• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

What are the differences from the 16's to 17's?

Longshot

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi folks, I'm looking to buy a new (or possibly low mile) 1400 series eldorado. I currently have (and keeping) a 2017 mgx21.
I was originally planning on buying a 17 or newer eldorado since there are some changes from the 16 year and the controls would remain identical to what I'm used to on my mgx, but I'm seeing some brand new 16's available still and the price is a little lower than the 2020's.
What are the differences from 16 to 17?
From what I can see so far is that the cruise button is on the rh side of the bars on the 16, and if I'm understanding correctly from searches here is that it is basically just a throttle lock vs a actual cruise that maintains the speed like on the 17 and up bikes.
The other thing I've read here is that I can buy guzzi plug and play heated grips for the 16's, but they are not available for 17 and up, and would have to buy aftermarket grips and modify.
I've looked close at pictures and videos on the web but I'm not seeing anymore differances.
Is there anymore I'm missing?
Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, all 1400's have a genuine electronic cruise contol as the throttle is "ride by wire" even though throttle cables are present on earlier models (that set up gave a lot of problem with the throttle demand sensor - search for P0155 demand sensor posts on this site, so they changed it for 2017 ).

I have a 2016 Audace with the CC on the rhs. It has a single button to set cruise speed, not a mechanical throttle lock. Once set the throttle will return to the idle position and bike will maintain a set speed. There is however no "resume" feature or any means to add/subtract speed in small increments

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Paul!
I stand corrected on the16s cruise control now, and I'm totally fine with its function.
I did just search for a couple threads on the PO155 code and it looks like I would just need to have a replacement sensor on hand after my warranty expires? Certainly not a deal breaker, good to know. I'll read more of those threads this evening.
I also just read that the 16s are tubeless spokes, but the 17 and up are not tubeless?
And thanks for all input. I am planning on buying shortly after March 1st

Good to know moto uno.
I misread that on the last page of the custom back rest for the eldorado sticky in this section. A comment said that the 16's have tubeless but didn't say that they changed that for 17 and up, so that's my error.
Speaking of that thread it looks like there's only one of those backrest left so I hope its still available should I decide to get it. Ive been reading lots on the seat situation for the eldo. I will most likely be needing a passenger backrest and I dont mind switching to a cali seat but I really don't care for the design of the curved seat bar how it would look on the eldo (looks fine on the cali). And the hepco uses the same style. Im fine with the seat on my mgx so I'm sure I'll be fine with the stock seat on the eldorado

The seat for the passenger was the first thing to go on my Eldorado , too skinny and not very thick . I tried my hand
at making one for her and then did the same for myself . Had an old backrest from an HD that I fitted for her also , we
put many comfy miles on with these mods . You can see them on pic #422 of the 1400 registry forum here . Peter

Very nice Peter! I may reconsider once I get mine and evaluate. I'm just assuming the stock seats will be fine since the mgx21 seats are fine for me and the passenger isn't complaining. The mgx21 passenger seat looks to be even smaller and thinner than the eldorado so she might end up really liking it and want me to change the mgx21 lol!

Hmmm... My 2014 1400 Custom's Cruise Control (when it's working) maintains speed via the speedometer (+-6mph or so), and is totally transparent to me until I disengage it. IOW, I start climbing a big hill, throttle is increased without any feeling at the handlebar. Biggest problem for me is it disengages itself randomly. Anyway, it's in no way a mechanical cruise control, and AFAIK never has been. That source of your's for info is at least a little suspect... ;-)

Hmmm... My 2014 1400 Custom's Cruise Control (when it's working) maintains speed via the speedometer (+-6mph or so), and is totally transparent to me until I disengage it. IOW, I start climbing a big hill, throttle is increased without any feeling at the handlebar. Biggest problem for me is it disengages itself randomly. Anyway, it's in no way a mechanical cruise control, and AFAIK never has been. That source of your's for info is at least a little suspect... ;-)

I was watching a YouTube review and the guy doing the review made a comment about how it worked and either he was confused or how he explained it was confusing, lol. But because the 16's are just a single switch vs the 17's and up have multifunction switches (like my mgx)...made me think maybe the 16's are just a "hold the throttle at just that speed" type of deal. So now my understanding is that the 16's do maintain the speed they are set at, vs the 17's and up that you can also bump the desired speed up or down with the multifunction switch, just like in a car

I bought a 2016 ELDO new a couple years back no regrets I paid $12500 out the door CA prices. No idea what they are going for now it's a great bike. I do not have the backrest or luggage rack. If budget allows I did purchase Todd's exhaust and fuel pack. Huge difference in power it. It would be nice to be able to fine tune the CC but it is ok as for me.

