• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Spark plug torque

Patto

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone , quick question does any one know what the torque setting is for the spark plugs ? , tried to find it my downloaded manual but no luck so far

Where did u get that spec from. 10mm plugs in an aluminum head are 7 to 8 ft-lbs dry. Think u are quoting NM.

That being said easier and safer to use an angle torque. For 10mm it is 180° or 1/2 turn from when the gasket touches the base for a new plug and 30° or 1/12th turn for a reused plug.

You won't find it, it's not there!! Not in any C14 manual. If you go to the 8V 1200 manuals it may say 18ftlbs in 09 but is wrongly carried over from Breva man. I looked in Aprillia's manuals for 10mm plug.
You could also look in a old Honda man.

Does somebody actually use a torque wrench to install spark plugs ?
I ask because during my 42 years as a motorcycle mechanic I've never used
a torque wrench on spark plugs , never stripped one and never had one come loose ,
I must've changed a shipping pallet worth of plugs in that time . Oh yes , YMMV .Peter

a torque wrench on spark plugs , never stripped one and never had one come loose ,
I must've changed a shipping pallet worth of plugs in that time . Oh yes , YMMV .Peter
Same here. I'm not a mechanic but have wrenched my own bikes and cars since I was 11 years old, so 51 years worth.

Me too if I'm honest, get them tight then one tiny extra little snick. The only time I have stripped threads is when I WAS using a torque wrench for a small bolt on a jet ski. I got a wrench that covered the range but it didn't click at 6lb ft (bottem end of the scale), at least nothing that I could hear or feel, so I kept going and.....well you know the rest.

From the NGK website..
Installation Instructions for new Spark Plug:

1. Confirm that the thread reach of the spark plug is the right one for the engine.
2. Remove any dirt at the gasket seat of the cylinder head.
3. Tighten the spark plug finger tight first until the gasket reaches the cylinder head, then screw about 1/2 – 2/3 turn more with a plug
wrench. (Conical seat; about 1/16 turn more).

Attachments

• SP-installation-torque-setting-specifications.jpg
    SP-installation-torque-setting-specifications.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 22
Back