• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

California 1400 Trans / Final Drive Oil

John Symchik

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hello all

First, thanks for your responses on another thread. I often get cold feet before a purchase but I feel reassured. I'll be, barring anything odd at pickup, going out to get a 2014 1400 Custom on Sunday or Monday. Very clean with Mistrals and a backrest for $6k. I feel like its a decent deal.

I always focus on maintenance immediately with a used or even new bike and will do so here too. I'm trying to sort out what is what with fluids. Everything but the gear oils is clear to me 10w60 engine DOT4 brakes etc.

But Moto Guzzi confuses me with the Trans and Differential specs. Based on the capacities it seems clear that Gearbox is the Transmission and Transmission is the Final Drive or Bevel Drive (the wheel).

What bugs me is that the Gearbox is calling for GL-5 and the Differential for GL-4. Isn't GL-5 bad for this. I thought there was a corrosion issue.

Can someone make it very clear what should be used here. I do have conventional 80W90 Chevron Delo Gear ESI that I use in a BMW GS. It is GL-4 GL-5 MT-1 and understood to be great stuff. Should I just use that. It sure would simplify things. I over maintain my bikes and cars so I don't need the extended drain interval part of synthetics. Everything is so easy on my V7 and most seems so on the California although I'd like to know who to thank for making it necessary to remove the wheel to drain and fill the final drive.

Thank you in advance

John

That oil you have should be fine. Italian translation is not all what it should be. I always look at capacity of said item. Rear drive is usually smaller.

It should be fine, particularly if you follow the normal changing schedule. The GL differences is because Milano is evidently still fond of brass components somewhere and that corrosion issue you mentioned pops up it's head. I personally have never worried about it with my 2014 Custom. 17000 miles so far, bought it in 2015. Been using Redline fluids for the whole driveline since the first oil change. FWIW...

I think I will use that Delo. I read up some more about it and it seems to be held in high regard amongst the crazy people on the Bobistheoilguy forum. Thats the one place evryone WANTS an oil thread. Some are in the business of developing or testing these fluids. Maybe I'll see if its suitable for my V7. That would be great to cover the three bikes that use gear oil with one product.

Back