I have a feeling I will be doing Todd's fueling upgrade. I installed one of those inline air temp tuners on my mgx before removing the baffles. It did make the throttle more responsive and less jerky. And Im aware that is not the best way to get better fueling vs a power commander tuner. Its just that I'm happy with how the bike performs so I haven't been motivated to spend the cash for optimum performance yet.
I have been searching far and wide on the internet to find a much cheaper option than the mg factory eldorado accessory bags, but havent yet found anything I like better looks wise. I absolutely love the look of those mg bags, but the cheapest I've found them are around $2600 for the bags and mounting kit. There isn't anybody here with a super nice set they want to part with is there? Lol

I have a feeling I will be doing Todd's fueling upgrade. I installed one of those inline air temp tuners on my mgx before removing the baffles. It did make the throttle more responsive and less jerky. And Im aware that is not the best way to get better fueling vs a power commander tuner. Its just that I'm happy with how the bike performs so I haven't been motivated to spend the cash for optimum performance yet.
I have been searching far and wide on the internet to find a much cheaper option than the mg factory eldorado accessory bags, but havent yet found anything I like better looks wise. I absolutely love the look of those mg bags, but the cheapest I've found them are around $2600 for the bags and mounting kit. There isn't anybody here with a super nice set they want to part with is there? Lol

I was fishing around on Ebay and found the left bag for $150 but didn't buy it, next night I found the right side bag from a different seller in another state for $400, snatched them both up. Both were brand new, perfect. Bought the mounting brackets from my local dealer. Talk about being lucky.

I was fishing around on Ebay and found the left bag for $150 but didn't buy it, next night I found the right side bag from a different seller in another state for $400, snatched them both up. Both were brand new, perfect. Bought the mounting brackets from my local dealer. Talk about being lucky.

Lucky indeed! That would definitely be the ideal situation for me lol.
I did find these bags on ebay. I would be ok with them I think. I wonder if the bags would fit if I bought the eldorado brackets from guzzi?

ebay.com/itm/333862676356

I did find these bags on ebay. I would be ok with them I think. I wonder if the bags would fit if I bought the eldorado brackets from guzzi?

Check Meldrews posts regarding bags, the H&B buffalo bags and C-Bow mounts are a great looking option (available from Todd), also he is the only supplier (as far as I’m aware) of a stand alone passenger backrest for the Eldo.

Not sure if the Guzzi brackets would work but if you like, I can take some photos of my brackets today. BTW, I have Todds backrest, very nice fabrication and looks much like the one Guzzi designed but didn't make.

Check Meldrews posts regarding bags, the H&B buffalo bags and C-Bow mounts are a great looking option (available from Todd), also he is the only supplier (as far as I’m aware) of a stand alone passenger backrest for the Eldo.

If I end up staying with the eldo seat and not convert to the California I will most likely be getting that backrest. Looks very nicely made for sure

Not sure if the Guzzi brackets would work but if you like, I can take some photos of my brackets today. BTW, I have Todds backrest, very nice fabrication and looks much like the one Guzzi designed but didn't make.

Thank you sir I may very well end up asking you to do that if its not a problem. I guess I better get the bike first then I'll hone in on deciding the saddlebag situation. Personally I'd rather have no bags at all because I think the bike looks beautiful without them, but like alot of folks having the ability to carry some things is a must

btw thanks everybody for the replies. I did a short introductory thread the other day but didn't post a picture of my current guzzi.
I am blessed to own a handful of bikes. Have been mostly into sport bikes all my life. Been riding Indians for the last 20 years, never owned or rode a harley. Never owned or rode a guzzi till 3 years ago I saw the mgx21 and had to have it. With the exception of my 2018 Honda NM4, the mgx was my first "bagger", also my first bike with a stereo, and ultimately thats been the only dissapointment about the bike really, the speakers (or maybe the amp?)aren't worth a damn, lol! I did do some research on this forum and one or two others before I bought it but because it was a brand new model there wasn't really much at all to read about.
Here is a picture of it in the living room, I'm fortunate to be able to keep all my rides in the living room (remember..if your cold, THEIR cold, lol!
Only mods are the mirrors, they fold down lower for a lower profile look, and I painted the fender tip red like the concept version. I always loved how the concept version looked
20210208 214148

a little off topic but in my experience with radios on motorcycles once you are going at highway speeds every tune sounds garbled. I installed an audio bridge on my last three bikes which work very well. It is a device that plugs into your speaker wires that allows you to either listen to your external speakers or plug in earbuds not very hard to install but where to put the box is the issue it is about the size of a pack of cigarettes'.

a little off topic but in my experience with radios on motorcycles once you are going at highway speeds every tune sounds garbled. I installed an audio bridge on my last three bikes which work very well. It is a device that plugs into your speaker wires that allows you to either listen to your external speakers or plug in earbuds not very hard to install but where to put the box is the issue it is about the size of a pack of cigarettes'.

Mine is just horrible at any speed. And I'm not wanting to be one of those guys with the music blaring so everybody within a mile can hear. even when I took it to the local dealer for the brake recall the tech told me the other mgx21 customer had the same complaint. He did hook up a new program tool he just got and adjust some settings or something along those lines and got it to remember the station and settings when I turn the key on again, and that was nice.
He said he thinks the problem is I need a amplifier, which don't make sense to me because it seems like it has the power to push the speakers, its just the speakers start sounding like their blown when you start turning the volume up. When the engine isn't running and my surroundings are quiet, at low volume the speakers sound good. Nice and bassy and clear. And its the same weather I'm listening to the radio or music on the USB drive.
Maybe I will do a video tommorow and post it

Back