind to have it swapped out.

Easy fix.
Thanks for the post. I am sure it is not brain surgery but frankly I am worried by the quick connect plastic fuel clips. I will have to do it myself though, I live in Spain and there is only one Moto Guzzi garage within three hours of here and they have already told me that swapping for a non-Guzzi filter would void the warranty. It is all very well to tell them it won't but doesn't the agent end up as judge and jury if there is a warranty dispute? I do certainly think though that changing it out is the right and prudent thing to do and the chance is miniscule that it will end up voiding anything so long as I don't actually ask the agent to do it.

I am a lawyer, but I don't give legal advice outside of my jurisdictional limits or expertise.

While I share the view that it is unlikely that R&R'ing a fuel filter would void a warranty, that would seem to be based, I would think, pretty much on our own experiences in the U.S. and Canada.

I think it nonetheless quite possible that the legal rules and practices in the EU, and maybe even Spain, might be different and, regrettably for the OP, more biased for the company than the consumer.

Might not be, but none of us really knows.

Member and frequent poster here, Robert Gibson, lives in Menorca, Spain. He hasn't chimed in and may be unaware of the thread or Oldman's plight. If I were the OP, I'd PM Robert, Lord Gibson, and see if he hasn't country-specific insights.

If that fails, I'd pursue with the regional, country, or EU distributor for a definitive answer. Not sure how fluent Oldman is in the Spanish language, but there may very well be a Spainish Guzzi forum with lots of informed knowledge on this issue.

Oh, FWIW, I just removed the cap on my III and looked in with a flashlight. I could not see any part of the filter.

Bill

Bill has a point. I am completely unfamiliar with EU laws. Normally, as long as the replaced part is of comparable quality and design, the manufacturer cannot void a warranty but again, that is here in the USA.

Perhaps an email to Piaggio/Moto Guzzi Customer Service or Technical Support, explaining your concern and proposed remedy, would be warranted for peace of mind. Get an answer from the company and you will know for sure.

Good Luck!

Hello and thanks again for the replies.
I have, of course, had a look with a torch in my gas tank and can see nothing at all of the filter. There are at least two threads on this forum and this https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/approved-v7-iii-fuel-filter.18343/
has a post of the email reply from MG about fitting an upgraded filter and their view on impact on warranty. My original post was indeed a rant about the filter manufacturer saying the part was for non immersion use with diesel so why on earth did MG think it a good idea to immerse it in gasoline? I will take off the tank, see what is in there and if required fit the all metal filter .....unless I can borrow a scope. Thanks again guys for the advice.

I have written several post on the fuel disconnects. There are even 2 videos on YouTube of me showing how they work on the Stelvio.

You may wish to take a look. It’s not as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to utilize technique and finesse and not brute strength. If you are forcing it, STOP because you are doing it wrong.

Here:

Read all my posts on the last page and you will understand everything about the fuel connector.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...er-removal-detailed-with-pictures.9202/page-4

Last edited:
I have written several post on the fuel disconnects. There are even 2 videos on YouTube of me showing how they work on the Stelvio.

You may wish to take a look. It’s not as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to utilize technique and finesse and not brute strength. If you are forcing it, STOP because you are doing it wrong.

Here:

Read all my posts on the last page and you will understand everything about the fuel connector.

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/th...er-removal-detailed-with-pictures.9202/page-4
Thanks I will gird myself, do the research and not strain anything!

I don’t think there’s a problem here. I live in UK and asked a Moto Guzzi dealer this question:

Message: Hi, I want to replace the fuel filters on my 2011 Norge 8V and also 2011 V7 Racer. Could you confirm that the part number is GU01106090 please? VIN numbers are ZGULPS013BM111549 AND ZGULWB003BM1009

Answer: Hi David, thanks for contacting us. I can confirm that part number is correct for both bikes/frame numbers provided.

if you ask an MG dealer/service centre to use a genuine part which is metal (improved) then how can it invalidate a warranty?

Last edited:
I think you may well find the fuel filter fitted is the Mahle KL145 all metal one. This is now specified on all new models by Moto Guzzi, and should have been right from the start.
When I first heard of this problem I contacted Mahle in the UK. They told me that the KL150 half plastic filter was made for use with diesel fuel and should never be immersed in petrol/gasolene. They very kindly sent me two KL145 filters free of charge.

I am a lawyer, but I don't give legal advice outside of my jurisdictional limits or expertise.

While I share the view that it is unlikely that R&R'ing a fuel filter would void a warranty, that would seem to be based, I would think, pretty much on our own experiences in the U.S. and Canada.

I think it nonetheless quite possible that the legal rules and practices in the EU, and maybe even Spain, might be different and, regrettably for the OP, more biased for the company than the consumer.

Might not be, but none of us really knows.

Member and frequent poster here, Robert Gibson, lives in Menorca, Spain. He hasn't chimed in and may be unaware of the thread or Oldman's plight. If I were the OP, I'd PM Robert, Lord Gibson, and see if he hasn't country-specific insights.

If that fails, I'd pursue with the regional, country, or EU distributor for a definitive answer. Not sure how fluent Oldman is in the Spanish language, but there may very well be a Spainish Guzzi forum with lots of informed knowledge on this issue.

Oh, FWIW, I just removed the cap on my III and looked in with a flashlight. I could not see any part of the filter.

Bill
Many thanks for the mention Bill, unfortunately not yet been blessed with a peerage. :giggle:
Fortunately I have a very good rapport with my dealer. Should that not be the case I would speak with MG Spain direct or alternatively Piaggio customer services.
Also may be worth asking the question on Guzzistasmforos.com (Spanish Guzzi forum).

Back