• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Hello from Croatia :)

So the connector or clip (9) that keeps the oil line secure might need to be replaced ?
The oil level is still good, if it’s leaking you would be down a bit ?

Well, that was a nice 2000km in the past month and a half.

Unfortunately I am obviously unlucky. Today I was riding with my friends, after cca 250km we decide to stop and rest a bit. When we continue riding, and after a maybe one kilometer all lights come on on dash, ECU error occured on LCD, motor stalled, and everything went blank. A smoke start rising under the seat and I've stopped.

After quick reaction and disconnecting the battery we've noticed that starter motor burned as well as some wires around. It seems that the starter motor engaged at one point, but I didn't noticed diferent sound due to the loud exhaust on my friends bike.

WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 174717

I've disconect all connected wires from the starter motor, Isolate all burned wires, and we managed to start the bike by pushing it.

The bike seems to ride ok, no strange behaviors, no stalling, just normal feeling. It pulls like it shoud, no dash errors, nothing. I've manage to come home, but the starter motor is toast.

I've dissasembly starter motor and the plastic bit that holds planetary gears is compleatly melted, stucking all the gears and the motor.

I've manage to remove gears, assembly the motor back and test it. It spins, but wires become hot very fast. I've noticed some wires on rotor compleatly without varnish, anyhow the motor is done and I need a new one.

WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 184610
WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 184611
WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 203455
WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 203445

I have two concers/questions.

Why and how did starter motor engaged?

And is it possible to install starter motor from Breva 700ie/Nevada750ie?

I've found on part catalouge that Breva 1100 can use Valeo and Bosch starter motor (I had a Bosch), and Valeo is usually found on Breva 750, I would like to try Valeo since my friend have a spare one from his Breva 750.

WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 210518
WhatsApp Image 2021 05 15 at 195612
Does it fits? Can I use it?

Sorry all for a long post, but I would really like to fix my bike as soon as possible and continue riding Moto Guzzi. :)

I will be grateful for any your suggestion or help.

Thank you all in advance, I knw that you're the best. :)

While you are on starter you should do the 'startus interuptus' mod. This is for better starter power draw to the solenoid. Just search for it here on forum.

Well, the previous owner applied (due to the starting issues) one of the models for "startus interuptus". He added an additional wire parallel-connected with the existing installation, and a hidden but easily accessible taster button that is directly connected from the battery to the solenoid.

As far I can see, he added a few more wires in order to maybe bypass the ECU and sensors if I'm not mistaken, I'm not an expert in auto electrics, and the previous owner is not easily reachable for the comments, so I can't confirm that, either I'm not sure what he did exactly. :(

The downside of this solution is that you can crank the motor even if the key isn't inserted and there is no contact, the engine won't start without the key, but it cranks.

I've upgraded this solution, first by replacing tiny wires and bad connectors/soldering added by the previous owner, then with adding a fuse in the circuit, and with adding an additional on/off switch under the seat, which is not accessible without raising the seat, so I can "turn off" the hidden switch.

I've also managed to partially solve the issue with the starting switch on the handlebar by resoldering all the wires and connectors in the switch itself. After this, the bike can be started easily on the switch at the handlebar about 95% of the time. I've noticed that sometimes doesn't work when the bike is hot from the riding, then I crank it with the hidden button.

Once I receive a replacement starter motor I'll triple-check the handlebar switch as well as all other installations.

It's not a nice feeling when the bike starts smoking while you're riding. :)

Hello everyone! :)

Let me write a brief review of the season for now. :) 8000km behind us of pure pleasure.

The dripping oil problem turned out to be a cracked "Breather pipe" hose, after replacing the hose (with the generic hose from the local car parts shop) everything was fine.
1632467810313 resize
1632467815261 resize

CPbZryb

I've used this opportunity to clean the "K&N" air filter (as the previous owner told me that the "K&N" filter was installed), but after opening the airbox I found that not that there is no "K&N" filter there but the stock OEM filter that has never been replaced before, the filter was so dirty and full of debris that it was a miracle how the bike worked at all. I hardly found a new filter in Croatia, I think that it was the last one on the shelf, but after replacing it, the bike was much happier (And I as well).

1632467867013 resize

Before vacation, I've replaced the front brake pads, since the left rotor was completely worn out, the right rotor pads were okay. I've replaced the braking fluid and bleed the system, and now the pads are evenly wearing.
1632467841050 resize
1632467846003 resize

(I went on a vacation with the bike and my wife took the kids in the car :D )

Yesterday I had to disassembly the whole bike since it got soaking wet and It couldn't start. After turning the key it asked for key code to be inserted, and "SERVICE" was written on the dash. Trying to cranck and bike died completely, I had to push it almost a mile to garage.

