• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Rust stained water from inside frame

David Griffiths

Tuned and Synch'ed
I went for a ride and noticed a rather large rust stain on the diff, swing arm and rear wheel. I identified it was coming from a threaded tube tab just in front of the right shock. This is one of the mounting points for my saddle bag brackets which I recently removed to change the rear tyre. It is covered by the plastic inner rear guard and has a rubber plug of the end tubes on either side. Water is getting in on the right hand side as the plug isn't fully seated. The right hand side tab goes into the frame as I put a piece of wire into the tab. Now To get to the plug I'll have to remove rear guard and inner plastic rear guard to seal the rubber plug. I am fortunate to have picked this up as the could have eventually rusted from the inside.

20210411 165427 20210411 165457 20210411 165523 20210411 215732

Yes I will need to definitely do that! I was thinking of drilling a small hole at the lowest point to drain any trapped water,dry out and spray water repellent WD40, fish oil or something similar and if water was to re enter it should escape through the drilled hole.

Yes I will need to definitely do that! I was thinking of drilling a small hole at the lowest point to drain any trapped water,dry out and spray water repellent WD40, fish oil or something similar and if water was to re enter it should escape through the drilled hole.

I have used fluid film spray in the past for its excellent anti-corrosion properties. It's a little bit more expensive that WD 40, but more likely to stick around too. Recommended for use on boats etc so should be good for your bike. Readily available at most hardware stores.

Last edited:
I have used used fluid film spray in the past for its excellent anti-corrosion properties. It's a little bit more expensive that WD 40 but more likely to stick around too. Recommended for use on boats etc so should be good for your bike readily available most hardware stores.

That's what I was thinking. More like Krown rustproofing. It's a little thicker but creeps into nooks and crannies. (wow, there's an old school term.)

So I found some time further investigate. There is alot more water than I was hoping for. I located where the water was escaping from. Its in between the relays a plastic support tab with a rubber grommet under it. After I drilled it out there was a locating pin in the rubber grommet shown in the last photo. To drill a hole to drain the water is a little more involved than I originally thought as I will have to remove the cast aluminium support bracket for the footpegs, exhaust and remote shock reservoir to gain enough access to drill a hole. I'm asking for any other ideas before I go ahead. I've also noticed the other side has some rust stain but not as bad. I added some photos so you get a better idea of what I am talking about. Thanks in advance.

20210420 083819 20210420 083844 20210420 085155 20210420 085500 20210420 085635 20210420 085658

No the tab is plastic and you can see water in the the tube. Refer to the original post at the top to see how much rust stained water spilled out.

Back