• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 ii basic maintenance?

DirtieGirtie

Just got it firing!
Hi guys.
After years of admiring Guzzi's, I finally pulled the trigger on a new-to-me 2015 V7 ii (stone?) with glossy red tank. She has a mere 5300 miles but has sat for a few years. I took 2 hours last weekend and scrubbed every inch of dust off her with a toothbrush... I like to get to know my bikes that way. Anyways, what maintenance do you guys suggest right off the bat?

1. Oil change. I completed the oil change last night. Road her around the block (first time riding her!) to warm up the oil and changed it out, along with the filter. Should be good for the year. It did feel kinda strange only putting 2L of oil in her... my Raider takes 4.5 quarts.

2. Transmission and Gear Box oil change. I ordered the correct weight oils and should be able to do those this weekend.

3. Fuel Filter? It looks like the 50/50 metal/plastic fuel filter is a common failure point. I ordered a new all metal filter and will replace it sometime this summer.

4. Rear tire. The current one is bald. Like, REALLY bald. Just going around the block I could feel the rear end skid out a bit with every downshift. Anyways, I'm not a super aggressive rider so any new tire would be better than the one on there now! So I found a highly rated tire that is on super clearance right now and thought I would share. $38 for a 130/80R-17 rear!
chapmoto.com/dunlop-trailsmart-dual-sport-radial-rear-tire.html
They also sell on Amazon at the same price.

5. Regulator? I've seen a few posts about people going to a MOSFET regulator. Is this something I should consider?

Anything else I should consider doing? E.g. On some bikes a certain electrical connection or switch is highly susceptible to failure so it's advisable to clean it and lube it up with e-contact grease to prevent being stuck on the side of the road. Anything like that on a 2015 V7 I should do right away?

I forgot to mention my battery debacle.

On Thursday I ordered a replacement battery off of Amazon. On Saturday they delivered a battery... about 3 times the size of the one I ordered, and a deep-cycle to boot. They refunded my money and said, "It's too heavy to return, just keep it."

On Saturday I ordered another battery, I choose it because it had next day delivery. Sunday came and went. Monday a battery was delivered... this time about twice the size of the one I ordered. I looked it up; it's for a Harley. Amazon refunded my money and told me to keep it. Again.

Yesterday I went to a batteriesplus store and bought a battery.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these batteries in my garage, LOL!

Thats a great bike and year. It's just a V7. Not a II. That was 2016 and 2017 is a III. Confusing but lots of difference when asking questions.
You most likely over filled the oil. Check warm to hot upright. Use a 2x4 under the side stand if no center stand. At the lower line to a max of midway up the hatch mark. If too much it gets blown into the air box. 5.6 ounces max.
Put a volt meter on the battery while running. 14-14.9 at 3500 max. Any more and you will need a regulator.

Hmmm... I've read that US moto guzzi's here in the states are usually one year behind other countries.
Mine is definitely a 2015.
It definitely has a gloss red tank.
It was advertised as a V7 stone... but online it looks like the 2015 stone models have matte finish paint, not glossy. But now that I look up 2014 V7 Stone I see that it has a glossy red tank.

So do I have this right...
A 2015 V7 ii Stone in most of the world = 2016 V7 ii Stone in the states.
A 2014 V7 Stone in most of the world = 2015 V7 Stone in the states. (mine)

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a Moto Guzzi.

@vagrant: I will check the oil hot. When you say 5.6 ounces... you mean fill it with only 5.6 ounces? The tech manual said something like 2.01 Liters with an oil and filter change. That equates to 68 ounces. Or do you mean remove 5 - 6 ounces?

Crap - I just realized I have the service manual for a 2015 V7 ii... which is a 2016 model in the states... which means I need the service manual for a 2014 V7 to properly maintain my 2015 V7... wow, that is confusing!!!

Crap - I just realized I have the service manual for a 2015 V7 ii... which is a 2016 model in the states... which means I need the service manual for a 2014 V7 to properly maintain my 2015 V7... wow, that is confusing!!!
And that is a critical one as the V7 Mk II uses HALF the gear oil for the transmission/gearbox that the V7 does... The '13-15 V7 uses 1L.
Do NOT overfill the engine oil; It holds ~1.6L max. It is well covered on the Forum here. Try a search or two and read up. ;)

Thanks, GTM. I've taken 400ml back out of her.

I'm a wrencher, so I'm embarrassed that I have to ask questions of how to properly take an oil measurement, but here goes...

1. The manual (I now have the correct one) states, "Switch off the engine and wait at least five minutes to allow the lubricant to drain back into the sump." That seems as though it would raise the oil reading, but I've never heard of anyone suggesting I wait five minutes to take an oil reading. 30 seconds to let the oil settle in the pan? Yeah, that's usually where I'm at... but 5 minutes?
- Do you suggest waiting 5 minutes before taking a measurement with the dip stick?