In the end, It turned out that water got into the dash causing a short circuit. I've dried all connections, cleaned all corrosion, reassembled the dash, and re-seal it. Since the whole bike was disassembled I've cleaned all connectors, from turning signal, lambda sonde, air temperature sonde, to all relays and headlamp, literally all connectors. And now everything works as it should.

Here are some more pictures from this season. :)

1632467486774 resize 1632467507375 resize 1632467526047 resize 1632467539386 resize 1632467610394 resize 1632467647834 resize 1632467660116 resize 1632467723992 resize

Greetings to all Guzzists from Croatia! ;)

I haven't written anything for a long time, so let me praise my Breva.

Considering the warm winter, it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to drive, before driving the Breva was given a winter cleaning.

As the seams on the old seat broke, I found the perfect excuse to treat her to a new seat, I managed to find a new original seat in red and it fits her perfectly. I've replaced the badges with black ones (also, a hard mission to find ones these days), and, thanks to a friend, Breva "lost" the catalyst, the pops, and bangs are making me grin underneath the helmet all the time now.

20231229 151340 01

She's 16 years old and the clock is showing 53000km, but damm she looks good.

To continue the story, new year, new decision, new motorcycle...

Breva got company (I already posted in another post, but to group everything in one place).

So the story goes something like this.

I've always been attracted to big choppers and touring bikes, so the California 1400 has always been a wish of mine, but constantly priced out of my budget (at least the examples that would be by my standards). I was constantly browsing the EU classifieds for a good catch.

Just before Christmas, I came across an ad on Slovenian Classifieds for a 2013 California 1400 Touring at a used motorcycle dealer.

The pictures showed a few minor damages on the right side of the motorcycle, but there was also no "touring" equipment, crash bars, or windshield. But the price was what attracted me the most, almost half the price of the next first cheapest California I saw. It was on my mind the whole time so I got in the car and went to look at the motorcycle.

Cosmetically the bike was far from what I wanted but it made a solid base, the dealer wasn't talkative, didn't give much detail, I wasn't able to test drive the bike, nor were we able to negotiate a price, so I turned my back and left.

But I had no peace, California was in my head the whole time. A few days after the new year, the decision was made - I will go, buy it, whatever happens. I have a garage, I have time, I have the will, and I will slowly, like the Breva, bring the motorcycle to the condition I want. Plus, since the bike is damaged, I don't have to go for the OEM look, I can make it look as I wish... What could possibly go wrong?

I borrowed a van from a friend, invited another friend with me, and went to Slovenia again. Given that I came by van this time intending to take a motorcycle, the dealer was a little more accommodating. This time I've test ride the bike. He said he bought the bike through a French auction site he often buys bikes from, he had no history of the bike, just one key, but he agreed to negotiate a price.

The motorcycle was bought! The dealer provides all the damaged parts with the motorcycle, we load it into the van and that's it, we're going home! Finally California!

Now that it's in the garage, I'm starting with disassembly and repairs. I straightened the bent crash bars and patched them with body filler, I also patched the scratched chrome bezel of the front light as well as the fog lamp housings with body filler and had everything painted in matte black. The seat, which was white, cracked, and could not be washed, was also treated and painted full black.

Anyway, the work is progressing well and I'm looking forward to spring.

But the story does not end there. Given that the motorcycle did not come with any service history, that I did not receive a spare key, that I do not know what the user code is on the board, that the bike has a retrofitted alarm/immobilizer, and I had a lot of questions. I decided to look for the previous owner.

It is amazing what can be found on the Internet if one is resourceful. After searching, I managed to find the cell phone number of the former owner and call him in France.

Even though he was not thrilled that some unknown Croatian called him there and bragged that he had bought his beloved motorcycle, he still shared some very important information with me.

He was the first owner (he says this is his 3rd California, he bought the first one in the 80s), he used the motorcycle exclusively for touring trips, the motorcycle was properly maintained every 10,000 km (currently at 96,000 km) in an authorized service at the same mechanic, and confirmed my suspicion that the motorcycle participated in a low-speed accident.
He also told me that, just before the accident, he had decided to sell the motorcycle because, given his age, it had become too heavy for him.
He also said that immediately after the accident, the motorcycle was inspected at an authorized service by his mechanic and that he was told that the motorcycle was 100% mechanically sound and safe to ride. I asked him to send me a spare key if he had one, but he didn't seem like he would even though he didn't say he didn't have it.

Anyway, it turned out that I bought a solid motorcycle that I always wanted. A little love, a little effort, and it will shine again on the road this spring.
Here are some pictures so you don't read this story in vain.

Pictures from ad
2056710 3056754 4056770
5056795 6056835 11056966

20231227 123851
20231227 130440

Pickup day

20240104 130458 20240104 130507

First time together
IMG 20240104 WA0010
IMG 20240104 WA0013

Work in progress

20240113 153926 20240110 183322 20240110 194242 20240109 172036 20240109 193013 20240117 195820 20240117 195834

Last edited:
Back