• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

"transmission of the odometer control E"

Bacongrease

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Greetings, I have been riding the Stone hard the last few days, and all is well. (2004) Except the odometer control at the transmission does not work. The cable does not rotate. The OP used a Garmin for a speedo.
the manual sez "unscrew the transmission of the odometer control E."
It does not say remove it. This is in the context of removing the trans.
If I unscrew it can I pull it up and out ? Can this be removed and repaired and replaced without pulling the trans ? It appears to be locked up.
? ?

thanks,

Last edited:
Does the speedometer work? If not probably a broken inner cable. The end of the cable at the gearbox can be removed. You will probably find a broken stem of the inner cable and the gearbox end if the bend down to the back of the gearbox is too sharp. Unfasten the speedometer cable at both ends and remove, install new cable. There is a ferule that goes at the gearbox end that goes over the outer sleeve (tight wire wound part). Be sure tu fully seat that end of the cable into the drive then slide the ferule down and tighten the outer part. The speedometer end has a fixed collar on the inner cable. Just install that end normally.

OK on the 5 speed BigBlock, if not spining on trans you can unscrew it out of trans & lift up & out. CAUTION on the bottom there is a washer on a ledge the shaft goes in. It will fall in if not carefull, remove w/magnet stick. Buy another set or just pinion. The ring is on the output shaft, if someone was in there and left the steel bearing out it will not turn. Look in parts diagram.

OK on the 5 speed BigBlock, if not spining on trans you can unscrew it out of trans & lift up & out. CAUTION on the bottom there is a washer on a ledge the shaft goes in. It will fall in if not carefull, remove w/magnet stick. Buy another set or just pinion. The ring is on the output shaft, if someone was in there and left the steel bearing out it will not turn. Look in parts diagram.

Hopefully he won't have to go in that far. I've never seen that piece fail. Most likely the cable.

there was no speedometer when I got the bike. I bought a new cable and a generic speedometer. I installed it but the cable does not rotate. so I was going check with you guys before I unscrew the nut,
and hopefully pull something out to fix without destroying things.

I am wondering what is broke in there and can it be fixed.

Last edited:
Could be someone changed rear output shaft seal or whatever and left the drive ball out. OR teeth are jacked and you need to replace. Unscrew and lift up strait & slow, look for washer on ledge. Drain oil 1st if your more comfortable.

Pulled it out...I didn't find any drive ball, only a washer between the two pieces. I connected the speedo and still not working.

Drive ball is on the ring gear on the output shaft in front of the ujoint. The shaft nut is behind it all tight.
Did the gears on pinion look worn in the center? Did you see the washer on ledge down inside?

yes, the gear was shiny, middle 1/3, but did not look worn, or any thinner than the remainder of the gear.
I saw the " d " shaped washer. thats all I could see down there.

Next step for me would be pull swingarm and have a go at the output shaft.

For me also, but I don't think he has the needed special tools to do that. At this point I would recommend he take it to an experienced Guzzi mechanic.

I will probably wait until cold weather returns in the fall to bust into it and just get by with the Garmin. I do want an analog.

I have a FXR I rode to the Black Hills last fall, but I think I like the Stone better and will take it this fall..

I know Jim at Neds in Riverside, IA, past dealer. Very Good wrench on Guzzi's & BMW. He may still be around.
If it's too much for you, he'd be my choice for help.

well great...the new speedo is now working. However, it sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling down there. Well, maybe not that bad,
but a rattle ? ? ?

Last edited:
well great...the speedo is now working. However, it sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling down there. Well, maybe not that bad,
but a rattle ? ? ?

Sis you get that little washer positioned correctly? I run it down a piece of solid wire to get it into the correct position. I could be bouncing around the speedometer drive.

Back