2. The manual states, "Refit the cap with dipstick into its hole without tightening." I was always taught to default to not thread a dipstick unless specifically instructed by the mfg'er.
- So do you lightly thread the threads on the dipstick into the block, or just position the dipstick in the hole WITHOUT threading any of the threads?

Sorry for being anal - I've just never had a bike where 400ml's of oil is the difference between "low" and "too high & gonna cause issues". I would think either of the above technique questions could alter the measurement by that much.

Last edited:
the 5.6 is for the rear end or final drive.
Yours is a 2015, V7 Stone with tach and speedo here in the state and a 5 speed transmission just like my old one.

Attachments

• DSC01606.JPG
    DSC01606.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01607.JPG
    DSC01607.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 4
So is it safe to say the 5 speed Stones (US 2013-2015) has the larger capacity gearbox oil and the 6 speed stone (US 2016 ii) has a 6 speed and uses ~1/2 the capacity of the 5 speed Stones?

So rocking and clicking through gears, DirtieGirtie can find our 5 spd vs 6 spd and be 100% sure of gearbox oil capacity?

Thanks, GTM. I've taken 400ml back out of her.

I'm a wrencher, so I'm embarrassed that I have to ask questions of how to properly take an oil measurement, but here goes...

1. The manual (I now have the correct one) states, "Switch off the engine and wait at least five minutes to allow the lubricant to drain back into the sump." That seems as though it would raise the oil reading, but I've never heard of anyone suggesting I wait five minutes to take an oil reading. 30 seconds to let the oil settle in the pan? Yeah, that's usually where I'm at... but 5 minutes?
- Do you suggest waiting 5 minutes before taking a measurement with the dip stick?

2. The manual states, "Refit the cap with dipstick into its hole without tightening." I was always taught to default to not thread a dipstick unless specifically instructed by the mfg'er.
- So do you lightly thread the threads on the dipstick into the block, or just position the dipstick in the hole WITHOUT threading any of the threads?

Sorry for being anal - I've just never had a bike where 400ml's of oil is the difference between "low" and "too high & gonna cause issues". I would think either of the above technique questions could alter the measurement by that much.

Which manual are you using and is it available online for download? I've got a 2014 V7 Racer which, should be the same mechanically as your 2015 stone and I've been trying to find the factory parts and service manual for it. I've been able to find the Euro manual for my year but then it's for the V7II and not the V7 one like mine (ours).

JD - I originally downloaded a manual for a V7 ii with ABS and the 6-spd geerbox. I think I got it from another forum. That's the one that would have instructed me to replace the gear oil with twice as much as is necessary (and a slightly different weight).

The one I have now is for the V7 stone. I did download it, but not for free... it was $8.99 from AF1 Racing. I'm fine supporting a company such as that and $9 is still a really good deal for the amount of info in it.

I'll get some pics of my new girl in the next day or so. I'm in love. :)

Measuring what comes out as being "gospel" is just wrong. As shown in the past the dealers and the factory get it wrong sometimes. As I recall the 2015 5 speed still had a level plug.
If someone over there had 1/2 a brain they would stamp the CC's in the side of the cases like the Japanese used to do.

Measuring what comes out as being "gospel" is just wrong. As shown in the past the dealers and the factory get it wrong sometimes. As I recall the 2015 5 speed still had a level plug.
If someone over there had 1/2 a brain they would stamp the CC's in the side of the cases like the Japanese used to do.

Gospel no , a general indication maybe ?
Too much fluid in the gear box wouldn’t be quite as detrimental as too much engine oil !

DirtieGirlie, you have a V7, and so do I. Your gearbox, the thing right behind your engine, holds a quart of gear oil, Use 85w-90 or as close to that as you can find. The final drive, the pineapple in the middle of the rear wheel, which Guzzi calls a "transmission," uses 85w-140, and the conventional wisdom is to use dinosaur oil, not synthetic, and my suggestion is to use 5.4oz of it, not the amount Guzzi calls for in the service manual. When you change the two gear oils, it's good to change the special washers on the drain plugs.
Your tires on your V7 are NOT radials! Most people will tell you that using one radial (with the other tire being a bias-ply tire) is unwise. Replacing that bald tire is a good idea but a bit of research is worthwhile. There are several fine alternatives from the major motorcycle tire companies. Saving money on tires is chancy. I'm sorry if I sound like your dad here... Oh, I run factory tire pressures, 37psi, front & rear and I wear a really good helmet and boots and clothing with armor every time I ride...

Back