• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

front rim damage due to pothole

chimmu

Tuned and Synch'ed
I couldn't avoid this pothole the other day I guess and did not realize it until I noticed later that the tire pressure was at 28 from 36..... I had ridden about 140mi without knowing about this.......the other side and back wheels look ok, including the front tire.... I'm guessing the only option for me is to change the front rim?

- 3k miles on a 2017 Cal 1400 bought new about 14 months ago.

Attachments

• front_rim_pothole.jpeg
    front_rim_pothole.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 36
Try a Google search for alloy motorcycle wheel repairs. It should be repairable assuming it's not cracked as it lost only 8psi in 140 miles.

Wow, that must have been a hard shot! I didn't think they had potholes like that in California. Or does CA stand for Canada in this case. That I could understand. Here in Quebec I spend most of my time dodging potholes and cracks.

Try a Google search for alloy motorcycle wheel repairs. It should be repairable assuming it's not cracked as it lost only 8psi in 140 miles.
Thanks..looks like there is a motorcycle "Wheel Works" close by...I'll try them on Tuesday.

Wow, that must have been a hard shot! I didn't think they had potholes like that in California. Or does CA stand for Canada in this case. That I could understand. Here in Quebec I spend most of my time dodging potholes and cracks.
Yes..parts of Oakland have very bad potholes.... the area close to the Port of Oakland and because of big rig traffic I guess....

Not sure where you are in CA... but most any automotive wheel repair facility can do it. Downside is that the finish will get ruined, so you have to re-powder-coat the wheel. If you're in SoCal, I can be of help. Keep in mind a new rim is ~$275. Might be close on the repair/recoat. Ping me direct email if I can be of help; Info @GuzziTech.com

At ~ $275 for a new rim from Todd, that would be a no brainer for me, especially if that includes bearings.

Obviously, that was one hell of an impact on that rim, that's for sure!

Not sure where you are in CA... but most any automotive wheel repair facility can do it. Downside is that the finish will get ruined, so you have to re-powder-coat the wheel. If you're in SoCal, I can be of help. Keep in mind a new rim is ~$275. Might be close on the repair/recoat. Ping me direct email if I can be of help; Info @GuzziTech.com

Thanks for the info. I'm 5 hrs north of you in the SF bay area..... I checked with a dealer here and its $375 (includes bearings) and they gave me 10% off but they are not sure on the lead times.. if it was in the KY warehouse...I can expect it sooner I believe. I'll shop around for labor as they wanted 2 hrs. If I make a trip down there, I'll try to get something done by you.

Thanks for the info. I'm 5 hrs north of you in the SF bay area..... I checked with a dealer here and its $375 (includes bearings) and they gave me 10% off but they are not sure on the lead times.. if it was in the KY warehouse...I can expect it sooner I believe. I'll shop around for labor as they wanted 2 hrs. If I make a trip down there, I'll try to get something done by you.
OK, Mine is $275 with bearings, no tax. $55 swap. The warehouse is in Atlanta, not KY. I normally do not discuss this on the Forum. Direct email only per my words above if interested; Info @GuzziTech.com

Why wouldn’t you get them from Todd? Cheaper and supports this site.

I can tell you that I bought new Stelvio cast wheels from Todd and they arrived in perfect condition.

2A5C6689 262B 4ACE A834 5A0C8043F5C3 4D4BB17F 614E 4937 8753 F45AD5BF153A 74AA6761 D5E4 41DF 92C2 F320656EDE6B

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t you get them from Todd? Cheaper and supports this site.

I can tell you that I bought new Stelvio cast wheels from Todd and they arrived in perfect condition.

I would love to....I can cancel my order tomorrow with the dealer. I'm a little concerned to ride like this for 5 hrs...but I can buy and get it installed locally.

What?

Any motorcycle shop with a quality tire machine can change out the tire on the wheel for you.

You don’t have to drive 5 hours.

I’m sure that Todd can send your wheel directly to you just like he did mine to me.

I would love to....I can cancel my order tomorrow with the dealer. I'm a little concerned to ride like this for 5 hrs...but I can buy and get it installed locally.

I am also from Nor-cal area (Fremont).

I also suggest the same as others mentioned here. It seems no brainer with the price quoted by Todd to you compared to dealer's quote. Any motorcycle shop should be able to switch and put tires on for you for 20-30 bucks if you can remove the front wheel from bike yourself. If you live in area with no access to lift the bike on jack, no access to certain tools then I think you are looking at 80-100 bucks for those shops to remove wheel, swap tire to new rim and install new rim.

It definitely sucks to get into such situation though. I have seen that Oakland dock area and can easily relate your experience with potholes.

sorry about the delayed reply:

I received the wheel and it took about a week. I did not want to do it myself and the dealer wanted about $300, another local mechanic wanted $150... I finally decided to sign up for a tire change class at Moto Guild, they said it was okay to swap the rim during the class and I was able to learn, fix under supervision for $90. Best 3 hrs I have spent working on my bike :).

Attachments

• front_rim.jpg
    front_rim.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 16
Back