• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Multimedia Platform (MG-MP) - review

Hydrolastic

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
So I got the latest edition of the MG-MP module installed and operating on my 2017 California Touring. After using it for a bit, I have made the following observations, for those who might still be considering it:

• When you order the MG-MP module for the Euro 4 California, it ships as just the module, with no instructions. I ended up putting some scrap rubber strips on the back and zip-tying it to the frame on the left side of the battery. Other bikes have brackets that make installation more straightforward.
  • Pairing the app with the module can be tricky. Again, no instructions. I recommend doing a search for MG-MP and MGX-21 to find some tips that might help. I ended up having it prompt for a pass code, which I entered "0000", and that worked.
  • The Android app cuts off the lower part of the display on my Note 10+ (see attached photos for comparison between the image in the manual and my display). I doubt that will be fixed, since the app was last updated in December 2018.
  • The app has to be running in the foreground for data logging to work. As soon as you hit the home button to attend to anything else, like music or GPS, logging shuts off, even though the app gives no warning and appears to continue functioning when you bring it back.
  • The app is landscape only, so you will have to set your phone mount accordingly.
  • The app uses your phone battery at the same rate as using your GPS app, because it tracks your position for the "Find My Bike" feature, data logging, etc., and has the screen on.
My conclusion - Todd put it well when he said "it's an odd distraction for most". I thought it might be neat to check some things on the fly, and use the data logging to review rides and such later. I was able to validate that I can generate 0.5g in wet braking before ABS kicks in, which, while only as accurate as the accelerometer in your phone, is kind of cool. Otherwise, I consider it to be a bust. The fact that the app has to be running in the foreground for data logging to work eliminates almost any usefulness I would have for regular use. I'm not up for dedicating my phone solely to that function during a ride. I don't really see much development happening with the app capabilities with the new MIA app being the one for newer bikes like the V85TT. I think there is more they could do with the setup, but until they do, I consider it to be not worth the money or effort. As with anything, YMMV.

Dave

Screenshot MG MP Manual

Screenshot MG MP

Thanks for the review / update, it sounded kind of interesting for the geeky type, but the novelty would wear off quickly.

There’s more money that’ll stay in my pocket;)

When used on the V85 with a destination entered, the next two turns are shown on the screen with a countdown (in distance) for each. Instructions are given to your helmet if it connected via bluetooth (or cable I suppose) to the bike.

I have it installed on my V85, but I use it only occasionally. When I get lost I just call up Google maps on my phone and just follow the audio prompt in the helmet speakers. Not interested in looking at a screen, I prefer to keep my eyes on the road ahead.

When used on the V85 with a destination entered, the next two turns are shown on the screen with a countdown (in distance) for each. Instructions are given to your helmet if it connected via bluetooth (or cable I suppose) to the bike.

I have it installed on my V85, but I use it only occasionally. When I get lost I just call up Google maps on my phone and just follow the audio prompt in the helmet speakers. Not interested in looking at a screen, I prefer to keep my eyes on the road ahead.

The V85 uses a different app, and is more tightly integrated with the dash. I would probably get more use out of the V85 setup.

Dave

You DID give permission for the app to work in the background? Android is a bit tricky sometimes with apps working in the background, so it might not be the MG app's fault at all.

You DID give permission for the app to work in the background? Android is a bit tricky sometimes with apps working in the background, so it might not be the MG app's fault at all.

Yes, "Allow background activity" is on.

Back