• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

About to buy a 2014 Custom

John Symchik

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello

I bought a V7 last year and became a guzzi fan. Was supposed to be for my wife and Im curious what a big block is like.

Im about to pull the trigger on a 2014 California custom. Im kind of moving quicker than I usually do because oit seems a good deal and you don't find them around here often, it seems to me.

How's the general satisfaction with these by now. Any updates to newer models that are major. Any major issues to look for like the V7 crank that chews its way out of the block.

In short whos been happy and who not.

Thanks

Hi John,

I bought my 2014 California with 5056 miles last Thursday in Bay Area, CA. So far I put only about 150 miles on it and it is really pleasing ride so far. I can't speak for longer term ownership though but this one looks like a keeper to me.

Hey John
I owned a 2014 custom for a few years and put about 50,000 miles on it when I sold it to my nephew a couple years ago and him and his wife love it and still ride it. I had no problems with it just did the maintenance and tires. It had Todd’s full exhaust system and fueling mods and it ran great. I rode the four corners of the US tour on it plus a bunch of smaller tours and it never missed a beat.

Hi John I traded in a 2008 Harley-Davidson superglide and a 11K USD check for the local dealers heavily discounted - 2014 Custom show room bike in 2016.

I can say, without reservations, the 2014 Custom is the best riding bike I own. Even better than my previous best. the HD I traded in.

Sounding good. Thanks for the replies. Will be nice timing if it all goes as planned. Going to pick it up just at the beginning of a 2 week vacation, including wife vacation for a few days. That means me and the dog hanging aroung in the garage maintenancing the bike ASAP and then riding as much as I can stand.

Love my 2014 Cali 1400 Custom. I swapped the seat for a used Corbin I was lucky enough to run across. I've not had any mechanical failures of any sort at 16400 miles. The cruise control can be intermittent. Factory changed the handgrip controls in 2016, likely to fix that problem. I have uncorked Mistrals mufflers on it. Best road bike I've owned by far...

I'm looking for a used corbin seat for my touring.
In France, it's very very difficult to find out such a seat.
If you have an idea

I liked my 2014 Custom so much, I bought another one. I will soon be selling one of them. Can only ride one at a time..

Attachments

• CC68D685-B699-4238-B5CB-68A61B1A7683.jpeg
    CC68D685-B699-4238-B5CB-68A61B1A7683.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 14
I'm looking for a used corbin seat for my touring.
In France, it's very very difficult to find out such a seat.
If you have an idea

Just watch all the Guzzi online groups catering to the newer generation of engines. Ebay, and of course, right here. A post either here on Guzzitech or Wild Goosechase was where I saw mine. Luckily I had the funds needed available RIGHT THEN. Not the way it usually works around here... ;-)

How's the general satisfaction with these by now. Any updates to newer models that are major. Any major issues to look for like the V7 crank that chews its way out of the block.

Thanks

Short answer: If you think the price is fair, buy it.

I bought my 2014 California 1400 from the original owner with about 3200 miles on it in November of 2014. There are two well documented weaknesses.

One being the crossover pipe on the exhaust that will break where it is welded to the header pipes. Todd has an excellent solution that is well worth the cost.

The second is the extremely poor design of the air box regarding access for changing the air filter. It can be done, but man, what a pain in the ass.

I haven't gotten to ride anywhere as much as I would have liked since I bought it so I have a little less that 30,000 miles on it now. But, during that time the bike has been through 47 states and I would not hesitate to depend on it for any ride.

Love my 2014 Cali 1400 Custom. I swapped the seat for a used Corbin I was lucky enough to run across. I've not had any mechanical failures of any sort at 16400 miles. The cruise control can be intermittent. Factory changed the handgrip controls in 2016, likely to fix that problem. I have uncorked Mistrals mufflers on it. Best road bike I've owned by far...
Hi James. What is the "Intermittent" issue with Cruise control? I have an Eldorado. Cruise works great, the only thing is if you hit a big pothole/bump the Cruise shuts off. Not great when you are riding hands free, steering with body weight. 🤪

Hi James. What is the "Intermittent" issue with Cruise control? I have an Eldorado. Cruise works great, the only thing is if you hit a big pothole/bump the Cruise shuts off. Not great when you are riding hands free, steering with body weight. 🤪
In case you're not aware, the cruise control is designed to disengage when traction loss is detected, part of the traction control system. That's likely what you're experiencing.

Not great when you are riding hands free, steering with body weight. 🤪
Umm…

Of all the times you definitely want your hands on the bars, using cruise control is at the top of my list.

I’ve seen to many videos and even 1 in person live, where brain dead goofballs fell off of their motorcycles which continued on down the road until they crashed.

In the case of the live one I saw once, the guy fell off and the bike went right off the cliff on Mt. Palomar in San Diego.

It was a spectacular but very expensive demolition show!

Back