• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Racer with riser bars

That’s makes sense. I was thinking that they looked surprisingly normal for aftermarket, but now I see they are just a transplant from a family member.
haha yes that s right, and the 'transplant' was quite easy

Ha, looks funny with both sets mounted.
Do you have to take the TT off or could you loosen both trees and slide the forks down enough to get the clip on’s off then slide the forks up, tighten the trees and you’re golden .

Sorry for late reply, not come on here that much any more.

You would need to lift the front end and remove the front wheel and fender to do the fork slide down approach ... seems easier to me to take the top triple clamp off.

You don’t need to take anything off,
Loosen the TT clamping bolts and slowly raise the front of the bike as you carefully slide the forks down far enough to remove the clip on’s., then very carefully lower the bike lining up the forks as you do.
Using a scissor jack will allow you to lower the bike as slowly as you need to as you line up the forks for reassembly.

Loosen the TT clamping bolts and slowly raise the front of the bike as you carefully slide the forks down far enough to remove the clip on’s., then very carefully lower the bike lining up the forks as you do.
Using a scissor jack will allow you to lower the bike as slowly as you need to as you line up the forks for reassembly.

So ... when the fork tubes come out of the top triple clamp, and are only supported/held by the lower triple clamps with loosened bolts, and the entire front wheel is putting bendy pressure on the lower clamp ... no worries? and you gotta expose several inches to get those stock clip-ons out, say maybe 4" the top of the fork has to go down below the top triple clamp ... and then when you go back up (so you would be lowering your scissor jack at that point), no worries lining the fork tubes back up into the top triple clamp again?

It is certainly one approach ... just seems like a real pain to me.

Pulling the top triple clamp was easy peasy ... and it was a good time to check the steering freeplay. And if you don't want to mess with that, all those tightening bolts are under the top triple clamp ... so you can just pull off the top triple clamp and put it back on, nothing gets out of sorts.

Do you know if clip-ons from racer can be removed and replaced without dropping forks down?
Thanks. Chris

haha yes that s right, and the 'transplant' was quite easy
I am new here. Can you please tell what needs to be changed to change clip ons from a Racer to Stone upright bars?
I know I need a new riser and bars of course, maybe clutch cable.
Do the rear pegs need to be changed??
Thanks in advance.

Chris

I am new here. Can you please tell what needs to be changed to change clip ons from a Racer to Stone upright bars?
Thanks in advance.

Chris

The clutch cable needs to change ( based on other posts ) I don’t know what else.
I’d be interested in a swap, your Way closer than Malta or LA !
Ottawa to Hartford was still a fair trip ;)

Don

I love the racer but cannot do the bar position anymore due to my old broken back. I love this! May have to acquire a V7 in the Spring. LOL. What’s one more eh?

You need quite a few parts to go to the bars for the Stone vs the Racer clip-on bars, take a look on a parts graphic, you can see the bits you need. You do need to drop the forks on the Racer to remove the clip-ons.
I went the other route on my V7, and swapped the Stone set up to the Racer, am probably going to revert back once I find all the parts I removed.
The Racer has these shorter parts: front brake line, accelerator cables, clutch cable.
The Stone requires rubber mounts for the bar risers and the bar risers plus washers/bolts etc and obviously longer cables and hoses to the Racer

Thanks in advance.

Chris
If you go from Racer clip ons to the bars I did, it is much easier than going all the way to Stone upright bars. Going all the way to the Stone bars would most likely require:
- longer front brake hose
- Stone clutch cable
- Stone throttle cables
- All electrical switch gear from the stone (or make up wire extensions)

You can leave the Racer rear pegs as-is but the ergos might be a bit odd. Switching the Racer pegs to Stones is just too crazy expensive ... be best to sell the Racer and buy a Stone. :)

The bar I switched to made a dramatic improvement to riding comfort for me. And even the stock Racer clutch cable is long enough.

I have one set of risers in stock currently due to all of the back-order cancellations. In fact my shelves are now full of parts that have finally started to arrive from as far back as May 2021. Ugh.

If you do not want to drop the forks down you will need to pull off the top triple clamp. That is the way I did it.
Thanks
If you go from Racer clip ons to the bars I did, it is much easier than going all the way to Stone upright bars. Going all the way to the Stone bars would most likely require:
- longer front brake hose
- Stone clutch cable
- Stone throttle cables
- All electrical switch gear from the stone (or make up wire extensions)

You can leave the Racer rear pegs as-is but the ergos might be a bit odd. Switching the Racer pegs to Stones is just too crazy expensive ... be best to sell the Racer and buy a Stone. :)

The bar I switched to made a dramatic improvement to riding comfort for me. And even the stock Racer clutch cable is long enough.
Thanks for the info. What exactly is the bar that you went to? Is it available at the Guzzi Tech store? Thanks. Chris

Dropping the forks is Very simple - I did them one at a time to change the oil when I did the Matris kit.

If you have a way to support and control the height of the front it’s easy ?
You would just be dropping the enough to slide the “clip on’s” off.

Back